Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,437 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,075 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@clarkcontrol said:

How many bad “music concrete” or “atonal” compositions do we have to endure in the Universities before we realize that these students like to compose in these genres because they feel they can “bullshit” the style better than “legitimate” western classical music?

Wonderful description, so you can count me in too. I've Heard this happen too many times to mention.
    Learning the fundamentals gives one a solid base from which to learn to fly.

'Be careful Icarus, dost thou wander too close to the imagined easy glory of the sun of atonality, and fall to the ground stricken by hastily built wings......'

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@lgrohn said:

Using an analogous idea composers should not give names to their pieces

Ooh, we did that decades ago, but it is not en vogue anymore, it's rather already history.

• I have no problem listening to the files, but I would expect to get a little excited. What I miss in the files Lauri Gröhn linked to is, they have an absence of aspects, sort of reduced to two aspect. This two aspects I recognize are:

a) No tempo changes
    Once the tempo is set at the beginning, it marches thru with the very same tempo till the end.

b) The melodic phrases are random
    and I hear no form, not a micro form nor a macro form, but chance and randomness which I don't consider form, but chaos.

1. In this program you made, what are the transcoding parameters who make out of a still the music?

2. How many aspects of music are at work when the transcoding process from the still to music is done, and what are those aspects at work?

3. Is there also a changing tempo aspect in the transcoding process, but I simply can not detect that in your audio files?

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

3. Is there also a changing tempo aspect in the transcoding process, but I simply can not detect that in your audio files?

Already answered to that for 2 times.

• last edited
    last edited

@lgrohn said:

No randomness is used, and the system is not chaotic even if it is deterministic.

I guess that's "deteministic" as in computer science, meaning behaving predictably, and not "deteministic" as the doctrine that all facts and events exemplify natural laws or that all events, including human choices and decisions, have sufficient causes?

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on