Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,389 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• As mine was a long letter, I did not see Christian's before I posted mine. Welcome to this discussion, but the point is not whether it is going to last a long time (how much hot air will be generated) but whether the company is taking this post and customer complains seriously!

Obviously Stevesong will upgrade to the Cube at some stage and not Pro Edition which was by the way promoted again in discount as a product late last year... The fact that other customers "demand"(??) for discounts from the SE to the big collections (I also bought SE) has nothing to do with us who (also) buy from the top shelf to begin with, and I still cannot see (and apparently others) why their upgrades should become incumbent on our VIP program, or what the difficulty is to keep those few (as the company says) Pro Edition customers eligible for their Cube (or later other comprehensive) upgrade...

Errikos. 

• I know this is a huge issue for First/Pro Edition users, but think of us Horizon users as well. The standard VI's are basically the Horizon libs in the new VI player. VSL even recognized this, and allowed us to get the extended content for cheep, which balanced things out as we were getting new content. However, without this policy, it doesn't seem fair to spend money on the standard VI when its just a duplicate of the Horizon series we already own! Does that seem fair?

• All I can say is that it should be obvious that a lot of people are upset by VSL's decision to discontinue the VIP program - - and that they view it as a breach of trust.

A business decision that arouses so intense a degree of upset among those who have already made significant investments in your products (or, strictly speaking, in licenses to use your products) needs, I think, to be reconsidered. Why sow distrust among those who already trust you? 

• errikos, it is by no means about *hot air* but more about the pros and cons of shifting upgrade paths to a new level

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Consider this also:

Let's assume you are intent on abolishing this upgrade path; from a purely financial perspective it would make far more sense to allow a longer period before the VIP offer ends. As some have already stated, 3 months is not long enough to get the money together for the upgrade. Therefore you are automatically cutting off revenue since I'm willing to bet no-one will upgrade from the First/Pro Editions if they haven't already done so by July 15th. As I said before, no-one would want to pay for the same samples twice. Furthermore, the people with tight budgets (or at least tighter than those who have already upgraded) are likely to be the very ones who have yet to upgrade their collections. So, you see, apart from the moral implications of your decision, it's a financially bad move also.

• I will add another voice to the chorus of dismay here. Please don't discontinue the upgrade plan for those of us who helped you expand your company by becoming charter members from day 1.

• last edited
    last edited

@Mobius said:

As some have already stated, 3 months is not long enough to get the money together for the upgrade.

Yeah - I think 6 months would be good. I knew this was going to come at some point or another because business considerations of any company have to come first whether people like it not. It's not a charity after all and companies cost real money to run.

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

in a certain way loosing the discounts for the older sample libraries was an indirect consequence of many users' demand for discounts from the Special Edition to the big collections ... more or less the upgrade paths have only shiftet their levels ...

christian

Hmmmm, I may be totally mistaken but to me it does not sound like these (SE-customers and First/Pro/Horizon-Edition-customers) are necessarily the same people ..... So why should those Pro/First/Horizon-customers get a disadvantage due to the demand of other customers (or maybe some who fall into both categories but these concerns/demands seem not to be linked). I also think that there was definitely a statement for all First/Pro/Horizon-customers that they will have/invested in a 'value'/some sort of relation (pay once for a sample) .... and I also think that the time this transition was offered is a bit short (other companies like Microsoft offer 5 years of support after they stopped selling one OS). Of course I would also appreciate if VSL would rethink and reconsider their policy for their longer time customers. Thanks best

• I just read this news for the first time, and my heart sank. When you not only compose for a living, but run a studio - with employees, health insurance and all sorts of other overhead - you have to prioritize expenditures. I've dipped my toe in the VI water with Appassionata strings, and applaud VSL for their groundbreaking work. I've looked forward to upgrading my Pro Edition Symphonic Cube to the VI collection for some time. But other spending priorities have always interceded. (It's not just the cost of the library. I've felt that I couldn't get best use of the upgrade until new Mac Pros are part of the equation.)

