Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,429 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,793 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Switched to Built in Audio in Logic; Load time still 7 minutes 4 seconds. I use PCI 424 (MOTU) usually. Any other ideas?

• i cleared the directories in directory manager and load was 15 seconds before "checking licences" came on then it was open 3 seconds after that (this is the standalone and also an au in logic) of course no programmes are available but it opens in about 20 seconds.

Julian

• What happens after you reload directories?

• Takes 7 minutes again!

Julian

• Any other suggestions from the VSL folks?

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Hi Julian,

Obviously the scanning of the licenses takes for too long in your case.
    I ´d suggest to remove all folders from your Directory Manager and to add them again. Before doing so open the application activity monitor from applications/utilities and choose <quit> for the processes <VSL server> and <vsldaemon> if they are still active.
    Check with the button <custom folders> if a folder was created. This folder should be named <Vienna Instruments Custom Data> and saved to your internal harddrive.
    In case that this folder is missing, please create one and add it to the Directory Manager too.

It might also help to change the USB slot of your Vienna Key or to un- and replug it.

Best,

M a y a

Hi You all suffering from loading times like me,

what helped me is what Maya propably forgot to mention:

I Installed the custom folder in the following path:

/Library/Application Support/VSL/Vienna Instruments Custom Data !!!

NOT user, NOT anywhere on the Disk. That´s where VI wants to save a MAtrix to by default and maybe? it is scanning there first. MAybe that´s why it takes 7 Minutes?

It helped me

Best

Oliver

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Hi You all suffering from loading times like me,

what helped me is what Maya propably forgot to mention:

I Installed the custom folder in the following path:

/Library/Application Support/VSL/Vienna Instruments Custom Data !!!

NOT user, NOT anywhere on the Disk. That´s where VI wants to save a MAtrix to by default and maybe? it is scanning there first. MAybe that´s why it takes 7 Minutes?

It helped me

Best

Oliver

I tried it in exactly this position and it made no difference.

Julian

• I did the same thing as well..

put the custom folder into that folder (/library/appsupport/vsl/custom...)

also, Maya, I did take everything out of the directory manager, and, using CoreAudio, it loaded in about 30 seconds...added the directories back into directory manager, and still using coreaudio (of course, after force-quitting the vsl daemon), took the long time to load.

Josh

• At the moment I have only the solo strings of the VI series as well as the Gigastudio and EXS versions of the Horizon Solo strings. . Loading the first instance of VI takes 45-60 seconds, the following instances take about 2-4 seconds. The samples are stored on a SATA RAID 0. I have the paths to the samples saved in Logic 7.2's Project Manager. When first playing back any VI sample there are digital artifacts (pops and crackles). These do not re-occur in subsequent playing. It takes about 1.5 minutes for Logic to open my string quartet template which consists of 48 channels of EXS (Horizon series) and VI samples. I also run Gigastudio on a dedicated Windows machine and load 16 channels of EXS samples in less than 1 minute.

My main computer is a dual processor 2.5 GHz Powermac equipped with 7GB of RAM under OS 10.4.6. I use 4-5 instances of Altiverb concurrently with the VI and EXS samples.

• When I launch the Vienna Instruments application for the first time it appears to scan the licences after approx 10 seconds then there appears to be nothig happenning. If you open activity monitor it shows vienna Instruments as "not responding" however if you double click on the app and select "open files and ports" you can see in the next line to bottom it is actually scanning the folders selected in directory manager. It is doing this at a rate of 1 folder every 5 seconds. Thew Symphonic Cube and Appassionata Strings have 86 folders so this is equating to the 7 minute start time a number of us are encountering.

Once this scaniing process is complete the standalone opens. I guess the same process is occuring when the VI's are opened in Logic.

My Vienna Instrument File Structure is disc/Vienna Instruments/01 Solo violin...86 Percussion which is i think the default installation of the Vienna Installer.

hope this info can help find a solution to the elongated boot times

Thanks

julian

• sorry julian, how do you count 86 folders? there should be 1 folder per collection and the appass can easily go into the same folder as the orch strings I (to keep some order)
    christian

err: i should have a look into my own structure before posting .... of course there are subfolders for each instrument ... could you please try to consolidate the dat-files (maybe as example for one collection) to the root-folder (eg. VSL_chamber instead of VSL_chamber/10 striings, ect) and see if something changes?

