Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,353 users have contributed to 42,221 threads and 254,765 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 58 new user(s).

• evenevans,

You are criticizing everyone who disagrees with you. That is wrong. These people have a perfect right to express their opinion. And pointedly excluding someone like Peter from this is rude.

Also, I have to say I'm not responding to this because Herb has already gone so far beyond anybody I've ever encountered in fairness and support that to ask for more is pushing it. Herb's "fault" you say ????? If everybody in the world had "faults" like Herb there would probably be no war or crime and universal brotherly love.

And don't fire off an angry response - I have a right to disagree and don't appreciate people slamming me if I do.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

So I'm afraid I relate to Herb a little more on this one. Based on what I read in these forums, I see him continue to bend over backwards to please his customers, and they just keep demanding more and more. If I were in his shoes (and this is just ME talking), I'd be asking, "Geez, when is it enough?"
    When there is the appropriate VIP upgrade price on the OPUS 1. That IS enough. In exchange, most of us would gladly see him remove the extra stuff recently additionally promised for the free update, which is seemingly some attempt at satisfying those who wanted what's on the OPUS 1, and instead, allow us to purchase the OPUS 1 at a price that Herb is comfortable with and is a VIP price.

Evan Evans

• Even, no answer to my question? What on Earth is in Opus 1 that you are not going to get from your First Edition DVD Upgrade?

• last edited
    last edited

@peter0302 said:

Nobody has yet explained what will be on Opus 1 that won't be included in the First Edition after the DVD upgrade. Sounds like people are just getting greedy.
    Well, I'll post a rundown then of the differences. Right off the bat I can think of all those performance instruments which are the "gold" to so many VSL users.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

And don't fire off an angry response - I have a right to disagree and don't appreciate people slamming me if I do.
    The intensity of the slam can be directly proportionate to the level of disagreement you choose to state. Everyone get's what they deserve in the end. But from how I see it, I am not angry at you. I don't intend to fire off an angry response. It is not anger to disagree.

Evan Evans

• Yes.

• "It is not anger to disagree."

That's a great point and I don't mean to sound too critical myself. I guess the main thing that concerns me is the tone of "forcing" the company to do absolutely everything you want immediately. In general the concept you have of applying "never pay for a sample twice" is of course right, but it's got to be feasible for the VSL to produce as well. So I'm still not sure this is something to demand.

• Are you worried about people who own the orchestra cube without the performance set?

• I guess just the logistics of how to implement every possible upgrade but still come up with new products. It is extremely complex especially from the financing standpoint.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"It is not anger to disagree."

That's a great point and I don't mean to sound too critical myself. I guess the main thing that concerns me is the tone of "forcing" the company to do absolutely everything you want immediately. In general the concept you have of applying "never pay for a sample twice" is of course right, but it's got to be feasible for the VSL to produce as well. So I'm still not sure this is something to demand.
    Completely reasonable and valid. Just doing my part while I have time in sweeping up the dust if I can.

Oh, and I, we, are not demanding it. Just that a lot fo people expected it as it seemed to be a standard at VSL, and that enough people desire it to create enough pressure for the demand. But no one is individually demanding it.

Thanks for the "truce". [:)]

Evan Evans

• My vote : No, not necessarily

My qualification:
    ---
    *Recent* purchaser of the First Edition. In fact, I may be a bit of a poster boy for the topic. See, I was desparately looking for the most cost efficient way to get the sonic wonder that is VSL. i compared other libraries. I debated internally for weeks (much to my wife's dismay... "just go ahead and get it already!"). And now, weeks later, comes a product that seems very much targeted to someone like me. A broad, yet somewhat vertical slice of the VSL library. For less than $1000 even. How I wish I had waited and then could add the Solo Strings too!!

My explanation:
    ---
    The VIP program offers credit along a specific upgrade path. Product 1.0 + $marginal = Product 2.0. The fact that the key sub-Products were included in the program was cool. This is quite unusual (though not unheard of), for most software. Many times, this kind of upgradeability occurs within the context of some kind of periodic payments.

However, it was forseeable that further sub-products could emerge from the set that originally existed. I don't, however, think it is reasonable to assume or expect that the VIP program should cover all such products. Unless there was a more specific context, I interpret the "not paying for samples twice" idea as an explanation of the benefit of buying First Edition and being able to upgrade to Pro, *not* a general rule of the VIP program.

I read the VIP program as "your initial cost is forever credited to upgrades in this line of products". I expect them to honor that program. I made a choice in my own time and in my own way, and could have waited and ended up better off. But I can't expect Herb to compensate for that. (Though if he wants to send Solo Strings and Overdrive to my house for free -- even under an NDA -- I won't mind one bit! [:D] )

Thanks,
    Carlos

p.s. I had no clue about a free upgrade DVD. How long does it take to get shipped? I'm also anxious to see what is on it.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I read the VIP program as "your initial cost is forever credited to upgrades in this line of products". I expect them to honor that program. I made a choice in my own time and in my own way, and could have waited and ended up better off. But I can't expect Herb to compensate for that. (Though if he wants to send Solo Strings and Overdrive to my house for free -- even under an NDA -- I won't mind one bit! [:D] )
    So, the SOLO STRINGS seem to somehow have a VIP price associated with them, even though they are in teh Horizon series. How can this be? Is this a double standard by VSL? OH YES. It is. Is it a double standard by your terms? OH YES. It is.

Evan Evans

• Evan,

Although you do it respectfully and good naturedly, I must say...the lengths you go to to sway folks to your point of view are extraordinary.

Fred Story

• The VIP pricing on the Solo Strings is for registered Pro Edition users only, as the Pro Edition users were supposed to have access to the missing solo viola and solo bass after they are released for all the time yet:

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4186

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4163

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3589

Hansi

• last edited
    last edited

@Fred Story said:

Evan,

Although you do it respectfully and good naturedly, I must say...the lengths you go to to sway folks to your point of view are extraordinary.

Fred Story
    LOL. So true. I am just like my actions huh? I never give up. I wanted to fix the Logic TOO MANY FILES OPEN ERROR. It took me 2 months but I did it. And you know what it changed things for everybody. Emagic is making changes, there is anotehr progam out there taht is adding some thigns to help this problem, we found out that Kontakt screws things up.

Anyway, you made me laugh with this one.

Cheers.
    Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@PolarBear said:

The VIP pricing on the Solo Strings is for registered Pro Edition users only, as the Pro Edition users were supposed to have access to the missing solo viola and solo bass after they are released for all the time yet:

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4186

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4163

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3589

Hansi
    Understood.

Thanks,
    Evan Evans

• Fred,

There is a jazz enthusiast in Charlotte named Win Hinkle. Know him by chance? He is a friend of my family's. He administrates the semi-official website/archives for my late father, jazz pianist Bill Evans.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

you'll get the free update DVD when you own one (or more) of these modules (or packages):

First Edition Strings
    First Edition Brass & Woodwinds
    First Edition Cube
    First Edition Performance Set
    First Edition Full Orchestral Package

best wishes
    Herb

So Herb, what about Pro Cube owners who haven't purchased the Performance set at $2600?

• So Herb, what about Pro Cube owners who haven't purchased the Performance set at $2600?[/quote]

The free update DVD is for First Edition owners - all additional sounds on that DVD are of course part of the Pro Edition!
    sabine

• Sabine, I realise that.

I was under the impression that solo viola and bass were going to be free to Pro owners when completed, afterall, the Pro Cube was supposed to be the complete modern orchestra and of course, already has the solo violin and cello.

So what will be the cost to Pro Cube owners for these instruments that are included in OPUS 1?