Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,508 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,829 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• I was also thinking, without the vocal, this could make a great Karaoke track.

(although it's a shame to remove from it this great vocal performance.)

• Taking a quick break from a current project, and after a hearty Saturday morning English Breakfast (More than enough to put hairs on everything!), i sat down to listen to these latest additions to the ever growing VSL portfolio, and offer the following.......

Puccini, Michi, erm... Dietzy(?), and Ferdinand.
    An elegant rendition of one of my favourites. I've heard this piece both rendered in all its glory, and destroyed by the aspirations of the untalented. And as one who prefers a fairly narrow and quicker vibrato from a tenor, i listened with some degree of caution, Ferdinand, as you began singing. I mean no offence with this, but strictly a matter of personal preference. As the piece progressed, and the orchestra and voice opened out, i enjoyed the performance more and more. Contrary to the likes of Carreras, etc. you resisted the urge to go OTT, and the ending sat in a great balance with the rest of the piece. (I once heard some chap called 'The Voice' attempt this, and wanted to castrate him with a pair of house bricks from the outset. It was horrifying.)

My admiration and respect to you and the team for a balanced, elegant, performance. A most enjoyable listen.Michi, nice touch with the Rubato. Not too much, not to little. Dietzy (?), again i'm overwhelmed by your mixing capabilities. Really great sound. I'm still experimenting with your 'Three Verbs' approach and finding out lots of useful stuff along the way that has improved my own output. (Which isn't hard to do, if i'm honest with myself, lol.)
    As a side note to this, I'd REALLY like to hear Ferdinand do something from Wagner, or the tenor line (along with guest singers) from the last movement of the Maestro Beethoven's ninth symphony, as he think his voice would give a robust 'Austro-Bavarian' work an added performance attribute. A wonderful 'round and rich' tone.

Amit.
    A wonderful piece, and my compliments on the orchestration. Excellent stuff, delightful, and most importantly of all, really interesting! If there's one single thing that I find troubling to listen to in sample performance, it is the lack of dynamic range married to good orchestration, and you more than satisfied in this regard. A generous supply of light and shade!
    My respects to you too.

Bill my friend, another excellent performance. The adagio has been murdered countless times by the experienced and egotistical alike, and if there's one thing they all have in common, is their prediliction for performing this too slow, in some vain and misguided attempt to give this piece some 'passion'.
    This piece relies (IMHO) on the relentless nature of a steady tempo to give it added power and passion, and you're obviously aware of this. Thanks for not turning this into a maudlin, funereal, tribute to 'one hundred dead kittens', like so many do.
    The organ control is excellent (And i'm leaving this one alone,lol.). I've heard a somewhat similar arrangement of this destroyed with a rambunctious organ part, as if the performer were incapable of understanding that an organ can be QUIET, TENDER and MYSTERIOUS, as well as crashingly loud. Again my thanks for your musicality, and understanding.
    Superbly handled dear fellow, and my respects to you.

Mr Rotondo, my respects to you for a good performance. Strictly as a personal, subjective view, i would have preferred a little more dynamic range, but in these days of ultra compression, and loud is good, my opinion may well be the last, desperate, death thrashingly mournful cries, of a musical Brontosaurus.
    A sound performance, and my respects.

As for the OBVIOUSLY rampant sense of humour from colleagues (you know who you are) who would, in their mischievous best, dare suggest these glorious sounds could be suited to, and reduced to, the likes of kareoke, (with all the technicolour images of Japanese businessmen giving themselves some sort of life threatening internal hernial rearrangment, and they reach, in vain larynxial aspiration, for that last note) i thank you for giving a chance to have a glorious chortle on a rest day.

Regards to you all from a very busy slavic limey in bright, sunny, and princess laden, Moscow.

Alex.

[:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...]
    [...]

Hi 'Lexi,

This would have to be "Puccini, Michi, Dietzi and Ferdi", of course. ;-D

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...]
    [...]

Hi 'Lexi,

...and don't forget nessi dormi [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited
    ... BTW - I just read this again:

@hermitage59 said:

[...] Really great sound. I'm still experimenting with your 'Three Verbs' approach and finding out lots of useful stuff along the way that has improved my own output. [...]

Thanks for the kind words. For the sake of completeness: The mix of "Nessun Dorma" was done on behalf of discrete multi-positional Impulse Responses from a single stage, so this is not directly comparable with the "Three Verbs"-approach you refer to.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...]
    [...]
    [[:D]]

Hi 'Lexi,

Lol.

Naturally!

Lexi.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...]
    [...]

Hi 'Lexi,

...and don't forget nessi dormi [[;)]]

Lol.
    No doubt 'Mozarti' is rolling in his grave at our dreadful humour!

Lexi.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...] Really great sound. I'm still experimenting with your 'Three Verbs' approach and finding out lots of useful stuff along the way that has improved my own output. [...]

Thanks for the kind words. For the sake of completeness: The mix of "Nessun Dorma" was done on behalf of discrete multi-positional Impulse Responses from a single stage, so this is not directly comparable with the "Three Verbs"-approach you refer to.

