Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Thanks for your interest, Patrik.

Actually Vienna MIR Downloadable is ready. We are giving it a few extra testing-cycles and polishing touches, though. The offcial release is only a few weeks ahead, unless the beta-testers encounter a real show-stopper.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  If MIR sits inside the Vienna Ensemble (and it does, yes?), then why do both MIR and VE need 3rd party vst support?

Please excuse my ignorance :)

• My understanding from reading the forums is that MIR initial release does not sit inside VE3.  In it's first release MIR is not setup for audio over ethernet.  I am sure they will implement a network version in the future (as they said they are looking into it).  But the first release you will need a machine with a dedicated audio interface to connect to your sequencer.  So if you are running a dedicated VE3 machine now and a seperate DAW machine you will need to get another audio interface for whatever machine you run MIR.

Maestro2be

•  just to have that added: MIR can for sure not be run on *whatever machine* ... we have tested it on an i7 965 XE (3.2 GHz) with 12 GB memory ... i would assume an i7 920 (2.66 GHz) or 940 (2.93 GHz) would do the job also pretty well since speed of memory bus is the most important factor.

btw: the systems have hyperthreading enabled (4 real and 4 virtual processors) since this setting allows better load balancing for the calculation units, also the 8MB L3 cache seems to help a lot ...

interestingly an 8 core XEON 3.2 GHz i5400 board did not deliver a performance even close to the i7 ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks for interjecting Christian.  All I meant by "whatever machine" was the machine he decides to run MIR on.  Whether or not his machines make the requirements of being able to run MIR is completely seperate from, does it run over a network or run within VE3.  Obviously "whatever machine" he decides need not only meet some super hardware requirements, but also have a dedicated audio interface since it is not networkable.

Maestro2be

•  i've been assuming you have been aware of that ... i thought it wouldn't hurt to write some details about it though ;-)

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

interestingly an 8 core XEON 3.2 GHz i5400 board did not deliver a performance even close to the i7 ...

christian

I'd be interested to know by how much 2 x X5560 2.8GHz chips would trounce the current i7 PCs. The price is still a little bit hefty (although less than half the price of the slower Mac Pro....!), but I expect the price to come down over the next few months, and even more so when the 6 (and 8) core chips are released (allegedly) at the end of this year.
    DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I'd be interested to know by how much 2 x X5560 2.8GHz chips would trounce the current i7 PCs

me too 😉 unfortunately i can't get the needed memory modules (4 GB FB ECC) so far ...

also the assortment of motherboards is limited here ... more or less one could choode between intel S5520 or supermicro X8DAi

the only useful processor i could get currently is the 5550 (2.66 GHz) but i'd like to test the 5580 (though really expensive) because i suspect the memory bus to be bottleneck and not the processor ...

christian

•  I forsee no problems running it on my Pentium 4 / 3 gigs Ram.

• last edited
    last edited

@Robert Munnelly said:

I forsee no problems running it on my Pentium 4 / 3 gigs Ram.

And then you slowly deflated and returned to a place we call earth [:D].  I really hate those alarm clocks...

Maestro2be

•  haha ... funny .... you wouldn't even be able to load the impulses - and performance of a P4 would be too low by a factor of 100 ...

christian

• Please allow some crossgrading from other convolution solutions... so we can at least benefit a little bit of leaving the past behind...

• last edited
    last edited

@MarkyGoldstein said:

Please allow some crossgrading from other convolution solutions... so we can at least benefit a little bit of leaving the past behind...

Haha, good one...........!

DG

• I'm still a little confused. 

1. Are we able to run downloadable MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

2. Are we able to run the "packaged" MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

Thanks, 

Peter Alexander

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Alexander said:

I'm still a little confused. 

1. Are we able to run downloadable MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

2. Are we able to run the "packaged" MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

Thanks, 

Peter Alexander

Peter, MIR also hosts the Vienna Instruments, and in a way is therefore a substitute for Vienna Ensemble with reverb (very simply). You wouldn't run both MIR and VE.

DG

• re 1) yes, but why would you want to?

re 2) this product is not yet feature complete, moreover same like re 1)

christian

• So one (1) computer will do the job with MIR and VI on the same system. 

Yes?

Is the i7 with 16GB of RAM sufficient or is an 8-core system recommended?

• obviously its not easy to give a sufficient answer if the question is asked indifferently ...

one computer will do the job with MIR and VI on the same system - for those who want to switch between both setup types.

can both applications run simultaneously?

it looks like even this is possible but because for lack of need we didn't test this with large arrangements (in both apps at the same time). remeber: VE3 receives MIDI and delivers audio over the network functionality, MIR relies on a local audio device.

the i7 ... the range of models currently goes from 920 (2.66 GHz) - 965XE (3.2 GHz), a 950 (3.06 GHz) and a 975 (3,33 GHz) actually with a new stepping is announced ...

to be on the safe side our test system has the 965XE and we couldn't bring it to its knees with average arrangements and number of plugins. of course a 8 core XEON 55xx system would be even more powerful ...

what i would never do is to put 16 GB into any nehalem based computer since the triple channel memory controller always needs triples of memory modules for best performance (6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, ect GB RAM) - for very best performance (= to run with 1333 MHz) actually only 1 memory module per channel

hth, christian

MIR & VE3

• I think the VST instruments option (to be able to run on any VST instrument) should be made available seperately and as a downdload buy. It's ok to also bundle it in the premium editon.

• So your recommendation is one computer for MIR and one for VI?

I"m sorry, Chris, I'm not trying to be difficult or silly. I'm not totally following your English especially with the word, indifferently.

Peter