Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,665 users have contributed to 42,250 threads and 254,883 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

[quote:

The Jazz Drums are an exclusive goody for the Vienna Suite and can't be purchased seperarely.

Herb]

[quote:

Get Vienna Suite through January 15, 2009, and download Jazz Drums for free!

Jazz Drums is a time limited offer, it won’t be available commercially after January 15, 2009! ]

All this means that after January 15 you will have to pay more for the Vienna suite+Jazz Drums?

Sergino

•  Herb,

Can one user have it loaded on a slave computer with VE3 (in this case it would be Vista64) for insertion directly within VE3 and still have a copy to use on my master DAW (Mac)?

Is it licensed on Syncrosoft?

Thanks,

Jack 

• This is impressive - another innovation from a great company. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

it won’t be available commercially after January 15, 2009

I interpret that as Jazz Drums won't be available at all after January 15 2009.

I do presume, though, that they will not merely be discarded, but will show up in some larger package at a later date; this could be wishful thinking on my part, however. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Jack Weaver said:

Can one user have it loaded on a slave computer with VE3 (in this case it would be Vista64) for insertion directly within VE3 and still have a copy to use on my master DAW (Mac)?

Is it licensed on Syncrosoft?

It's licensed with syncrosoft, and you'll get 3 codes (like VE3)

best
    herb

• Any chance the plugins will be offered individually? I am thinking mainly of the Power Panner here. Dave Hage

• Hmmmmm I have to admit I am a bit perplexed by this announcement. I do think the PowerPanner looks truly innovative, especially if the pre-sets are pre-configured for each section of the orchestra. BUT ... apart from the PowerPanner, I don't understand why a) people think a bunch of plug-in EQs and Compressors is innovative, and b) why VSL are spending development time on these. Back in the spring I did make a post requesting that PowerPanner from VE was incorporated in VI, but the answer was to use the capabilities of Cubase or buy Waves S1. Perhaps the answers are; - VSL are developing these as component parts of MIR anyway, and since they are ready to can be released as a separate package to create a new revenue stream. - Maybe they are optimised for the VSL samples. I would be very interested in buying the PowerPanner separately, but the overall package looks expensive to me. Sorry not to be a bit more positive. I am a big customer of VSL, (having spent thousands of pounds over the years) to acquire various horizon packages , the full cube, chamber II, appassionata II and several downloads ... so I'm not a tight fisted individual, so I don't feel I am being impertinent to question this release. (Looking forward to a big band library ;) What makese these EQs and compressors special?

• last edited
    last edited

@drew buchan said:

What makese these EQs and compressors special?

64bit?

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@drew buchan said:

why VSL are spending development time on these

I think they're giving Dietz something to do other than twiddle his thumbs waiting for computer power to catch up with MIR's demands... [;)]

Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@drew buchan said:

Hmmmmm I have to admit I am a bit perplexed by this announcement. I do think the PowerPanner looks truly innovative, especially if the pre-sets are pre-configured for each section of the orchestra. BUT ... apart from the PowerPanner, I don't understand why a) people think a bunch of plug-in EQs and Compressors is innovative, and b) why VSL are spending development time on these. Back in the spring I did make a post requesting that PowerPanner from VE was incorporated in VI, but the answer was to use the capabilities of Cubase or buy Waves S1. Perhaps the answers are; - VSL are developing these as component parts of MIR anyway, and since they are ready to can be released as a separate package to create a new revenue stream. - Maybe they are optimised for the VSL samples. I would be very interested in buying the PowerPanner separately, but the overall package looks expensive to me. Sorry not to be a bit more positive. I am a big customer of VSL, (having spent thousands of pounds over the years) to acquire various horizon packages , the full cube, chamber II, appassionata II and several downloads ... so I'm not a tight fisted individual, so I don't feel I am being impertinent to question this release. (Looking forward to a big band library 😉 What makese these EQs and compressors special?

Hi

I too would find it hard to drop this amount on eq's and compressors. Like most people on here, I have already spent alot of money on these type of products with things like the UAD Neve plugins, TC powercore etc. 

However what would definitly interest me is the power panner, I think it would be a good idea to sell the lot for say 375 euro or the option to purchase each individually for 70 euro. I think you would find alot of people willing to purchase the power panner who don't need the other components. I know it is more work on the download side of things but I really feel it would pay off in the long run.

Just my 2 cents! Still love all VSL products, keep up the good work.

Thanks!

• My concern with this is around more use of the syncrosoft key. The time taken to scan for licences is pretty dire and now there are even more licences for plugins - perhaps the VSL team can have a focussed effort on trying to fix this.

Recently I've been using the new Symphobia library and Omnisphere product and have greatly welcomed the challenge/response method of security - its' far far quicker and doesn't impede workflow.

Perhaps VSL could offer a Cube licence that is checked first before individual ones and compares it with the content you are trying to load as specified in the Directory Manager.

