Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,262 users have contributed to 42,288 threads and 255,033 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• I would like this too. But even more I would like about 2 dozen human inhale sound from soloist woodwind players and brass players. This is very important to creating a perfect illusion in intimate chamber recordings. Even string players have very audible breathing in solo and quartet work. PLEASE. Maybe as a Christmas bonus??

Best,
    Jay

• I've wanted to post this for a long time. "Air." Absolutely. In post, when you're dealing with a visual in a large room (and certainly outdoors), sound engineers add "air" all the time.

I'm reminded of the oxymoronic phrase, "the deafening silence." And that is what we hear in our mock-ups, regardless of the superb IR's. Next to the sucking sound between notes, and just after the machine-gun effect, utter silence is probably the biggest giveaway of a sampled orchestra.

I've never tried sampling air, but I gotta believe it's easy to loop.

• last edited
    last edited

@JBacal said:

I would like this too. But even more I would like about 2 dozen human inhale sound from soloist woodwind players and brass players. This is very important to creating a perfect illusion in intimate chamber recordings. Even string players have very audible breathing in solo and quartet work. PLEASE. Maybe as a Christmas bonus??

Best,
    Jay

Right on Jay - A YO YO Ma recording wouldn't be half as good without his breathing [[;)]]

Rob

• Guys...

I did it!!!!

instructions......

Take white noise from a synth (Pro 53) EQ out everytrhing that is harsh anroute the output to TODD AO IR room (completely wet)

I used the "Nightlife" cue from Goldsmith's Basic Instinct and match-eq'd the AIR at top of track to my white noiz and then wet it down completely....

Perfect 10 ...I Sh%t you not [;)]

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

Guys...

I did it!!!!

instructions......

Take white noise from a synth (Pro 53) EQ out everytrhing that is harsh anroute the output to TODD AO IR room (completely wet)

I used the "Nightlife" cue from Goldsmith's Basic Instinct and match-eq'd the AIR at top of track to my white noiz and then wet it down completely....

Perfect 10 ...I Sh%t you not [;)]

SvK

Any download for your supporters? [:)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I don't want noise, but I would like some "air". It sounds silly but even in the silence before the orchestra plays (and in GP bars) there is something magical about the recorded sound. I don't know what it is, but I do know that sample based compositions can sound dead when there is a GP.

DG

This is recorded for every hall that will be available for the MIR. There's a dedicated switch labeled "Roomtone" in the master-section to add a loop of about five minutes silence, recorded around 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning. It will adapt to the output-format chosen, so you will have 5.1-"ambience", too, if you like. All obvious noises like a loud truck in the distance, or the small clicks and squeeks of the wood are cut, of course. - One could call it "bio-dither" [:)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I don't want noise, but I would like some "air". It sounds silly but even in the silence before the orchestra plays (and in GP bars) there is something magical about the recorded sound. I don't know what it is, but I do know that sample based compositions can sound dead when there is a GP.

DG

This is recorded for every hall that will be available for the MIR. There's a dedicated switch labeled "Roomtone" in the master-section to add a loop of about five minutes silence, recorded around 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning. It will adapt to the output-format chosen, so you will have 5.1-"ambience", too, if you like. All obvious noises like a loud truck in the distance, or the small clicks and squeeks of the wood are cut, of couse. - One could call it "bio-dither" [:)]

Stop it, stop it.......

These tantalising snippets are not fair; think of poor Christian [:'(]

DG

• Dietz - the more you tell me about MIR the more I love you - be careful [[:D]]

[edit] LOL DG - your post was posted while I was reading and typing [[:D]] haha [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Dietz - the more you tell me about MIR the more I love you - be careful [[:D]]

[edit] LOL DG - your post was posted while I was reading and typing [[:D]] haha [:D]

Well as far as I can make out you are about to self destruct and that could get very messy [:D]

DG

• Herb, an air sample or "quiet waiting musicians" would be nice to have before the MIR. (I won't buy the MIR just for the Breath samples [[;)]] )
    The sound of the pages a musician turns is a good idea too…

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

The sound of the pages a musician turns is a good idea too…

Funny, but I've spent hours removing these things from session recordings. Strange how things change depending on circumstances [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

... "Air." Absolutely. In post, when you're dealing with a visual in a large room (and certainly outdoors), sound engineers add "air" all the time...

You need only go to a good recording of Renaissance choral music (say Tallis' "Spem in Alium habui") to witness a most tangible sense of air and space...

• "There's a dedicated switch labeled "Roomtone" in the master-section to add a loop of about five minutes silence, recorded around 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning."

And Level 2 will have Noon, 3 P.M. and quarter to nine.

• Sorry for the novice-sounding question, but IR/MIR...this stands for what??? (I could guess, trying to make myself sound like I DO have a brain, but I won't risk being wrong and sounding like an even bigger moron).

Josh

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

"There's a dedicated switch labeled "Roomtone" in the master-section to add a loop of about five minutes silence, recorded around 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning."

And Level 2 will have Noon, 3 P.M. and quarter to nine.

... this is when the cleaning ladies do their job in the lobby. Cool sound! [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@JJRoach said:

Sorry for the novice-sounding question, but IR/MIR...this stands for what??? (I could guess, trying to make myself sound like I DO have a brain, but I won't risk being wrong and sounding like an even bigger moron).

Josh

IR is Impulse Response

[URL=http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/65/71/170.vsl]MIR[/URL]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@JJRoach said:

Sorry for the novice-sounding question, but IR/MIR...this stands for what??? (I could guess, trying to make myself sound like I DO have a brain, but I won't risk being wrong and sounding like an even bigger moron).

Josh

"Multi Impulse Response" (... comparable to a multi-sample of an instrument, this can be considered the next level of sampling the acoustics of real rooms).

-> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/65/71/170.vsl

HTH,

• [:D] DG was faster!

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

[:D] DG was faster!

I'm just avoiding work, as usual......

DG

• last edited
    last edited
    Can we also have some Glenn Gould-like grunting and humming along with the tune... [[:|]]

May have to be a legato patch...

-------------------------------

www.aubergine.co.uk