Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,837 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,934 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• If i substitute VI GUI with Kontakt or Elektrik Piano in Plogue Bidule i don't get clicks/pops. My tech guru assures me there's no wordclock problem so i can only assume it's something to do with the Vienna Instruments Plug In. Any Ideas?

Many Thanks,

Mark

• Mark, did you try to close the Vi Gui ?

Perhaps it seems a stupid test, but I noticed this problem on several Pc.
    http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=8928

• Stephane,

the VI Gui is closed. And it clicks/pops whether i've got 1 VI loaded or 7 VI's. And i always keep them closed once i've loaded up the patch/matrix.

Maybe it'd s plogue bidule thing but, as i already mentioned, Kontakt/Elektrik Piano and other plug-ins seem to work fine.

Thanks for help.

Mark

• I was just thinking of getting PBiddle... I intend to run VI on my existing G5 Dual 2G and Pro Tools on the new Mac Intel. So maybe it's not a great idea....I wonder if this happens on any other hosts?

The problem with RAX as far as I can tell is that you only have a 2 channel mixer, I don't see a way to get VI's out in pairs over lightpipe to a second computer..

Tom

• Hi, same problems here,

I figured it´s a Plouge problem:
    I think it´s a buffer issue. you can set plogue only to 512.
    When I tried Logic Express as a host- here you can set the buffer to 1024 -no pops.
    Only problem here- I can only adress 16 Midi channels in LE´s enviroment.
    Rax seemed nice- but only stereo out- useless for me.
    V-Stack doesnt work with 48khz on a mac.

So I havent found a working slave-host yet.
    Any hope for us ?

Best

Oliver

• last edited
    last edited

@oliverheuss said:

Hi, same problems here,

When I tried Logic Express as a host- here you can set the buffer to 1024 -no pops.

Any hope for us ?

Best

Oliver

Looks like V STack then for me, I work at 44.1 ....

Interesting though, I am using Nuendo on the Mac with a 512 buffer and have no clicking problems at all. Is it ONLY when used as a slave?

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@oliverheuss said:

Hi, same problems here,

Any hope for us ?

Best

Oliver

Oliver, I'm not sure i understand your limitations in Logic Express.

Can't you set up Multi instruments in the environment, and route each instrument (even with it's own multiple M cha.) to a different multi instrument, if necessary?

I have 5 to play back a large orchestral, multi articulation, soundfont i use for sketching, and that 'plays' from an external SF player called simple synth.

5 times 16 = 80 potential instruments, and that's just for starters. At times i add a sixth, so i'm near a hundred tracks, and can access all instruments.

I don't know if this will help.

Good Luck,

Alex.

(Travelling and studying in Russia, with a g4 laptop, and parchment and clutch pencil at hand....)

I will admit here, i'm fairly new to Logic, and am certainly not an expert.

• GUYS....

The Clicking discussed on this page applies ONLY to this:

G5's........running a slave host. (no buffering, tweaking in Bidule or RAX etc will cure this)

MAC INTEL Slaves running the new software from Vienna DO NOT click and pop anymore.

SvK

• So...

In order to run MAC slaves they HAVE to be Intel Based (mac-mini's work great) AND with latest BETA software from Vienna.

MAC G5 WILL NOT WORK as slaves but DO function fine as Main DAWs.

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@svonkampen said:

So...

In order to run MAC slaves they HAVE to be Intel Based (mac-mini's work great) AND with latest BETA software from Vienna.

MAC G5 WILL NOT WORK as slaves but DO function fine as Main DAWs.

SvK

It just doesn't make a bit of sense.

I can play VI in PBiddle on my G5 with an instance of VI strings up, lets say. It sounds fine.

So you are saying that if the same G5 is triggered from another Mac it will pop and click? Why? If it's an OSX thing, why isn't popping and clicking all the time, slave or not? If I have midi cable going into a Mac running PBiddle and VI, what does that computer care whether that signal is coming from a keyboard or another Mac?

Not clear on this

Tom

• Tom,

It is simply a major bug in the VI software when trying to run VI instances on slaves.

Use your G5-mac as yourmaster machine (you can load it up with VIs and it won't click/pop)

Use your Intel-Mac as the slave using the new VI software (will not click -pop)

At this point this is the only solution. I believe Maya will confirm this.

SvK

• But surely it must depend on the host software running on the slave. In other words the Vienna Instruments player doesn't know whether the MIDI it's receiving is coming from a controller keyboard or from a sequencer running on another computer.

• Nick, Everyone else....

I bought:

VStack,
    RAX
    Bidule.....

I tried the VST version on all of them.....
    I tried the AU version on all of them....
    Every imaginable combo of Buffer settings (on all of them)
    And still the G5 will click/pop when used as a slave...

