Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,590 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,862 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

True... But I think it's safe to assume that if App. Strings were as deeply samples as the Orch strings, that they would take pretty much all the sales (which may already be the case). I guess that App string collection sells better as a single collection than the orch strings 1+2.

Look at that price difference. That might account for any difference in sales figures. if there is any.  [:D]

•  Indeed. But the quality of sound matters. The point is, that if they were sampled as deeply and priced the same way, I think I know how that would go [:)]

• Re: legato basses. Yes of course they can play legato. But a lot of what people hear is actually cellos playing legato. Basses you really would not notice it much even if they played large phrases legato. Go and stand behind a bass section whenever you get the chance (i did recently) and watch and hear what mostly happens - you'll be surprised.

• I am personally much more disappointed at the lack of performance repetition patches. The only Perf rep patches in the Basses are portamento. They dont even have staccato, yet alone spiccato or any "harsh" articulations. I personally would use these patches much more than legato, and am surprised they are not included, as one would think using the basses to "keep a pulse" would be standard writing, and make the need for multiple RR patches, at least more than the 2 alternations found in the normal patches, more apparent. 

Of course none of these issues are deal breakers. We all will find ways around the limitations of the tools we use, so thats not the argument. The point is that these are limitations could, and perhaps should not have existed in the first place. 

• I think that the crux of the matter is that the Appassionata Strings is a smaller Collection than some of the others. Therefore some things have to be left out. It is a matter of opinion as to whether or not VSL made the right decisions.

DG

• >I think that the crux of the matter is that the Appassionata Strings is a smaller Collection than some of the others. Therefore some things have to be left out. It is a matter of opinion as to whether or not VSL made the right decisions.

I was even wondering if the Appassionata where not made outside of VSL, as they are very strange "key ranges" and "key ranges" are depending of the articulation

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • For the most part it's not a problem - but other instruments have some kind of range limit on some articulations. Epic Horns Legato for instance has a smaller range than its Staccs.  

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

[...] I was even wondering if the Appassionata where not made outside of VSL, as they are very strange "key ranges" and "key ranges" are depending of the articulation [...]
    šŸ˜„ ... I never thought that orchestral sampling would leave any room for conspiration theories!

Thanks for that, Cyril, you've made my day. :-)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz and Christian,

I am not speaking of conspiration theories [:O]

As the Appassionata does not look to meet the high level of other VSL product I was wondering if you did not subcontracted it !

I have wrote a detailed mail about the curiosity of the key ranges of this product, it will be lovely if, for the beauty of the thing, you could arrange this.

It is not the legato but also other articulation that does not have the same keyranges

I have also send a mail before about the lack of articulation in the Bass and about articulations been available for the Appas. Violin and not for Appas. Viola and Appas. Cello

The Appassionata is a very good library, I love it ;  I just think it's a pity that you encouter those little problems, and as you see I am not the only one making this remark.

May be you could spend a little time on it so it is as perfect as other VSL products

Best

Cyril

-----------------------------

Part of the mail I send :

I did a quick comparaison, not all matrix and articulations have been tested.

Appassionata Viola :

VA-14 Staccato, Sfz are ending on A

VA-14 Detache, pizz and tremolo are ending on D

VA-14 Sus-vib is ending on G

Appassionata Violin :

VI 20-Staccato, Detache, pizz end on D#

VI 20- Sus vib, sfz ends on A

VI-20- Tremolo ends on G

VI-20- perfs legato ends on D

Appassionata Cello

VC 12-Staccato, Detache, pizz, Sus vib, sfz, Tremolo ends on A#

The Perf-legato are ending on E

Appassionata Bass

DB 10-Staccato, Detache, pizz, Sus vib, sfz, Tremolo are ending  on C

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  Noooooooooooooooooooooooo..........................

It's like Groundhog Day.  [:S]

DG

• Appassionata basses are supplemental, not a complete replacement to all the other string ensembles and articulations.  So not every single possible articulation was done.  Most of the time legato is not as necessary on bass parts in a large orchestra (which is where you would use this size ensemble) as it is with violins, violas or cellos.  It will probably be added at some time, or maybe not.  Because you can use the other basses for legato soli. 

•  I'm going to buy Appassionata and Appassionata Extended...  No legato basses?  [:O]

It's hard to understand,  really...

• last edited
    last edited

@Vincent M said:

I'm going to buy Appassionata and Appassionata Extended...  No legato basses? 

It's hard to understand,  really...

I have made also the same remark before !!!! 

VSL answer is : if you want Legato bass buy Orchestral string DVD

I have also noticed that depending of the articulation the last note is not the same (see last post of the 2nd page of this subject)

VSL answer is : it is not a bug it is normal !!! 

Best

Cyril

•  I have SE +,  so,  i have the legato basses (with only 2 velocity layers,  but it's better than nothing)...   But orchestral have not

the Appassionata sound.  The sound will not be gorgeous as the appassionata collection,  i will have to tweak it a lot.  [8o|]

• I have to +1 the lack of legato in the app basses. In general for me, legato = slurred, and of course basses play slurs. Maybe someday we can have an Appassionata Extended Extended that includes legato, perf rep stacatto & perf rep spicatto for the basses!

• This thing is a real problem for my template and composition.  I can't match the Appassionata vioins,  violas and cellos with the basses  [:(]

Even with the 6 Double basses ensemble + the one of the chamber it sounds unbalanced.  [:S]

It would be very cool if VSL team could finish the appassionata library.  [:D]

• Just to add my two cents, others are absolutely correct here--basses tend not to use much legato/portamento/glissando. It's very tough on bassists' fingers! The celli have a more prominent sound to which the basses add a ton of depth, but overall we hear the details of the cello line and very few details of the bass line. Some competitors have gone a similar route and excluded the basses from tough forms of playing that receive little use as well. It makes a lot of sense. Now as a soloist, sure legato would be important, but not at all as a group in that playing style.

• last edited
    last edited

@Vincent M said:

This thing is a real problem for my template and composition.  I can't match the Appassionata vioins,  violas and cellos with the basses  

I totally disagree with this.  You can easily match the Appassionata strings in general balance by using a combo of Orchestral and Chamber.  The reason is very simple - in a live orchestra, there are varying numbers of basses.  And you have 8 basses with that combo, and full legato.  Also, the Chamber basses have a really nice additional complexity in their legato, when layered with the Orchestral. 

However, I have to add - I don't really disagree with you Vincent M in general, because of course it would be nice to have some kind of huge, Appassionata Bass legato.  It is always good to have more samples.  So you are not wrong, it is just that there are alternatives.  Another thing I've done is layer in some SOLO BASS. Wow !  That creates some real complexity. 

•  VSL is such a revolutionnary company that sometimes I don't stop to ask things and complain.  Sorry for this.  [:D]