Kind regards,

Thanks for the clarity, Dietz. I can cope with the three verbs concept at the moment, and, trusting the ears, experimenting with possible combinations of verbs. I'm sharp enough to understand what you're talking about, but it will take practise and a lot of experimentation to grasp the finer nuances, and put that understanding into practise.

As a middle aged fart who spent more time playing and writing than engineering, i'll have to learn to walk before i can run, and then fly!

Regards,
    Lexi.
    (The musical Brontasaurus.)

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

.....discrete multi-positional Impulse Responses.....

I've tried this in the past with women, and had mixed results.

[[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I got this piece done on a single DAW PC, with 4 gigs of RAM ("3 Giga switch" option enabled); none of the tracks were bounced into audio, and it was all sequenced in real-time.

Is this a misprint - ONE COMPUTER? I thought far less-demanding libraries than VSL require up to EIGHT!

Great work on the demo, Amit - however it was done. Would love to see a video of you (and others) actually doing this sorcery. Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Does anyone actually remember who wrote "Albinoni's Adagio"? I've forgotten.:

DG

Remo Giazotto composed Albinoni's  adagio in sol minore, in 1958 I think

• No, the famous Albinoni Adagio was actually composed in fragments by Albinoni, and then expanded into an entire piece by Giazotto in the 1940s. There were melodic sections and a figured bass, which Giazotto expanded into a complete Adagio in the style typical of Albinoni's Concerto/Sonata adagio movements.  It is extremely well-written for strings by Giazotto, who also added the organ because it seemed approriate for the melancholy mood of the music..

• I know Amit as customer of my IR libs - so after listening to his great piece I hoped he would help me to prove that you do not need "acoustical" IRs per se. But alas :P he used Audioease IRs for this piece, hehe ;-)

Peter, stubborn as always ;-)

PS: tomorrow I will receive my Appasionata strings! I can't wait!

•  

L'Adagio in sol minore was first released in 1958 by Ricordi Milano, the original titel was:

remo giazotto

adagio in sol minore per archi e organo

su due spunti tematici e su un basso numerato

di tomaso albinoni

It is a by copyright protected composition by musicologist Remo Giazotto. In the foreword it says that it is a Albinoni Triosonate in sol-minore without opus number. In 1945 Giazotto published the Albinoni index. Giazotto claimed that he received the original fragments from the Landesbibliothek Dresden, and that this fragments consisted of two handwritten fragments, a basso continuo and a 1st  violin, all together six measures.

After his composition became a huge success, Prof. Giazotto was unable to show the fragments. The Adagio is his invention from A to Z.

The Landesbibliothek Dresden stated that this to Albinoni attributed handwritten fragments do not exist, and was never part of the collection in Dresden. The chief of the Sächsischen Landesbibliothek said that the work is a blatant falsification, and added that he is surprised that after the immense profit not more musicologist counterfeit music. For me as composer it is obvious that the work is of 20th century origin. The bricolage on the virtual tinkered Adagio is total needless, quasi an ugly indignity.

• "The bricolage on the virtual tinkered Adagio is total needless, quasi an ugly indignity."  - Angelo Clematide

What in God's name does this mean?  Can't you just say something straight? 

If you are sayng that the Giazotto composition is bad, you are wrong.  Because it is a great piece of scoring for strings that is admired and played regularly by people all over the world.  If you don't like it, that is your problem, but it is not a universal aesthetic principle. It is just your own lack of perception.

Also, I am going by what was stated on preface to the score I used for the performance.  I guess you know more than the publisher of the music.

• I already thought Angelo was a bit over-the-top with his anger and (justified) passionate reaction, but the remark about the "virtual" rendering and how it is presented is IMHO nothing more than a sheer insult at several people involved.

Angelo, che GiaCazzo...

• Of course is the Adagio by Remo Giazotto a very nice composition.

For people who do not know how this work sounds, here an example:

Adagio in sol minore by Remo Giazotto.mp3 (13 MB)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h73h47

• Here the comparison of the dynamics between the recording on top, and

the mock-up an elephant walked over it on the bottom:

• Hehe, interesting:

- was the mockup not normalized?

- normally, the CBs give more power to the right channel. Not so in your screenshot of the mockup wave form.

Haven't got time to start some comparisons myself now... Sorry, Holland-France is about to start :)

Cheers,

Peter

PS: Angelo, I respect your knowledge and experience, but are you not too harsh on the people who worked hard on this mockup?

• Of course my choix des mots is not from the diplomatic corps, and it is only arrogance if you're wrong, respectively the image of the Lord had been replaced by a mirror...

Leonard Bernstein meet Herbert von Karajan for the first time in heaven. Without greeting each other Leonard said to Herbert: "I had a dream last night, God spoke to me and He said: Leonard you are the greatest". On which Herbert said: "Oh really, did I say that to you last night". 

Here another...

At one rehearsal, right at the beginning after four measures into the first movement of LvB's ninth Herbert von shouted at the orchestra: "Stop, stop, that all sounds like a bunch of boys banging with a soft dick on the timpano". All where perplexed, then the first violinist rose and said: "We expect an apology from you Sir". Herbert said; "Okay, sorry, let us continue". Next day before raising the batton Herbert announced: "Okay my musicians, yesterday after you all where gone I tested that on the timpano, and it really sounded like that".