Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,633 users have contributed to 42,248 threads and 254,878 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

The Quad makes the dual 2.5 look sick in comparison.

Can you be more specific about that, Bruce? You mentioned the buffer in DP, but other than that? In what areas do you notice a big diff?

I haven't heard anyone else report this, so I'm intrigued.

Hi Nick. Like svk says above that it is no problem loading the VI's in a G5 with enough Ram. The real acid test is how well do they perform in real time. I have noticed that the Quad generally outperforms the 2.5 Dual by a factor of about 2:1 when it comes time to use 8 Altiverb 5's and tons of notes including harp sustains and keyboards needing a lot of polyphony, alongside the VI's..So on my system (2G5's) I am using the Dual 2.5 to host just the woodwinds and percussion. All the strings brass and keys + Altis run on the Quad. Also I have been experimenting with the Host Buffer Multiplier in DP 5. This is not the 512/256 regular buffer. It is something else. You can set it at 1,2,3, or 4. I had it at 1. But now I see a huge iimprovement when it is set at 2.

• HI everybody,

I just got back from a discussion with our chief Audio Programmer at the video-game company I work for...(He is considered one of the very best in our business)

I explained the differences to him regarding the old EXS24 16bit VSL VERSUS the new VI instrument 24bit Lossless Compression system...

Here are his comments:

When playing back an uncompressed WAV file that is loaded into RAM the CPU takes no hit whatsoever.

When playing back a 24bit Lossless compression Audio file (it is 2to1 compression....meaning the 24 bit file only takes up 1/2 the space it would uncompressed) the computer takes quite a hit....He could not say how much, but it's there....Now factor in crossfades, stacking, each file needs to uncompress on the fly to play (you see what I'm saying), release samples...polyphony builds up quick (each file hitting the cpu)

So ........It stands to reason that if we were able to turn the compression OFF......We would need twice the RAM to load all this stuff BUT the CPU would be able to play WAY more VI instances.

SvK

• I would rather have compression turned off.....and strap 2 to 4 G5s together.......and not have my CPUs crap out, when composing.....

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

HERB,

Processor: G5, 2 x 2.5 GHz,
    Ram: 4 GB
    OS 10.4.2
    Data storage: Firewire 800
    Host application: Logic 7.1.1
    Soundcard: RME HDSP MADI with 648 MADI Interface

Latency at 512 Samples (12ms) / 2.5 GB Ram usage
    Maximum Vienna Instrument instances: 24 (CPU 90%)
    Maximum Samples loaded: 45000
    Maximum polyphony: 300 stereo voices / (CPU 70%)

Herb I can load 24 instances of VI easy.....BUT I can't play any of it multitimbrally without massive cutting out and stalling.....I'm not making this up and I really do know what I am doing.

The loading up is not the issue.

Any chance of you guys running these tests with current OSX?

10.4.2 is ancient 10.4.6 please

And current Logic 7.2 (7.1.1 is old now)

maybe something happened since Logic went over to universal binary....

thanx Wink

SvK

Hi,

I don´t have the G5 dual here at the moment but can grab it later today and run the same tests in 10.4.6 and Logic 7.2. However I don´t expect it to be that different.

Maya

• MAYA,

please do, that would be great......

Is it possible that you tell us what sort of test this is?

thanx so much...

SvK

• MAYA,

Here are some insights in to other MAC CPU related problems...

problem 1:

While in Logic 7.2, select a sustained VI string instrument. Now play the keyboard.....every once in a while the sound just "cuts off" (this is not a polyphony thing, as we are only sustaining 1 note....it happens in standalone as well......so not a L7 issue)

problem 2:

While in Logic 7.2, enable the record-switches of any 3 Leg String instruments...(so you are playing 3 patches of VI simultaneously).....now play an appregiated triad in Legato (just drum your fingers on the keys)......Everything starts to stutter and break-up.....Even with release samples turned off......Now intersestingly, when you record this appreggio and have the sequencer play it back, the stuttering is reduced (probably, because the sequencer can look ahead).

I am still certain that "Lossless compression " is really impacting the CPU performance....THIS IS A BIG ISSUE.........

Since when opening old-sessions created with VSL/EXS 24, and replacing all those instances with VI's (newlibrary) ....those sessions will NOT play...

Like I said, RAM is not the issue, everything loads...It's CPU performance that gives in.

LAST THING:

I understand that PC's have a 2 Gig RAM cap, as opposed to the possible 4 to 8 gig RAM on a MAC..........Something tells me that the lossless compression, was a sheme to get more sounds into the PC's at the xpense of CPU power, consequently MAC users now have to suffer the shortcomings of this compromise due to the PC's RAM limitations.....

I still belive that a "16bit-uncompressed" version of this Library would be a GOOD thing...for Layout purposes and composition....All these CPU issues would go away.....At this stage things are at a standstill.

Setup a bunch of servers, launch the batch processors, and dither down to 16bit. So we can enjoy this awesome achievement, instead of having to wait for technology to catch up with your product.

SvK

• I think streaming 300 stereo voices with 70% CPU usage proofes that there should not be any issue with compression.
    I'm no expert, but I'm quite sure that uncompressed 24bit data wouldn't allow this amout of voices, because of physical bottlenecks.

best
    Herb

• HERB,

All I am asking is that you perform the same test I layed out....

specifiacally appregiating 3Leg patches at the same time.......The sounds stutter.