Now, (through no fault of VSL) we're in a position in which we must move and build a new studio by fall. As part of that transition, I'd hoped to finally be able to begin enjoying the full Vienna Instruments experience. But we can't do it by July 15th - our financing won't be in place by then. And if I have to pay full price...as if I'd never spent a dime on a VSL product...when I was promised an upgrade path, only to have a 90 day cutoff arbitrarily imposed - I don't know that I'll ever make the upgrade at all. The extra cost of VSL will equal TWO new Mac Pros! (I not only own Appassionata and Pro Edition Cube, but almost every Horizon Series product released.)

I can understand the need to make a bottom line business decision - I own a business myself. But I feel like Herb is really throwing us a short rope here. Very, very, very disappointing. It's, "Come up with over five grand in under 3 months, or miss the boat". Completely out of the blue...and unforgivingly disappointing.

Fred Story

• Whatever the short-term "bottom-line" situation may be for VSL, alienating a significant number of users with what seems, to many, like a breach of promise  - - including some who are personally unaffected by it - - with this decision may not, I believe, make long-term business sense. Good will between a company and its customers is, after all, a highly significant business asset, one especially important to a small company most of whose products are never likely to be huge mass market items. 

It seems possible that this decision was rooted in the view that most First and Pro Edition customers who were likely to upgrade  to the Vienna Instruments had already done so, while the newer market created by the Special Edition needed an incentive to purchase parts or all of the rest of the Vienna Instruments libraries. Perhaps it seemed financially necessary to VSL to issue an ultimatum to those - - mainly professional musicians - - who had purchased but have not yet upgraded from the First and Pro Editions - - if they were going to be able to afford to offer an upgrade path to users of the First Edition (a market that is likely much larger than that for the First and Pro Editions - - and is, most probably, composed of a mix of musical professionals, students and amateurs.) The question then is: Is this new, larger, potential audience for VSL products really going to be so reliable a part of the customer base that the  possible alienation and loss of other (mainly professional) customers - - who made a significant investment in VSL products earlier on - - is compensated for? Should the folks at VSl not elect to reconsider this recent decision, time will tell of its wisdom or lack thereof. 

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

For a start, there is no investment. You have a non-transferable licence, that's all. It has no value, except to you. This is not an investment.

Secondly, even if there is no upgrade, your samples still work, they sound exactly the same, and you yourself admit that they stand up to any other library, so you have lost nothing.

Thirdly, VI is over 2 years old. In technology terms this is hardly new. You can't expect upgrades to last for ever.

Now, you may have a point in saying that VSL is not honouring the VIP program that they started, however that is also not strictly speaking true. They are honouring it, but are just giving you a time limit in which to take it up.

DG

I strongly disagree with most of this. The VSL was considered an investment, because their promotional materials said that no customer would ever pay twice to use the same samples. We all felt safe in the knowledge that we maintained our position on their 'ladder' even when our purchasing was at a slower rate. Now it turns out that, despite once being at the top of the ladder, I am now right back at the beginning, simply for having taken too long.

Yes the samples still work, but that's hardly the point. I've been struggling for years to buy into VSL. I had to go into debt to get the original libraries when they were on offer for students. Then I slowly started building a system around them, whilst also paying back the debt. With the advent of the VIs I had to decide to ditch Gigastudio, because FXteleport amd Gigateleport don't work on one network. So I rebuilt my system, in the belief that I would one day be able to buy all the VIs - I had no worries because of the Vienna promise that the upgrade path was always going to be there. Now I either have to go back to Giga, ditching the few VIs I've managed to buy, or be stuck without using most of the Vienna stuff that I've owned once. Eventually the performance tools will become incompatible with a version of Windows, so my Pro Library will, in fact, shortly become obsolete.