The INTEL macs do NOT (with the new beta-VI software)

So ...my solutiuon (and this is the ONLY solution) is to use the G5 as the main DAW and the INTELs as the slaves....(or use only INTEL MACs)

If you only have G5s you are hosed........

that's it.....

hope this helps.

SvK

• I think the problem MIGHT be the Dual G5 2.0. or earlier models. I have 2 slaves: 1 a G5 Dual 2.5 and a Quad using DP4 as the hosts. They both perform fairly well. The 2.5 hosts the Winds and the Quad hosts the Brass+ Percussion. The performance meters in DP peak red occasionally on busy passages but I don't hear any clicks or pops. I did however, hear tons of clicks and pops on a G5 Dual 2.0 before I sold it.

Now keeping in mind that the main DAW is a Quad and hosts all the Strings, Harps, Pianos + Altiverb 5 and it performs very well. So there is a problem somewhere with the slaves. Go figure. It doesn't make sense. I should try running the slaves with a master midi clock. or alternatively record the slave midi performances on the slaves themselves and see what happens so in other words we could try running 3 sequencers simultaneously and see what happens..

• Hi there knights of the popping slaves,

steven: if you´re right we all have to sell our G5s that ran so well as a DAW, I can´t believe we have to buy Intel slaves now.
    it must be a host issue. That seems to be the case on my G5 2.0 slave. the same computer that worked fine as a DAW is now useless as a slave.
    Maybe other hosts than logic pro cannot handle the audiostream so well? Does that make sense? >Thus it is maybe an VI-host issue in the end...?

Alex: the limitation in Logic Express is: you can only adress one track in the arrange and so adress only one midi in port to a multi instrument or channel splitter.
    There is no way to adress two midi input ports (like in Bidule) to a midi splitter.
    Or is there? Is there someone smarter to explain a solution for logic express?

Oliver

• Hi all,

I'm having the clicking and popping (sounds like a new dance, doesn't it?) thing too. I'm running Pro Tools 7.1 as my main sequencer on an elderly G4 Mac and then I've got a newer but still PPC iMac G5 as my slave. With Kontakt everything was fine and worked very well but I can't get the VIs to work usably in any configuration. I've tried the standalone and a few hosts, notably a copy of Logic Pro but I always get random clicks and pops at some point. This means that the VIs are simply unusable at this point in time.

One slightly lateral idea did occur to me and I was wondering whether anyone else has tried this yet. My idea is that, rather than recording my MIDI directly into PT and then sending it via MIDI to the iMac, what if I were to sync Logic on the iMac to PT on the G4 via MMC (for instance) with the sync info sent over Ethernet and then simply recorded my MIDI data directly into Logic on the iMac? It's a little bit Heath Robinson as ideas go but if the problem is somehow with MIDI data coming in from a slave (although as someone else has said, I don't really see how the VI can know the source of the MIDI data) then... of course, maybe the sync data would mess this up in a similar way.

For the moment I've had to go back to using Kontakt as at least that's usable. However a taste of honey and all that and it is very frustrating not to be able to use the VIs (and, incidentally, I did pay for them you know, so I kind of feel I ought to be able to use them... Oops, sorry, almost forgot I'm British and thus don't know how to complain about things except under my breath [:D]).

Anyway, I'd be grateful if someone at VSL could let us know what's happening for those of us who don't have Intel Macs. If I have to buy a new slave Mac that's going to put back my plans to buy more of the VIs by a good few months.

Nick[/i]

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • I don't know when this problem appeared, but lately I'm getting a crackling/popping from Logic Pro 7.2.3, on OS X 10.4.8. The noise is not constant, but rather appears at intervals of 1 to 2 minutes. It lasts for 15 to 30 seconds, then stops (for another minute or two!). This is very frustrating. I finally got the template setup for my next piece, and now I've got this new problem! Aack.

Note that this is NOT on a slave, but in a Logic host machine, with the VIs running as AU plugins.

Any thoughts, anybody?

J.

• Okay, I solved the periodic thing by setting my IO buffer back down to 512 -- I don't know when I set it to 1024, but I did. The RME card I have has a default buffer of 512, so I suppose some funky timing error was being produced by Logic. Don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense, but either does Logic (ironically).

J.

Now if I could only get Sibelius to play nice with Logic... it's not going to happen though... boo. (Somedays I really hate computers.)

• Where does this issue stand at the moment?

I'm debating using G5 towers as VSL farms or moving to mac minis.
    Seems like the G5 makes sense (one audio interface and lots of cheap ram) but this issue is a potential problem.

So just for clarifications sake -
    Does a G5 running osx have a problem hosting VI's when used as a slave ?
    Is there a particular version of OSX that gets better/worse results?

Thanks !

• There is NO getting around this:

The G5 does NOT work as a slave host .........(it clicks and pops)
    The G5 worx perfectly as main DAW.

END OF STORY

Mac-Minis make perfect slaves.

SvK