SvK

• HERB...

it would allow MORE

......i'm sending you an email

SvK

• Our stresstests are exactly testing this issues.

One polyphony test where the amount of streaming voices (sustains) is tested.
    And a second one where the amount of instances, each performing very fast simultaneous movement with performance legato instruments are tested.
    So when we say we can perform 24 instances without glitches, than 24 performance legati instruments are running at maximum speed.

best
    Herb

• HERB,

svonkampen computer:

Dual 2GHZ with 4 Gig RAM
    OS 10.4.6, Logic 7.2 (i/o buffer size 512....Process Buffer Range LARGE)
    RAM Usage is 2.95 GIG
    Metric Halo 2882 audio interface

I open 3 VI instances of Legato Strings.
    I drum my fingers (legato style) on the keys

The sound stutters and the CPU meter in Logic goes RED.

SvK

• My guess is that you've loaded too much into your "only" 4GB of RAM, SvK, and the plug-in went to virtual memory for the sample start buffers.

• Nick...RAM usage 2.9 Gig

• Exactly, 2.9GB and you only have 4GB installed. Please check the virtual memory setting as you load up Vienna Instruments - that will tell you whether my theory is correct.

• Where is this virtual memory setting?

We are talking about the new VIs not EXS24 Right? Virtual memory settings don't exist with VIs

SvK

• SVONKAMPEN,

1) Concerning the test with OS 10.4.6 and Logic 7.2, here are my results:

Processor: G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
    Ram: 4 GB
    OS 10.4.6
    Data storage: Firewire 800
    Host application: Logic 7.2
    Soundcard: RME HDSP

Latency at 512 Samples (12ms) / (2.46 GB Ram usage)
    Maximum Vienna Instrument instances: 23 (CPU load activity monitor 95%)
    Maximum Samples loaded: 24.095
    Maximum polyphony: 384 stereo voices

2) The RAM management in VI works differently from the EXS. Nevertheless the VI uses disk streaming technology like the EXS does.
    I explained this in detail in an email that I send to you before.
    However I would suggest to get more RAM in order to run 8 or more instances of the VI properly.

3) I can confirm that when playing 3 legato instruments (= 3 instances of VI) simultaneously I also encountered a problem (a few clicks), but the tracks played back perfectly after I recorded them. You will find my Logic file on my iDisk.
    I will look into this and keep you updated.

Best,

Maya

• Maya,

thanx for confirming the bug......yes, they do play back properely after they are recorded, but they need to play correctly while performing the part,

Thanx again [;)]

SvK

• SvK, I mean virtual memory as shown in Activity Monitor, i.e. the system is using the hard disk because it's run out of RAM. Not EXS virtual memory.

• Nick....

gotcha

Yeah....maya and I have been emailing back and forth....she's real nice and helpful. it is the way it is. Guess I'll hit-up IT for a couple more G5s.

Ummm....but as you can see from this post the "Live" playing on the MAC at least does stutter when selecting multiple instances to play at the same time...however it does play back ok.........

funny thing is.....I've been forced to write "minimalistic"....since the CPU craps out so soon now.........and I'm liking it....my cues are starting to breath [;)]

hahahaha

Instead of covering-up hastily programmed string-lines with Horn pads, I'm forced
    to expose the string-lines and do ultra-realistic programming.

I guess the glass is half-full after all.

SvK

• Thanx for takin this time to post your issues and tests, svonkampen.
    This is really appreciated.
    For the moment I'm using a Quad and haven't tested VI's limits.
    Also, I use Logic but I load my Vienna VI's in Rax (separate host than Logic), so as not to to have to reload all the samples every time I swap songs etc...

I read all this thread but rather quickly...

I would just like to point out that in some cases it may be your drives that might be touching their limits and giving you audio quircks. Upon 'live' playing, the system clearly has less flexibility to organise resources than upon 'sequenced playback'...

Also maybe Logic is the cause of your 'real time" quircks.
    In Logic, there is clearly a difference between real time playing and sequence playback !!!
    It would be interesting if you tested the VI in an external host and play the notes on a midi instrument in Logic connected vie iacbus to the VI host.. If you got the same problem on 'live' playing it would indicate that it is not Logic.

Also, bare in mind that OSX has the ability to re-organize resources to better achieve a task that it may have only partially achieved at a previous trial. Evan Evans wrote some very interesting thoughts on this last year...
    He told of how, at 3rd or fourth playback, some exs instruments were running fine while at first playback the audio was full of hiccups.
    I'm not saying it's totally connected to your problem, but it's worth knowing about it...

One last side issue worth knowing about (I donno if it has been corrected since Logic 7.2) is that in some cases, when Logic has hit a CPU limit, and has given you the alert message... You may find that it will repetitively give you that same message at 'given' point in the arrange, even though you've changed the arrangement and playback should run fine.
    Usually this happens at entry point of a sequence. Clearly this is a bug !!! Logic has no reason to give you the 'CPU maxed' message.
    There is one simple way to bring back Logic to normal : Nudge 1 or a few sequences (with start point at problematic position) back & forth a bar.

You might run into this problem if you're having CPU issues, so I thought this might be a useful tip.

Just a few thoughts...

Charl