Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,414 users have contributed to 42,226 threads and 254,785 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• This problem was solved for me by taking my daisy-chained MOTU 828mk3 out of the rig.

• Kevin, We had email server issues and all mail has been lost in the last week. Can you email me again please so i can save your details. Sorry about that. Best Mike

• I too am experiencing random dropouts.  Using Logic 9 on Mac Pro Dual Quad with 10G.

This random dropout happens even when I am playing one instrument only.  It is more like the random dropout you get when demoing a program.  I am saying that even without any load being placed on sample playback, audio drops out randomly.

• Try using "built in Audio". Do you still get the dropouts?

Which audio hardware/drivers do you have?

Check your hard disk drive where the VSL content is stored: Is it fast enough (min. 7200 rpm)? Is it maybe too full or fragmented?

In case that the problem persists we will need some more detailed information about your setup, including software versions numbers and a description how exactly your VSL software is used.

Kind regards,

Maya

• Maya, It is not disc speed or fragmentation because I am not using any of the VSL instruments.  I am using VE Pro with my old Kontakt template.  4 instances. One each with one Kontakt with one section of the orch.  I put a short section in a loop and it played fine over my built-in audio BUT it played fine (as  loop) with my Mobile I/O ULN 2 also.

The dropouts happen (most of the time) just as I start my timeline running in Logic Pro.  The dropouts are not like small dropouts. These are up to a second or more long.  As I said, it is like a demo restriction with audio just dropping out for a second.

In one case I noticed that there was no VU movement in VE Pro during a dropout.

Mac Pro 2 x 3.2 GHz Quad Core Zeon, 10 G ram

System 10.5.8

Logic Pro 9.0.2

Kontakt 4.0.12755

Mobile I/O 5.2 (with latest and correct firmware)

VE Pro v4.0 build 4686

I always boot my computer and then load VE Pro first.  If I don't do that VE Pro does not work correctly.  I can modify the current (Kontakt)  instruments when they are in VE Pro but I cannot load any new instruments or VE Pro will freeze with spinning beachball.

I have 4 instances of VE Pro running in the server.  One each with one instance of Kontakt.  

• Do you use "Plug-in MIDI" or IAC busses etc. for Kontakt?

/Regards,

• Maya, I do NOT use any external midi (is that what you mean by midi plug-in?)

NO IAC busses.

I try to keep my system as bare bones as possible.  There are no other apps running when I'm using VE Pro except for Logic Pro.

Additional info.  It seemed (and I will gain more info today as I work) that the dropout got longer as I worked.  It started as a hesitation and became a 1+ second gap.

• This morning's experience does not verify that the dropouts are only when I PLAY my project.  I've noticed that the dropouts can happen any where, any time.  Its not like its happening all the time.   A few minutes can go by without dropouts.  But they are regularly occurring (in a random sort of way).

• BTW I should mention (this just dawned on me) that all of the VE Pro instruments drop out at the same time.  Any instruments that are instantiated in Logic continue to play.

I've added a piano in EXS only recently, so please do not take into account that there are any instruments loaded in Logic that may cause this problem since my earlier posts were results from VE Pro being the only loaded instruments.  No standalone and none in Logic (except for the added piano).

BTW I am not getting a scroll bar in your forum on at least one of my computers running Safari.

• There is and has been throughout this project (and therefore regarding this issue) one instance of Alti Verb within Logic.  (sorry, forgot about it.)

And my project is running at 48K  (always has been)  The Mobile IO is set to 48K, Logic is set to 48K and VE Pro are all set to 48K.

• Its 5:25 and after a day of working with this project, the dropouts are lasting about 3 seconds.  As an additional problem, I believe that some cc information is not getting through.  I am getting many stuck notes  and have had to put multiple cc points on each line to make sure that the cc info is picked up.

• MOST of my network problems where solved by getting two intel ethernet controllers and setting jumbo frame to the max in the drivers and i fooled around with some other settings.. i still get some drop-outs, but very sporadic.