Just my two penny's.

Tim

• Hi Tim,

are you sure that scanning takes so much time?

It takes just a few seconds for my 6 extended libreries

I think you are musunderstading the time for loading Vienna samples with the time for dongle scanning.

I hate the challenge response because everytime I change something in my PC (and they are really many) I have to write and wait for a code

even if I save the things.

Maybe one day my vienna-key could be broken or lost and I could change idea...

but until that day I prefer so much to have the opportunity to use it wherever I want.

I work on 4 computers in different buildings and is a fine thing to have Vienna on them all and use it when I need it.

I am half a computer programmer and half a musician.

When I worked for a software-house we did never have a problem with dongles we have sold to protect our works.

Sergino

• Hi All,

These plug-ins look really exciting and the price is very reasonable considering all that is being offered in the Vienna Suite.  However, I'd like to know what are the specific performance advantages of a 64-bit plug-in over a 32-bit plug-in for things like EQ, Compression, Spacialization, etc?  Also, does a performance advantage translate into a sonic advantage as well?  In other words, can you hear the difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the same EQ plug-in as an example?

Thanks, Brian

• last edited
    last edited

@Brian said:

Hi All,

These plug-ins look really exciting and the price is very reasonable considering all that is being offered in the Vienna Suite.  However, I'd like to know what are the specific performance advantages of a 64-bit plug-in over a 32-bit plug-in for things like EQ, Compression, Spacialization, etc?  Also, does a performance advantage translate into a sonic advantage as well?  In other words, can you hear the difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the same EQ plug-in as an example?

Thanks, Brian

There are about 6 questions here. 64bit can refer to many things, but the most important of these (IMO) is that you will be able to load it in a 64bit host such as VE.

As far as using 64bit audio processing, this has, as yet, to show any advantage, other than theoretical. I would imagine that these plugs are able to use a 64bit audio engine, simply because some sequencer developers seem to think that it is important.

DG

• Thanks DG.

A question for the VSL Team.

Will a Vienna Suite user be able to use Vienna Suite plug-ins on both the Slave and Host machines at the same time?

I'm imagining a scenerio where I would want to use many instances of the EQ and Stereo Imaging plug-ins inside VE on the slave machine and also use the Dynamics and Master EQ plug-ins at the same time on the buses and main outputs of my DAW on the Host machine.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Brian

• last edited
    last edited

@Brian said:

Thanks DG.

A question for the VSL Team.

Will a Vienna Suite user be able to use Vienna Suite plug-ins on both the Slave and Host machines at the same time?

I'm imagining a scenerio where I would want to use many instances of the EQ and Stereo Imaging plug-ins inside VE on the slave machine and also use the Dynamics and Master EQ plug-ins at the same time on the buses and main outputs of my DAW on the Host machine.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Brian

I'm not the VSL team, but I can answer that. Herb has said that there are three licences per purchase, much the same as with VE3.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Brian said:

Also, does a performance advantage translate into a sonic advantage as well?  In other words, can you hear the difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the same EQ plug-in as an example?

For an equalizer, using 64-bit math is absolutely essential. There is a big difference, especially in bass frequencies. 32-bit floating point simply does not offer enough resolution to appropriately calculate filter coefficients accurately, something which is even more apparent at higher samplerates. So to answer your question, yes - you can hear a difference!

Regarding 64 vs 32 in general, as DG pointed out earlier - there is a difference between 64-bit resolution and 64-bit architecture. Vienna Suite plugins still use 64-bit processing in the 32-bit versions.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

For an equalizer, using 64-bit math is absolutely essential. There is a big difference, especially in bass frequencies. 32-bit floating point simply does not offer enough resolution to appropriately calculate filter coefficients accurately, something which is even more apparent at higher samplerates. So to answer your question, yes - you can hear a difference!

Interesting. I'd always been told that using 64bit plugs was more or less a waste of time. Obviously you know far more about this than I do, but I wonder that if 32bit float is not really enough, how does that translate to ProTools 48 fixed, which surely must be far worse?

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Interesting. I'd always been told that using 64bit plugs was more or less a waste of time. Obviously you know far more about this than I do, but I wonder that if 32bit float is not really enough, how does that translate to ProTools 48 fixed, which surely must be far worse?

DG

48-bit fixed point is better than 32-bit float for filter calculations. On Intel machines there is however not much penalty in using 64-bit precision, especially when using SSE2/3/4. On PPC 64-bit precision is a bit of a pain. The Altivec engine does not support 64-bit precision like its Intel SSE2 counterpart does and you end up with half the number of general purpose registers when using 64-bit precision on PPC.

• I also find the Suite very interesting. Though looking at the GUI shots I wonder if the Power Pan Plugin also has a delay function to generate "Laufzeitdifferenzen" - (delay of the right or the left channel for simulating direction listening) sorry, don´t know the correct english word.

Best, Rainer