Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,118 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Robert Munnelly said:

I forsee no problems running it on my Pentium 4 / 3 gigs Ram.

And then you slowly deflated and returned to a place we call earth [:D].  I really hate those alarm clocks...

Maestro2be

•  haha ... funny .... you wouldn't even be able to load the impulses - and performance of a P4 would be too low by a factor of 100 ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Please allow some crossgrading from other convolution solutions... so we can at least benefit a little bit of leaving the past behind...

• last edited
    last edited

@MarkyGoldstein said:

Please allow some crossgrading from other convolution solutions... so we can at least benefit a little bit of leaving the past behind...

Haha, good one...........!

DG

• I'm still a little confused. 

1. Are we able to run downloadable MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

2. Are we able to run the "packaged" MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

Thanks, 

Peter Alexander

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Alexander said:

I'm still a little confused. 

1. Are we able to run downloadable MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

2. Are we able to run the "packaged" MIR on the same system with VE3 and the Vienna Instruments library?

Thanks, 

Peter Alexander

Peter, MIR also hosts the Vienna Instruments, and in a way is therefore a substitute for Vienna Ensemble with reverb (very simply). You wouldn't run both MIR and VE.

DG

• re 1) yes, but why would you want to?

re 2) this product is not yet feature complete, moreover same like re 1)

christian

• So one (1) computer will do the job with MIR and VI on the same system. 

Yes?

Is the i7 with 16GB of RAM sufficient or is an 8-core system recommended?

• obviously its not easy to give a sufficient answer if the question is asked indifferently ...

one computer will do the job with MIR and VI on the same system - for those who want to switch between both setup types.

can both applications run simultaneously?

it looks like even this is possible but because for lack of need we didn't test this with large arrangements (in both apps at the same time). remeber: VE3 receives MIDI and delivers audio over the network functionality, MIR relies on a local audio device.

the i7 ... the range of models currently goes from 920 (2.66 GHz) - 965XE (3.2 GHz), a 950 (3.06 GHz) and a 975 (3,33 GHz) actually with a new stepping is announced ...

to be on the safe side our test system has the 965XE and we couldn't bring it to its knees with average arrangements and number of plugins. of course a 8 core XEON 55xx system would be even more powerful ...

what i would never do is to put 16 GB into any nehalem based computer since the triple channel memory controller always needs triples of memory modules for best performance (6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, ect GB RAM) - for very best performance (= to run with 1333 MHz) actually only 1 memory module per channel

hth, christian

MIR & VE3

• I think the VST instruments option (to be able to run on any VST instrument) should be made available seperately and as a downdload buy. It's ok to also bundle it in the premium editon.

• So your recommendation is one computer for MIR and one for VI?

I"m sorry, Chris, I'm not trying to be difficult or silly. I'm not totally following your English especially with the word, indifferently.

Peter

• Peter, my understanding is that....no, you won't use a different machine for VI (Vienna Instruments) and MIR.  They are both on the same machine.  The MIR engine hosts the Vienna Instruments like VE does right now.  But, you won't host VE on the same machine on which MIR is running.  So, in other words, If you get downloadable MIR, you won't really have any reason to use VE anymore until VE pro comes out with its additional hosting capabilites for other libraries etc...

• last edited
    last edited

@Peter Alexander said:

So your recommendation is one computer for MIR and one for VI?

I"m sorry, Chris, I'm not trying to be difficult or silly. I'm not totally following your English especially with the word, indifferently.

Peter

Peter, I'll try to make things clear:

Currently the recommendation is:

One computer for your sequencer, no VE or VI.

One computer for MIR, and MIR will host all your Vienna Instruments.

DG

• ...any news concerning the release date? And one other question: will it be possible to use instrumental presets of the VE for the MIR? Or at least VI matrixes (would save a lot of time :-)

• last edited
    last edited

not precisely, be assured it will be announced here - meanwhile you can spend your time searching for the machine or components 😉

MIR relies on the VE engine and offer the VI interface (see video) so all you can load there can also be loaded into MIR

(AFAIK you cannot load VE projects)

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

[...] (AFAIK you cannot load VE projects)

... but a tool for loading existing VE-projects into MIR is on our To Do-list.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@patrik_27080 said:

...any news concerning the release date? [...]

We are right now doing some final tweaking and streamlining, writing the manual etc. Chances are that we have found yet another option to gain quite a bit of performance, BTW.

IOW - the release of Vienna MIR will be Really Soon Now 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@patrik_27080 said:

...any news concerning the release date? [...]

........... Chances are that we have found yet another option to gain quite a bit of performance, BTW.

Now this is a real tease. What sort of increased performance? Faster rendering? Lower latencies? more Instruments loaded? Come on, spill the beans. You know you want to. [;)]

DG

• I agree with DG.  Get spilling Dietz!  I'd also love to know what a translation of "Really soon now" means in real world terms ;-)

• last edited
    last edited

@wolfgang said:

I agree with DG.  Get spilling Dietz!  I'd also love to know what a translation of "Really soon now" means in real world terms 😉

Wolfgang - please understand that I would LOVE to say "Next Monday!" It's just that there's _always_ some unexpected problem only waiting to disturb all those plans, so I'll keep my mouth shut (... a rare occasion, BTW [:#] !)

Thanks for your patience.