Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,373 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,499 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 69 new user(s).

• 11 days:

"Performance"
    "Fast"
    "Live"

Surely surely surely a new performance-related tool of some sort!?

2 days since the announcement, and this post is heading for it's 8th page. I suggest a side-bet on how long it'll be by the 26th... [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@irvind said:

"Performance"
    "Fast"
    "Live"

Surely surely surely a new performance-related tool of some sort!?

Fast Live Performance (Tool?).

A kind of warp-speed Synful?

• Hmmmm. 11 days.

This reminds me of the movie "The Ring".

at day 7 I'm NOT gonna answer my phone hehe

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Ahhh! I'm just gonna wait, this is getting nonsense...

You're joking!!!!

Nope. I'm going to get excited one day before, that's it!

• last edited
    last edited

@Chinablu said:

A kind of warp-speed Synful?

Oh, I see: it's justthis...

[6]

• Don't you guys remember when they did this with their Horizone Series stuff? - good times. They've got me all excited over a flash movie - lol.

I'm sure its the Symphonic Cube and that's awesome - means they can move on to other fun stuff. [:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

You're joking!!!!

Hehehe - That's just cracked me up.

[:D] [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

You're joking!!!!

Hehehe - That's just cracked me up.

[:D] [:D]

Whys that?

• ... until Apocalypse [;)] And remember I said that first here... [:D]

• It is the most amazingly fast computer, engineered and optimized to natively run VSL samples instantly. Featuring:

1. only the best multi threaded cpus
    2. lowest system buss latency possible
    3. over the top Ram spead and built in capacity
    4. ultra fast and ultra large ram disks (that stream the samples in real time,
    as opposed to mechanical hard drives which depend on the speed physical
    objects)
    5. Every instrument known to man sampled to the deepest levels possible, with all articulations, preloaded and ready to go with an integrated performance tool engine for the highest possible level of expression. If humans have used it for music, its in there.

• I want to know how intelligent it's going to be.

If they haven't with this (tentative) new version, I think VSL should take their samples a few steps further and find a way to get legato instruments, staccato playing and other variations to work together in one patch. Like.....if you play this whole legato line and the last note in it is short, and is only like 35 ticks long, it automatically plays a note from the staccato patch isntead. Or what about wanting to use a grace note rather than the legato patch. So those are combined and it recognizes what you want if it's 35 ticks long grace note then the first note in the actual line. Eh? What about these for ideas? Commeeee ON!!

-Tim

• This is Very Good News ! The Big Symphonic Cube is coming ....

Well, I just purchased Opus1, Chamber Strings, Solo Strings, and Epic Horns, but have not installed them yet, since I am waiting for a new G5-Quad to arrive later this month, or maybe beginning of Dec .

I am guessing that the 24 bit samples in the cube will make a big difference as far as quality and dynamic range is concerend, I am also looking forward to hearing better strings than the Pro-Edition Strings.

Yes, better strings, I felt that the Pro-Edition Strings could sometimes sound a bit on the cold/rigid or kind of on the flat side, not sure how to put it in exact words, but regardless, of what words I use, it is just an overall quality that seems to lack in the Pro-edition strings, which I feel reduce their realism (a little bit), and I mean when comapred to real string sections, not other sample libraries, but I am sure the Symph. Cube Strings are going to sound much better. (More realsitic - closer to real strings). When listening to VSL demos, the Strings are the first thing that give away the fact that what's playing is not real instruments, but rather a sample library, I am hoping that this will eventually change.

I am quite optimistic that the new Symphonic Cube will be able to perform the magic needed to finally fool the ear, and create the illusion needed for ultimate realism , plus the MIR effects should also help lift the realism factor to the next level. (That is if MIR is ready, and nicely integrated as part of the Symph. Cube package).

These are exciting times for all of us composers who rely on high-tech means to hear their orchestral music ideas/compositions come to life .

VSL is an amazing breakthrough, and is making many dreams come true.

Many Thanks to the VSL development team for their outstanding efforts, and dedication, The air is charged with excitment, your first class professional spirit is a big factor in your success.

Viva VSL ! (Applause)

• I was just kidding by the way. [:D] I have no idea what its going to be.

But imagine if it realy were that advanced?

• ...could this be the busiest thread ever in the history of VSL forum?

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

...could this be the busiest thread ever in the history of VSL forum?

No Guy, I predict that this thread will cease soon. As for me, I am not reading any more posts (a watched pot never boils) [:D]

(yea, right [:D] )

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@magates said:

MIR a new cube? I am guessing mir - which is really exicitng. Good job to the marketing team - I like the creativity of it.

Absolutely!!

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

England 26 Australia 16.

Now let's see, Brandy or Cognac? hmmm.

Balvenie Whikskey (sic) - haha! Hell of a result Alex!

• last edited
    last edited

@jc5 said:

I am curious to see just how 'intelligent' an 'intelligent' instrument can be made at this point in time.. while I would value this as much as everyone else, I'm not sure that I'm willing to give up control of my articulation choices unless the system really works beyond what I've been imagining...

I don't know if VSL is doing this, but the need for instruments or tools (whatever you want to call them) to be able to have some awareness of musical knowledge structures has been pressing for some time now. When they finally come, such tools will seem like a great advance to us. Unless we remember that software tools that deal with text have had capabilities such as word search-and-replace for over 20 years, while we still don't have such a thing for, say, a musical motif across all tracks, etc. It's sad that we have to get 'excited' about software development in music-tools moving from the iron age to the bronze age.

