Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,119 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Maya is on vacation at the moment.
    What I can tell you is, that Maya (and all other Mac testers in our company) are testing under "real world conditions" that means with the original released versions.

best
    Herb

• Thanks Herb, Looking forward to hear more on this...kind of a major useability issue.

josh

• Over 7 minutes for first launch here too. In Logic or standalone. What are all of us doing wrong?

• last edited
    last edited

@JJRoach said:

...now, I had a few other programs running (iChat, Safari, Quicktime, activity monitor, and my digidesign coreaudio manager), but I don't think they really should have affected any load times I'd have.

I can't think of anything I can do to streamline...again, what do you have, Maya??

Hi,

I suggest to try the following

1) before inserting the first VI, switch from <Digidesign Core Audio Driver> to <Built in Audio> in <Hardware and Drivers> in Logic.
    Try what happens now when you load the 1st instance of the Vienna
    Instrument

2) try the following either with Digidesign or Built in Audio Driver:
    Delete all your content from the Directory Manager - so there aren´t any licenses which need to be scanned, the 1st Vienna Instrument should open very fast now, like any other application would.

M a y a

Ps.: I am on vacation and at the risk of getting killed by my bf I will look at the forum from time to time. Otherwise Marnix will take care of your questions.

• Switched to Built in Audio in Logic; Load time still 7 minutes 4 seconds. I use PCI 424 (MOTU) usually. Any other ideas?

• i cleared the directories in directory manager and load was 15 seconds before "checking licences" came on then it was open 3 seconds after that (this is the standalone and also an au in logic) of course no programmes are available but it opens in about 20 seconds.

Julian

• What happens after you reload directories?

• Takes 7 minutes again!

Julian

• Any other suggestions from the VSL folks?

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Hi Julian,

Obviously the scanning of the licenses takes for too long in your case.
    I ´d suggest to remove all folders from your Directory Manager and to add them again. Before doing so open the application activity monitor from applications/utilities and choose <quit> for the processes <VSL server> and <vsldaemon> if they are still active.
    Check with the button <custom folders> if a folder was created. This folder should be named <Vienna Instruments Custom Data> and saved to your internal harddrive.
    In case that this folder is missing, please create one and add it to the Directory Manager too.

It might also help to change the USB slot of your Vienna Key or to un- and replug it.

Best,

M a y a

Hi You all suffering from loading times like me,

what helped me is what Maya propably forgot to mention:

I Installed the custom folder in the following path:

/Library/Application Support/VSL/Vienna Instruments Custom Data !!!

NOT user, NOT anywhere on the Disk. That´s where VI wants to save a MAtrix to by default and maybe? it is scanning there first. MAybe that´s why it takes 7 Minutes?

It helped me

Best

Oliver

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Hi You all suffering from loading times like me,

what helped me is what Maya propably forgot to mention:

I Installed the custom folder in the following path:

/Library/Application Support/VSL/Vienna Instruments Custom Data !!!

NOT user, NOT anywhere on the Disk. That´s where VI wants to save a MAtrix to by default and maybe? it is scanning there first. MAybe that´s why it takes 7 Minutes?

It helped me

Best

Oliver

I tried it in exactly this position and it made no difference.

Julian

• I did the same thing as well..

put the custom folder into that folder (/library/appsupport/vsl/custom...)

also, Maya, I did take everything out of the directory manager, and, using CoreAudio, it loaded in about 30 seconds...added the directories back into directory manager, and still using coreaudio (of course, after force-quitting the vsl daemon), took the long time to load.

Josh

• At the moment I have only the solo strings of the VI series as well as the Gigastudio and EXS versions of the Horizon Solo strings. . Loading the first instance of VI takes 45-60 seconds, the following instances take about 2-4 seconds. The samples are stored on a SATA RAID 0. I have the paths to the samples saved in Logic 7.2's Project Manager. When first playing back any VI sample there are digital artifacts (pops and crackles). These do not re-occur in subsequent playing. It takes about 1.5 minutes for Logic to open my string quartet template which consists of 48 channels of EXS (Horizon series) and VI samples. I also run Gigastudio on a dedicated Windows machine and load 16 channels of EXS samples in less than 1 minute.

My main computer is a dual processor 2.5 GHz Powermac equipped with 7GB of RAM under OS 10.4.6. I use 4-5 instances of Altiverb concurrently with the VI and EXS samples.

• When I launch the Vienna Instruments application for the first time it appears to scan the licences after approx 10 seconds then there appears to be nothig happenning. If you open activity monitor it shows vienna Instruments as "not responding" however if you double click on the app and select "open files and ports" you can see in the next line to bottom it is actually scanning the folders selected in directory manager. It is doing this at a rate of 1 folder every 5 seconds. Thew Symphonic Cube and Appassionata Strings have 86 folders so this is equating to the 7 minute start time a number of us are encountering.

Once this scaniing process is complete the standalone opens. I guess the same process is occuring when the VI's are opened in Logic.

My Vienna Instrument File Structure is disc/Vienna Instruments/01 Solo violin...86 Percussion which is i think the default installation of the Vienna Installer.

hope this info can help find a solution to the elongated boot times

Thanks

julian

• sorry julian, how do you count 86 folders? there should be 1 folder per collection and the appass can easily go into the same folder as the orch strings I (to keep some order)
    christian

err: i should have a look into my own structure before posting .... of course there are subfolders for each instrument ... could you please try to consolidate the dat-files (maybe as example for one collection) to the root-folder (eg. VSL_chamber instead of VSL_chamber/10 striings, ect) and see if something changes?

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • another thought ... do you have an anti-virus application (eg. buggy norton) and this set to *scan files everytime an application tries to access them* or similar wording?
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Sorry -there are actually 63 folders as there are gaps in the numbering. I did not create the folders they were created by the Vienna instrument installer - I just pointed the installer at the first DVD and it did the rest for example the woodwind folders are as follows:
    31 Piccolo, 32 Flute, 33 Flute II, 34 Alto flute, 35 Oboe I, 36 French Oboe, 37 English Horn I, 38 English horn II, 39 Clarinet-Eb, 40 Clarinet, 41 Bass Clarinet, 42 Bassoon, 43 Contra Bassoon, 44 FluteEnsemble, 45 OboeEnsemble, 46 ClarinetEnsemble, 47 BassoonEnsemble.

The spellings and layout were all created by the installer.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

another thought ... do you have an anti-virus application (eg. buggy norton) and this set to *scan files everytime an application tries to access them* or similar wording?
    christian

No virus stuff or any third party utilities (except disc warrior)

Julian

• ... same folder structure here as julian described.
    built by the installer.

thomas

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

sorry julian, how do you count 86 folders? there should be 1 folder per collection and the appass can easily go into the same folder as the orch strings I (to keep some order)
    christian

err: i should have a look into my own structure before posting .... of course there are subfolders for each instrument ... could you please try to consolidate the dat-files (maybe as example for one collection) to the root-folder (eg. VSL_chamber instead of VSL_chamber/10 striings, ect) and see if something changes?

Hi Christian,

I've tried this - well I actually made 4 folders (Strngs, Brass, Woodwind, Percussion)and put all the respective .dat files in at the top level, cleared the directory manager and then added just these folders and the custom data folder which hadn't benn altered. The boot time is the same. Once again in activity manager you can see the various files being scanned - it shows the penltimate .dat file for each instrument then moves onto the next instrument (in each case showing the penultimate .dat fle) this whole process takes 7 minutes.

I have done the usual re-boot and repaired privileges.

Julian