Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,320 users have contributed to 42,292 threads and 255,049 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• I'm a LOGIC/VSL power user in a professional way and I can confirm that the two level UI thing give me headache every day. Is it the same on Windows? There no way i'm gonna go back to Kontakt cause VI is the best sample playback plugin for doing keyswitching. But there is really a problem with this windows things. I work 10 hours/day with this tool, I'm waiting for longtime that VSL will repair this non-sense. Excuse my english. Doc you have all my support! I wish VSL will listen to this.

• I add my voice to the community, this is very annoying problem we suffer every minute. 

As old programmer, I see this problem will not cost VSL development team more than few lines of code to set the focus to the host main window. Please update the tool ASAP and after that see how to solve the problem of the two step UI.

• DG

Please let one of your programmers share this discussion with us.

We have some suggestions regarding the UI.

Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@Emperor said:

DG

Please let one of your programmers share this discussion with us.

We have some suggestions regarding the UI.

Thanks.

Huh? I don't have any programmers. What are you talking about?

Ah, I see. You think I work for VSL. Nope, not a chance. They can't afford me. [;)]

Look guys, I'm not saying that the current system isn't a problem for you. I'm just trying to point out (within my limited understanding) why it works the way it does.

DG

•  Perhaps if you work with templates the switching between DAW and VI or VE may be less of an issue as you don't have to do it much!

When you have an evolving project that may not suit a straight orchestral line-up so are creating matrixes and patches from scratch then the current set up add a considerable, and at times very frustrating, overhead.

Along with 64 bit support this is right up there as a feature request.

Julian

• Sorry for the previous irritating post - I was myself irritated by the tone of this, as it seems to blame the wrong equipment. 

This has got to be a problem WITH LOGIC because I have never had anything remotely like this happen even once in standalone multiple instance Forte racks. In fact nothing has ever gone wrong with the program at all.

• I agree with Docmidi about this situation, I also find it frustrating using Logic 8 and VI/VE, I also understand what DG is saying ...but I do think that this problem should be dealt with as soon as possible. I know a lot of musicians who are turned off VSL because of this problem... Cheers Ian

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Huh? I don't have any programmers. What are you talking about?
    Sorry, I thought you are working for VSL.

• Can I just make a request?

Previous version of the Plug-in, if I open the interface, it take me back in the instruments articulation list [or last edit page] so If I want to change articulation, I don't have to browse/open directory of articulation list again...

For example, If i load patch Solo violin universal, then later I want to add portamento, open the plug in, I wish to have the solo violin directory ready so I just load the portamento next to the legato... don't have to click bunch of arrows...

Current version is NOT, it don't remember where the previous patch I load, please bring it back [or do I missing something]?

thanks

Sonny

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

This has got to be a problem WITH LOGIC
    And DP(and maybe Protools on mac)

• Hi William, It's not just Logic, the same thing happens in Cubase also.

• Hi DSStudio, Yes I remember when the VI interface use to work like you suggest. The other bothersome thing is when one tries to save a custom matrix, the VSL Custom directory is no longer present. I have to Start from the Root directory and work my way back to the folder with the custom matrix's. This all seemed to change about the time the Ensemble was released. This whole interface thing has been very frustrating to me ever since I switched from the PC using Sonar and Cubase 4 to the Mac using Logic and Cubase 4. The workflow using the VI interface with the MAC is broke and workflow efficiency has been severely hampered. I have bit my tongue on this one for some time but felt compelled to chime in. If VI wasn't sooo good sounding compared to the competition, I would can the entire $20,000 library!!! The way I see it, VI need to place some design emphasis on customers that are using the Mac environment / single machine. It seems that the PC world has the definite edge here (interface & memory) even though Mac has the most powerful machine.

• O.K. - 

i am using a completely separate sequencer/DAW system split between 3 computers so you are doing something else. 

However the  approach of using VE on a VST rack or standalone works o.k.  Sorry if I was inappropriate in my post.

