Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,941 users have contributed to 42,266 threads and 254,953 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Yep, 12.
    By the way, if you plan to buy the Special Edition you won't need more, except you want to change instruments also on a single miditrack.

best
    Herb

I realize that but I'm assuming there will be a VI SE part 2 that will give us a little more articulation. [[;)]]

Btw, i want to be clear that the articulation choices you've made is very good/smart, i just don't think i can live with out things like trills and a few others.. note that many.

Thanks for your time Herb.

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

All release samples included.

best
    Herb

edit: (except Bosendorfer)

What else can we expect, this is really perfect (where is my bass flute ???!!! [:D] )
    You're right Herb, the perf legato are the most important and you provided it for every instruments (!) (except the appasionata, but the normal ones will do it)

So that's an incredible value, I wish it was only 30 Go…

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Yep, 12.
    By the way, if you plan to buy the Special Edition you won't need more, except you want to change instruments also on a single miditrack.

best
    Herb

I realize that but I'm assuming there will be a VI SE part 2 that will give us a little more articulation. [[;)]]

Btw, i want to be clear that the articulation choices you've made is very good/smart, i just don't think i can live with out things like trills and a few others.. note that many.

And you play all your articulation with one finger ?

• Does the articulations share the same name (SE Vi and normal VI ?)
    Is so, that's a good news, if not, it won't be easy to swith between the 2 library, the small and the big one, we'll have to reload every patch.

That would be perfect to take a song made on a laptop and open it in a G5 without any procedure…

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Yep, 12.

best
    Herb

And you play all your articulation with one finger ?

I first play the part with my right hand using one articulation(leg) and then i switch articulations in the controller area using program change with the mouse(line tool) in Cubase. That's the way I'm most comfortable with. You can do that in K2 if you use Instrument banks which can contain 128 instrument slots + keyswitchs. I wish they will add this in VI at some point.

• For Symphonic Cube extended instruments 128 changes are not enough, therefore we developed a solution I've described above, a solution which works for realtime performances or editing, which offers the option to switch between more than 1000 articulations on one miditrack.

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

For Symphonic Cube extended instruments 128 changes are not enough, therefore we developed a solution I've described above, a solution which works for realtime performances or editing, which offers the option to switch between more than 1000 articulations on one miditrack.

best
    Herb

I realize that and i say well done. I've watch the videos and i say your player is as good as your samples which is the best compliment i could give you. My biggest concern, other than not being to load those samples in my favourite sampler, is that if i want to layer a track done in VI with one in K2 i will have to do some additional editing because they are to different tools, and that will kill my work flow a bit... But I'm thinking i may not have to layer with other samples so much since SE covers pretty much the whole orchestra, so it may not be so bad in the end. But there will need to be some addition... I guess I'm just sooo comfortable with K2 that it hurts to have to work in a different way. Note that I've never been really comfortable before... But it looks like VI may be close enough so i guess i should be able to adapt. The samples are worth it i guess.

BTW, Instrument banks in K2 contains 128 slotes that can contain instruments with keyswitchs so you probably can load as much articulation.

One more question if you don't mind: does the sustained strings have vibrato on them or not? Or maybe they do only on the highest velocity?

And one last question, for real this time, are the legato strings loop in VI SE?

Thanks in advance.

• I see portato in the product info but i don't see it in the instrument list, am i missing something?

• OK I have both Opuse 1 and chamber strings Horizon series. All the strings legatos are not looped so it wouldn't make much sense to buy VI SE if the strings legato were not looped sinse i was planing looping them myself. Could you confirm that the strings legato in VI SE are looped? That would save me a ton of work... They probably are but i need to be sure.

Thank you.

• All ensemble strings peformance-legati (chamber and orcherstra) have looped sustains.

best
    Herb

• Any news about the shipping?

• Best Service and Ilio should have revieved their shipments today.

best
    Herb

• Hi, here are my questions about the new VSE:
    1) What kind of performance legato material is contained here, fast or slow? Regarding to the strings: is the legato on the same string?
    2) What kind of sustains are contained, vibrato..non vibrato? perhaps more than one kind of sustain in certain instruments?
    3)About the Percussion instruments; its possible to load all the stuff in just one VI instance or we need a different one for every other perc instrument?
    4) Are contained Colegno and Bartok pizzicatos? and what about slow and fast variations?
    5) Is there a limited range for any of the instruments?

Thanks a lot.
    Fernando.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

5) Is there a limited range for any of the instruments?

The ranges are the same as in the bigger collections.

• Thanks for the detailled info Herb.
    As for the VI volumes, can we take off some unneeded instruments to get some free space on the laptop ?

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

2) What kind of sustains are contained, vibrato..non vibrato? perhaps more than one kind of sustain in certain instruments?

one kind of sustain, depending on instrument with or without vibrato

Thanks for the info Herb. It would be informative if the type of sustain were specified in the articulation list for each instrument. Btw. I noticed that the title of the SE articulation page is wrong.

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

As for the VI volumes, can we take off some unneeded instruments to get some free space on the laptop ?

These are monolithic files, you can't delete certain instruments.
    Cheers, Martin

• Both the catalogue and the product description list portato articulations for brass and woodwinds whereas the articulation list does not include them anymore. Since questions regarding this discrepancy were ignored so far and one only gets a definite answer after registering the product when one is finally entitled to download the full articulation list (not included in the package), I guess this information might be of interest to potential buyers of the special edition.

Fortunately, I bought the special edition as an add-on for the opus libraries and so it´s not a huge problem. Can´t wait to get my hands on all these new instruments [:D] (... still waiting for the new harddisk to install it :twisted[:)]

• Hi Kai

there is indeed no portato articulations for brass and woodwinds.

M.

• The brass and woodwinds in the Special Edition don't have portato, this is definitely a mistake in the product information. The articulation list gives the correct information in this case.

Please accept our apologies for the misinformation, it was surely not our intent to create wrong expectations! And thank you for pointing this out, we've changed the information on the product page accordingly.

Sorry,
    Sabine