I agree that you can't expect upgrades to last for ever, but strictly speaking this is not an upgrade. The samples in the VIs are exactly the same as those in the old libraries, so, in fact, upgrading to the VIs is already asking us to pay a second time for the samples. I understand that the player clearly required development time and overheads, and that there needs to be a charge for this, but it is the same player for every library. So, in charging so much for the Standard Instruments the Vienna people are either charging us a total of about 3000 Euros for one sample player (which would make even Gigastudio seem very, very cheap) or they're charging again for the samples. Obviously original customers then get a heavy discount on the extended instruments, but that was just a sneaky way of making us buy more samples if we wanted to see our investment recouped.

No they are not honouring their upgrade program. It never was a program, it was given as a policy - a statement of permanent commitment. The Vienna people very proudly shouted that nobody would ever have to pay twice to use the same samples. Now they're simply going back on that - it's called lying.

Even if withdrawing the policy was reasonable, and it's not, the timescale is completely unreasonable. If we haven't already bought all the VIs it's probably because we're finding it tough to get the money together. How likely is it that two months is enough time to do something we couldn't do in three years?

Finally the notion that it's impossible to offer the upgrades from SE at the same time as from the old libraries is, quite frankly, utter crap. It's a simple case of working out which samples users already have in any particular combination of products, and charging for the others. Yes it's probably complicated, but telling customers that they can just go ahead and pay thousands of euros again to use the same samples, because the alternative is complicated, is the kind of downright arrogance I expect from politicians.

I would like to add my dismay, and disgust to that already expressed here. I'm going off to look into EW products.

• >> I agree that you can't expect upgrades to last for ever, but strictly speaking this is not an upgrade. The samples in the VIs are exactly the same as those in the old libraries, >>
    before the officials chime in now to say this is not true - I do it :) (this seems only true for the guitar libs ... hmmmm, but than the VIP program was never extended for Horizon libs I think .... sadly it was not )
    but the point that for quite some library customers the entry point is (at least) very steep is a very valid point. I see it the same way - it was somehow an investment in a tool (for which I will not have to pay twice for the same sample - or an offer that is about as fair - with the VI one had to pay quite a few hundreds - some times/most often more than for the sample library to be able to benefit form the loyal customer discount). A longer transition period would be really very welcome, I know that this offer cannot go on forever. However, it is not ten months that sample libraries were sold with exactly the same old marketing promises. As others point out it is not only a decision about updating a sample set but about the whole computer and so on. Also as a Mac user I already know that support for the Performance tool is not highest priority to say the least and that it is unlikely that it will work for a very long time (considering all the changes on that platform). I think that policy as it is announced now is not the best decision to keep a good relation with all customers ... Hopefully there is something that VSL can do for their customers and achieve a consensus ...Would be highly appreciated .... thanks for listening best

• Yup never posted here yet, but wanted to express my outrage. I own the pro edition & over time was planning to move to the VI's. I and alot of others were pretty taken aback when the VI's first came out & we were offered a fairly weak upgrade path. But we did it anyway because it's a worthwhile product & we understood there was TIME to migrate. Even if I could raise the money in 3 months I'm not sure it's good business sense to put all my money in the one VSL basket, particularly if they're going to be continually changing the ground rules. Not cool. Joel

• last edited
    last edited

@steff3 said:

before the officials chime in now to say this is not true - I do it 😊 (this seems only true for the guitar libs ... hmmmm, but than the VIP program was never extended for Horizon libs I think .... sadly it was not )

OK you're right that the samples weren't exactly the same - but the main difference between the Pro Library and the standard instruments seems to be just bit depth, for which the difference in price is still extreme.

As for the horizon series, I believe the VIP program does apply. So far I've bought Elements, and the downloadable Concert Guitar, and got a discount on the extended part of both. If you've got horizon libraries I would jump in there...if you can.

• last edited
    last edited

@companies_6392 said:

... continually changing the ground rules
    ahem ... isn't that a little bit exaggerating?

after 5 years and after the first and the pro edition is no longer available the upgrade paths are now shifting to reflect changes of the product range ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@companies_6392 said:

we did it anyway because it's a worthwhile product & we understood there was TIME to migrate.