• I agree with you William that it works fine in a VST rack. I've tried various combinations over the past 10 months trying for the best configuration. The issue as I see it is related to the Mac implementation and how the VI interface reacts with Logic or Cubase sequencers. I sure hope that the VI folks get this thing tightening up sooner than later. I was hoping the VE would have solved the issue but I have not been able to run two VE instances on the same machine within the sequencer without either Logic or Cubase locking up about 1/2 way through song creation -- hitting the memory wall with very little samples loaded. Running the VI has seemed to be the most stable in both sequencers, which in Cubase, allows freezing the tracks and dumping all the memory for a given instance. In Logic, I freeze but cannot dump all the memory (Logic limitation) -- therefore need to use the optimize in VI. I guess at some point I'm going to have to break down and buy a few more machines. I purchased the Mac Intel 8-core last fall instead of the three Rack PCs I had originally planned to purchase. Sweetwater talked me out of it and I have not been happy every since. Win a few -- loose a few..... Take Care..

• I run VE2 standalone on XP64 and suffer many interface bugs.  FWIW, I had exactly the same problems with VE3 standalone when I tried it.  So the standalone version does not, in fact, work ok.

It only happens with large memory usage (e.g more than 3 GB), so it's probably a case of sample memory overwriting the memory space used by the UI elements. The fact that it happens at the 3 GB mark hints to me that it has to do with some sloppy coding regarding the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit.  But I'm no programmer...

I can confirm the issue with multiple instances of VE - I could never get them to work.  Major pops and clicks in the audio with only a few tracks running.  CPU usage increases very rapidly with two instances - it's much lower with the same number of voices on a single instance.

rgames

• Hang on a minute. there are multiple different problems being discussed here. I think that they should be separated pout. Please correct me if I've got this wrong:

1. GUI window requiring too many clicks to avoid break in workflow. I think I've given the reason why, but I agree that for some people it would be good if it worked the same as a normal plug, without losing the advantages of the separate memory space.
    2. Running out of memory on OSX. This is because there are no 64bit audio apps on OSX. There will be as soon as Apple gets its act together. Be patient. VSL, or any other cross-platform developer, can't do anything about this without the co-operation of Apple.
    3. Pops and clicks with large amount of memory usage. This is system specific. My current template is 14GB or so, and I don't have this problem. Make sure that you have done the registry "hack" to increase the number of Instruments from 60 to 100 and turn off your paging file.
    DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

I purchased the Mac Intel 8-core last fall instead of the three Rack PCs I had originally planned to purchase. Sweetwater talked me out of it and I have not been happy every since. Win a few -- loose a few..... Take Care..

A temporary suggestion; run your Mac in XP64 (or Vista64). Two reasons for this:

1. Cubase runs better in XP than OSX, and you'll get lower latency.
    2. You could use all your memory for VE by using the 64bit version, whilst still using the 32bit version of Cubase.

DG

• Hi DG, I've been contemplating doing just what you suggest. I've been told that I would have to reload all the Libraries again due to the operating system change. Do you know if that's correct? I have four drives -- 1 for system, 1 for projects, 1 for audio samples, EW and misc sound effecs and 1 dedicated to VI. All drives are 760 KB and I have ALL the VI libraries. I also have four 1TB backups, one for each drive. The files are copied not imaged. I also understand that Windows XP would also not be able to read them which would mean days to reload all the libraries and software from DVD. I kept hoping that a solid Apple solution was just around the corner but not so. I initially was lead to believe that Leopard was going to solve the issue but found out differently. At this point I'm not sure what's the better approach -- changing operating systems or just waiting..... Your thoughts? By the way... I see Cubase 64 bit available for download - Windows Platform.....

• I just want to jump in to address a few issues that have been brought up in this thread.

Two-stage interface (Mac):
    The reason for this implementation is that we made the decision to run VI's in a separate application, due to memory limitation issues of the 32-bit hosts. There is currently no way to embed an external application window inside an AU View, believe me - we tried. Hence the "Show window" operation. On the upside to this, once we release the 64-bit VI update, VI will therefore be able to use the full 64-bit address space, even inside 32-bit Logic.

Gui issues on heavily loaded systems:
    Vienna Ensemble is rather greedy on GUI handles (GDI Objects). Both Windows and OSX have (from security purposes) built-in limits for these handles, and once you bump into this limit, things will start to mess about in a random fashion. (Buttons not working, mixer strips in the wrong place on the screen etc). This issue has already been addressed in our internal builds, and will thus be fixed with the next update.

Thanks,

Martin (developer)

• Hi Martin, When Logic goes 64 bit can there be an update to VI au so it behaves like an au? thanks Julian