Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,430 users have contributed to 42,299 threads and 255,074 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 59 new user(s).

• Thanks for that reply.
    Are the mini's ok now in OSX or is it bootcamp only?

thanks again!

• Mac Minis will run fine with latest OS-X and latest VI stuff....

I use plogue Bidule.......no problems.......

Now you will be tempted to fill up the memory on the MAC-Minis.....try to leave a healthy amount of free RAM

I have a 2gig RAM Mac-mini......I fill it up with circa 1.3 Gig of VI stuff and it runs like a top. (and i use it's internal drive.......worx fine)

SvK

• JBM:

What happens when you try to get Sibelius to play with Logic? In my setup, on one G5, Finale plays Logic's Audio Instruments (e.g VI instances as well as EXS24 and Kontakt Player instances) while simultaneously playing Gigastudio running on a Windows machine (but routed back into Logic) with few glitches. I have a colleague who does something similar with Sibelius.

Essentially, MIDI from Finale is routed to the IAC drivers and the IAC ports on Logic's Physical Input Object are routed to Channel Splitters whose channelized outputs are routed to Audio Instruments. Selecting a No Output track in Logic's Arrange window eliminates MIDI feedback problems. "Auto enable external sync" is turned off in Logic (dialog box accessed by File menu/Song Settings/Synchronzation or via keyboard shortcut Option-X).

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

Now you will be tempted to fill up the memory on the MAC-Minis.....try to leave a healthy amount of free RAM

I have a 2gig RAM Mac-mini......I fill it up with circa 1.3 Gig of VI stuff and it runs like a top. (and i use it's internal drive.......worx fine)

Hey--- did you try loading more than 1.3 Gig ? If so, what kind of problems did you experience? If not, why did you stop at 1.3Gig?

Jerome

• Jerome.....

Clicking popping seems to start creeping in......Of course I can't be certain whether it is related to the disk speed, processor or both.....

I must restate my figures though ...I fill it up to 1,5 gig

sorry for errer...

Jerome.....

I would very muck like to talk with you.....check your pm's

see ya,

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@stevesong said:

JBM:

What happens when you try to get Sibelius to play with Logic? In my setup, on one G5, Finale plays Logic's Audio Instruments (e.g VI instances as well as EXS24 and Kontakt Player instances) while simultaneously playing Gigastudio running on a Windows machine (but routed back into Logic) with few glitches. I have a colleague who does something similar with Sibelius.

Essentially, MIDI from Finale is routed to the IAC drivers and the IAC ports on Logic's Physical Input Object are routed to Channel Splitters whose channelized outputs are routed to Audio Instruments. Selecting a No Output track in Logic's Arrange window eliminates MIDI feedback problems. "Auto enable external sync" is turned off in Logic (dialog box accessed by File menu/Song Settings/Synchronzation or via keyboard shortcut Option-X).

Yeah, I use a similar setup, except there's no need to worry about sync, since Sibelius can't send any(!). I just get dropouts of the VIs, mainly my *large* violin solo preset, when the score gets even moderately busy. What machine does your colleague have? I'm on an old dual 1.8 G5 (the 8 RAM slot version). Samples on a 250 GB internal SATA. Matters have got much better since upgrading my audio card, and switching from ADAT sync to word clock, but I still get glitches. It doesn't prevent me from working anymore, though. Mind you, there's another score, with more solo string action, that I haven't even attempted to run yet... too damn frustrating to even bother with until I'm feeling particularly optimistic. I'm trying to split up my solo strings over different machines for that piece, using one of those linked licenses... but... well...

The next potential issue I'm going to tackle (whenever Mr. Courier-man arrives!) is to condition the power in my studio. I'm very concerned that *many* of the problems I've been having are power-related. Probably they were always there, but I just didn't notice until I bought the VIs. They are flirting with the bleeding-edge, after all. Fingers crossed.

J.

• jbm:

My colleague has a dual 1.25GHz G4 and a 1.67Ghz Powerbook. I don't believe he's running a lot of instruments.

However, one thing that might help is the freeware program MIDI Patchbay available at http://pete.yandell.com/software/

With this software you create and save a configuration aiming the IAC ports at Logic (or whatever output object you want) - - which is very easy to do. I've found that MIDI Patchbay appears to buffer Finale's output with the end result being a very significant (99%) reduction in the number of dropped or stuck notes. It might work similarly with Sibelius.

• Interesting... I have MIDI Patchbay, but I haven't used it for this purpose (at least not recently). I've always just used the IAC Bus which, being Apple's own, I figured would be pretty decent. I certainly will give it a go sometime.

thanks,

J.