Right with you. I thought the upgrade path was dishonest, but I got used to the idea because I was going to buy all the extended libraries eventually, and the assurance of the time to do it was there. If Vienna wanted to change their policy then there should have been an announcemnet giving everyone a couple of years - these are not cheap products. Even over another two years I would struggle to find all the money, but it would have been do-able.

I think the point that SE customers and Pro-Library customers are essentially different bodies of people is essentially valid. I think, having once bought into the whole thing, very few customers will have then 'downgraded' to SE just to get into the VIs, because there was no guarantee of an upgrade route. I believe most of the old Giga crowd will have moved to the extended VIs route. Which means there is little complication with running a dual upgrade system. I don't think many people are going to say 'Well I own SE and the PRo Brass, so what extra discount do I get from Brass II?'

I think this decision is potentially financial suicide. There are, after all, many very good libraries coming out. There are technologies that make libraries infinitely more playable than Vienna, at a fraction of the cost, also with a great sound. The only advantage Vienna has, at the moment, is that we already feel like we bought in - we were part way to having our complete solution. Creating a group of disgruntled customers who can no longer afford the Vienna range is just going to encourage those technologies to expand into a viable alternative.

• last edited
    last edited

@companies_6392 said:

... continually changing the ground rules
    ahem ... isn't that a little bit exaggerating?

after 5 years and after the first and the pro edition is no longer available the upgrade paths are now shifting to reflect changes of the product range ...

christian

No it's not an exaggeration at all. Let's repeat, when you started, the promise for the 'flagship' pro route was that no customer would ever pay twice for the same samples. It was a revolutionary promise that made us all fell we could buy into VSL no matter how slowly our budgets allowed.

On the other hand SE was sold without any promise of an upgrade, in fact a very clear statement that there was none. Yet, now that some customers have bought SE, and then decided to complain about the lack of an upgrade (which they were clear about as they bought it) you've whipped the carpet out from under the feet of those customers who were always in it for the long haul.

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

That's not the point. I think most people look forward to the new upgrade paths. But that there is such a short time left to upgrade, THAT is a problem. Most people can't afford, to upgrade in the following 3 months. Not even I, who "only" owns the Chamber Stinx. I'm just a small student with a not very well paid job. So almost everyone - not only the big Libraryusers - have problems with it.

And VSL promised, that I hav NOT to pay twice for existing samples. So tell me: if I can't upgrade now and want to have - for example - the standard Lib of the chamber Stinx after the deadline (to use : what do I have? Aren't that most of the samples? And I really want to play my strinx with the VI and without any performance-tool. 

I really love VSL but this is just very unfair.

Sebastian

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

For a start, there is no investment. You have a non-transferable licence, that's all. It has no value, except to you. This is not an investment.

DG

As someone who is fortunate to earn their livelyhood in the music industy I would certainly consider the money I have spent with VSL as an investment. Julian

Have to agree with Daryl on the investment part Julian.

Cold blooded people like me regard things as being an investment - as something that you can put into a SSAS or a SIPP and that has a chance of rising in value over time. :))

Can't think of any sample library over time that has gone up in value on the open market. Using words like investment or guarantee in my world - and then applying that to sample libraries, or cars or builders merchants tools wouldn't make a lot of sense unfortunately.

Tools of work are certainly tax deductible, but generally not an investment. In music for example, the musical training previously done could be regarded as a hidden investment - and sometimes if you're lucky that old Gibson or Steinway in the corner of the room MAY turn itself into a 'fortunate' investment.

But not so far alas - sample libraries. Best Paul

• So you don't agree with the Inland Revenue who allow you to claim tax credits against your VSL expenditure as it is an "investment" in your business? Equally any one going to University is "investing" in their education and their future? Mind you what's dropping quickest at the moment VSL's "investment" or those sub-prime based SIPPS!!? Julian