I doubt very seriously that much will change in the performance tool area with whatever is coming on Nov. 26. I'll be very, very happy to be wrong, of course. It's just that I think commercial demands for tools to work equally well in real-time as they do in playback are hampering devolpment in this field. Even Eric, the Synful developer, has run into this mentality. If the developers could ignore the absurd requirement that their tools must work during real-time keyboard playing, then they could make huge advances and contributions. For example, if the tool were run "post playing," it would be trivial to analyze data, determine exact note lengths, whether crescendo and diminuendo is happening, etc., etc. and then swap in the most appropriate samples for those musical situations.

Going outside of VSL's focus ... imagine music processing tools that get away from the "signal processing" mindset and focus instead on musical structures. Then imagine being able to select all instances of a theme in an entire MIDI file, alter the second note of the theme, transpose the theme, assign it to a specific instrument, modify its loudness ... or whatever. Woud be cool, no?

Imagine a tool that knows harmonically where the expansion of a phrase reaches it's highest point and then can adjust the loudness layers of the sample instruments (to use EXS terminology) to build energy toward that point, and resolve it away after it. (Or, you could have it render the inverse of that ... increasing energy toward the cadence. You could do whatever you like, once the tool can actually deal with the data in musical terms.) You could click "render phrasing" with a slider giving you the scale at which to do so. And the underlying "best possible sample choice" engine from VSL would select and employ the best sounds to fit the musical situation. Of course you'll be able to tweak anything "manually" as well, just as you can now.

But, my point is that, when you compare tools such as PhotoShop and AutoCAD (not to mention plain old grep) to what we have to work with now, it's clear that music performance software tools fall far short of where they need to be.

Somehow, though, I think the collective desires expressed already in this thread far surpass what the VSL will be able to deliver this month. Such is the danger of "hyping" a crowd of highly imaginative and passionate people! Nevertheless, if the VSL can pull another rabbit out of a hat and address even some of these tired old issues, I'll certainly step up to the plate and buy it!

- Paul

Very well put...

I too have been arguing recently over at the Halion forum, the need to move away from real-time live playing... I think the current integration of VSL into DAWs is pretty horrible IMHO. I have both the pro-edition and the performance tool. Despite my outlay of cash for the latter, I find the integration of the Performance Tool such a pain in the bum that I don't bother with it. I just run my projects on a single machine and like it kept that way.

I do hope that this announcement is something truly revolutionary, rather than just more of the same.

More samples, added together with more CPU and harder integration would not make me upgrade... especially since I haven't bothered with the performance tool.

What I would like to see is less emphasis on the sampler and real-time playing and instead, a new SINGLE cross-platform VSL VSTi that acts rather like Synful does in that it buffers up the midi, looks ahead at what is being played and selects and plays the appropriate samples from a large database.

To do this, it shouldn't even have to pre-load any of the samples into memory... and should therefore be able to load into the DAW immediately. Instead, it merely acts as an intelligent file-indexing service that maps midi for a given instrument to the relevant samples, handling legato, repetition, stacatto etc. along the way intelligently.

This would be partly what the performance tool does at the moment, but with far easier integration into the DAW (e.g. no separate application, just a VSTi plug-in) and the buggering off (tm) of the performance tool as a stand alone tool... plus all the virtual/real midi routing that goes along with it.

I spoke to someone recently who has been developing such a tool (unofficially) for VSL... a sample selection tool.

Presumably this new VSL VSTi (VSLi???) would then be the foundation block for what would become MIR?

MIR would be the addition of reverb and spacial placing of the instruments based on instrument selection...

I think we need to move away from thinking about "samplers"... and about thinking about providing VSTi instruments that - in effect - behave as a set of real professional musicians would behave when placed in front of you.

They don't need micro-managing... they just need to be told how fast, how loud, what articulation to play... they work out the rest based on their 30 years of playing expertise. You then spend time working out what it is you want them to play. That is the interface between composer and player.

So - this is what I am hoping it is... I don't get at all turned on by yet more gigabytes of samples that I won't end up using as setting up in-memory templates is such a pain... If, however, I can use more of these samples, in-passing, without perhaps even realising it and without needing to load them into memory, that, for me would be a DEFINITE reason to spend a lot more money.

here's hoping....

• On Monday September 19, 2005, Mike McCarthy asked, "I want Synful's intelligent articulation selection & playability, but with VSL's sound quality. Am I hoping for the impossible?"

And Dietz replied, "As you may imagine, we are fully aware of the possibilities and options you describe (... since quite some time before Synful appeared on the scene, BTW [;)] ...). Rest assured that we are be no means done with our own ideas and developments - quite on the contrary. All we ask you for is a little patience."

And here's one more idea for the rumor mill: Garritan has unveiled (though not yet premiered) software that matches waves for modwheel fades, so one may move from a soft solo violin to loud without sample phasing. As Synful's technology is well known to VSL, no doubt Garritan's method is too. And what Gary does is more similar to VSL than Synful, the last being its own technology.

It's wise to remember that Synful models phrases from recordings, but it's not playing recordings back, per se. VSL is a vast wealth of recordings, but it isn't really modeling anything, however clever the Performance Tool may be. So waiting to see the junction between these three technologies is fascinating in its own right.

As someone else also noted in this leviathan thread, I too would want to preserve freedom to pick the arts. But if VSL has anything that may, for example, interpret for playback sounds from sus to 0'5 to 0'3 to marcato to stac and staccatissimo, that would be just wonderful for my workflow. I'd happily graft other arts into that manually, after that extremely helpful "first boost."

Yeah, we're all kids here making idiots of ourselves. But this thread has helped me to see how much we crave similar tools.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

England 26 Australia 16.

Now let's see, Brandy or Cognac? hmmm.

Balvenie Whikskey (sic) - haha! Hell of a result Alex!

Another Balvenie fan, eh? That's my absolute favourite. Now if they could only marry that drop of elixir with the VSL samples: 'twould indeed be bliss...