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • another thought ... do you have an anti-virus application (eg. buggy norton) and this set to *scan files everytime an application tries to access them* or similar wording?
    christian

• Sorry -there are actually 63 folders as there are gaps in the numbering. I did not create the folders they were created by the Vienna instrument installer - I just pointed the installer at the first DVD and it did the rest for example the woodwind folders are as follows:
    31 Piccolo, 32 Flute, 33 Flute II, 34 Alto flute, 35 Oboe I, 36 French Oboe, 37 English Horn I, 38 English horn II, 39 Clarinet-Eb, 40 Clarinet, 41 Bass Clarinet, 42 Bassoon, 43 Contra Bassoon, 44 FluteEnsemble, 45 OboeEnsemble, 46 ClarinetEnsemble, 47 BassoonEnsemble.

The spellings and layout were all created by the installer.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

another thought ... do you have an anti-virus application (eg. buggy norton) and this set to *scan files everytime an application tries to access them* or similar wording?
    christian

No virus stuff or any third party utilities (except disc warrior)

Julian

• ... same folder structure here as julian described.
    built by the installer.

thomas

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

sorry julian, how do you count 86 folders? there should be 1 folder per collection and the appass can easily go into the same folder as the orch strings I (to keep some order)
    christian

err: i should have a look into my own structure before posting .... of course there are subfolders for each instrument ... could you please try to consolidate the dat-files (maybe as example for one collection) to the root-folder (eg. VSL_chamber instead of VSL_chamber/10 striings, ect) and see if something changes?

Hi Christian,

I've tried this - well I actually made 4 folders (Strngs, Brass, Woodwind, Percussion)and put all the respective .dat files in at the top level, cleared the directory manager and then added just these folders and the custom data folder which hadn't benn altered. The boot time is the same. Once again in activity manager you can see the various files being scanned - it shows the penltimate .dat file for each instrument then moves onto the next instrument (in each case showing the penultimate .dat fle) this whole process takes 7 minutes.

I have done the usual re-boot and repaired privileges.

Julian

• (repeat of my post in a related thread):

I want to add some lateral thinking to this long load time problem.

I find that when I first launch VI Standalone or the AU plug-in, load time is very long (5-7 mins). If I quit and re-launch, it is quicker. I believe it has something to do with vsl daemon - if this is already running in the background, "re-" launch times are faster. Also, if I launch VI Standalone first, then the AU plugin starts within 30 secs in Logic.

If I log out or shut down my G5, the whole process starts again - 7 mins to launch whatever I launch first. Is it possible that you folks at VSL do not log out or ever shut down and therefore your start times are always fast? If so, please turn off your Mac and try again with your stopwatch in hand.....

Regards - Colin

• Bravo musos,

the same here.
    There must be something wrong with the initial scanning process.
    Please VLS-Guys: Help us.
    7 Minute I wait for a good Beer (Pils=7Minutes)
    But for a Professional! Software it is not accaptable!!!

Best

Oliver

Gremmy Studios

• i take the pils .... ok, back to serious things ...

i've been thinking a while about this issue and discussed it with some guys *in the know* ... and came to a conclusion i've already assumed:
    the reason has to be found in the preferences.
    if the system (and it _is_ the system, not the Vienna Instruments) doesn't find the path to the folder immediately (*needs 5 seconds per folder*) something needs repair or re-install.

one can think of several origins:
    - the system does generally not choose the right path to the preferences and is looking somewhere else first
    - the path to the preferences has not been stored correctly during install of ViennaInstruments
    - another application *overrules* this path and so bends the order of locations where to look for preferences

normal speed should be about 2 folders per second, actually more. if it needs more time something related to your preferences is wrong.
    please think about which applications you (who are facing the long loading times) might have installed which possibly affected the preferences path - there must be a common denominator.

possible solution: uninstall and delete everything related to Vienna Instruments Software, reboot, install from scratch (using default paths), adding paths to VSL data again.
    in case this dosn't change anything you might have to consider a clean install (possibly parallel on another partition) to make sure you do not drag along any flaws from somewhere

christian

• Christian,

Before we all start fault finding I am a little concerned that we haven't heard from a single person outside the walls of VSL who has achieved 30 seconds to 1 minute load times with a full extended cube installed.

Has anyone at VSL followed the full retail disc instal, set up the licences as a retail customer would have to then achieved the 30 second start times?

VSL support is tops as usual and i appreciate pointers to start fault finding but where we have a situation with everyone who has responded having such long start up times it does indicate the possibility of something amiss rather than individual computer systems.

thanks

Julian