• seems like a bunch of you guys were able to figure this out for yourselves. me on the other hand...

this thread has been going since the beginning of october, it is now mid-december, and i have to admit that i'm getting very, very frustrated with this issue. i do suspect that in my particular case this might very well be a networking issue. cubase runs flawlessly, and when i look at the vePro meters, i don't actually "see" the drop outs, so i'm assuming vePro is sending the audio data back to the master, but for the life of me, i can not figure out where exactly the problem lies.

at this point i am using cubase 5 on my master pc (as was suggested to me in an earlier post), and i have three instances of vePro on my slave pc (see detailed specs in initial post of this thread), and i am not able to do a proper mixdown of a 2 minute wav file, since there is always some sort of click, pop, audio drop out, or stuck midi note(s) during export. always in a different spot, always completely arbitrary, and i'm at the end of my wits. if anybody from the VSL crew would like to take this head on, feel free to do so. contact me for any additional details you might need. i'll be glad for any and all help. i can't be sitting here for 3 hours, trying to get a "lucky" mixdown of a 2 minute audio file - i NEED to get this figured out.

thanx,
    t

• Casual-t, what is your audio interface?

• last edited
    last edited

@lenersen said:

Casual-t, what is your audio interface?

hi lasse...

i use my trusty old "echo layla 24.96"

• Were you able to figure this out?  I too am experiencing the same issue using Logic 9 and VE PRO.  

• last edited
    last edited

Yes - I am having all this trouble NOW with 4686. Never had stuck notes on previous builds. Come on VSL - if you are claiming to be the best - sort this problem out for us all. And while you are about it why not make some effort to put the Imperial IN TUNE and add half pedalling, without which it can never be a serious instrument in spite of what it costs us.

Robert John Godfrey

www.theenid.co.uk

===============================================================================================

Cubase 5.10

Windows XP on DAW - 7 on slaves

• FYI build 4780 does NOT fix this problem for me.

To complicate matters for my troubleshooting, I switched to 10.6.2 after Christmas.  (I thought that I could use 64 bit VE Pro server in Snow Leopard but only 64 bit plugs appear in the menu!?@#?)

But I get the same dropouts...maybe more and eventually a crash.

I wish this could get solved.  VE Pro seemed like such an elegant solution.  Nothing elegant about it yet.  Well, I take that back.  When Kontakt is not in the mix, VE Pro seems to work OK.

Of course, the reason I bought it was so that I could load a bunch of Kontakts and keep them loaded as I switched projects.

• Talk about strange behavior!!!

I accidently left my computer on last night with the same project that I had the above problems with.

I've written this email to tech support and this is very important to my strange results.

I have 6 instances of VE Pro in a VE Pro Server meta template.   Without loading or unloading anything (after the initial load sequence) VE Pro Server is using 926.2 M of RAM.

This is with 5 instances using Kontakt 4 and one instance with a totally empty instance of Omnisphere in it.

The Kontakt Memory Server only has 452.8M in it.

Why would the VE Pro server use more RAM than the Kontakt Memory Server with all of the samples sitting in the Kontakt Memory server and not in VE Pro????

Is VE Pro loading all of these samples into it as well?  Could this be causing the extreme delays that lead to audio dropouts?

I hope you understand my question and why it seems very important to me.  Here's a recap.

I have only Kontakt 4 (except for an empty OMnisphere (which might take 300M even unloaded).  Why is the VE Pro memory use so high when there are no samples in it?
    But, after I left the computer on all night... it worked perfectly the next morning.  No audio drop outs, no memory warnings in Logic.  EVerything was perfect.
    Except VE Pro had crashed during the night.  whenever I put the cursor over VE Pro on my desktop the beachball would appear.  (this signifies that the app that is under the cursor has crashed)  Logic was fine.  But the Kontakt Memory Server no longer appeared in my top bar.  It had crashed too??
    So, I worked all day with VE Pro crashed and Kontakt Memory Server missing from action  AND it all worked perfectly.
    Now if I can just figure out how to crash VE Pro every morning after I boot it all up!
    Note that in the Activity Monitor, VE Pro Server is not responding (which is how it appeared on the desktop) and the Kx Memory Server has the 471 M or so that it should have but its icon was not apparent on the top of my screen.  The spinning becahball cursor did not show up in the screen shot.  When it hovered over VE Pro it was a beach ball.  When it hovered over Logic it appeared normal .  Logic worked great.
    Since the samples for Kontakt are loading twice, both in Kontakt Memory server and in VE Pro, I assume that VE Pro and Kontakt's memory server are not playing together.   I'll try Kontakt without the memory server and hope that will fix the problem.
    Althoug, I hope there will be a solution because I don't want to have to switch the Kontakt Memory server on and off with each project.
    screen shot of activity monitor

• well, it seems I was wrong about VE Pro loading the Kontakt samples as well as the Kontakt Server.

But, it works great when Kontakt is NOT using the Kontakt Memory Server.

Without the KMS, VE Pro loads an equal amount as the KMS did before.