Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,478 users have contributed to 42,395 threads and 255,513 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 58 new user(s).

• Have you done any memory tweaks like those recommended to run GigaStudio, for example? If so, remove them and go back to Windows default.

I think that Forte is a red herring in your case. If the /3gig switch is not working, then that is the first thing you need to fix. I also wonder whether you are logging in as the Administrator in your system. You need to do this otherwise certain things will not be allowed by Windows.

Are you running sp2? All my machines that have the switch installed are running sp2, and the enabling took less than 30 seconds on each.

DG

• Mattias,
    The link to your app is down. Anyway to still get the app?
    Thanks

• Just to confirm, I need to add the 3GB switch tot he boot loader and tweak the Sonar PDR.exe fiel as well before large address awareness will apply. Correct? I'm not as smart as you guys so excuse the dumb question.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    PS. Any idea if Sonar 6 is LA capable?
    K.

• Hi Keyjazz
    yes - put in the 3gb switch in the boot file and run Mathias' utility on the Sonar exe file following the instructions in this thread - and you should be ready to go.
    Sonar is LAA capable ( use Sonar 6 myself ) [:D]

Beware that some of us has had some problems getting this working
    ( Bios trouble and more...). Read the postings in this thread if it does'nt work right away. You should be able to load approx. 2.7 Gb.

• I assume that if I have my VIs on a computer other than that where Sonar is located that I would only have to put the 3GB switch on that second computer and make sure that the VST host I used, FX Teleport, Forte, whatever, was LAA. I shouldn't have to mess with Sonar or the 3GB switch on the Sonar computer because Sonar would only be receiving MIDI and audio and not loading samples. Is this correct?
    Also I guess that Sonar 6 does not come LAA but you can tweak it okay. Right?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

• Anyone know where to get Mattias app? The link to his app is dead.
    Thanks

• Anyone?

• Hi guys, sorry for my absence in this thread... I've had too many things on my hands lately to be able to monitor any forums whatsoever.

Kevin, the answer to both of your questions are...yes! [:)]

Tripit, sorry, I failed to include the file when updating the site...it's up there again now.

/Mattias

• I am using plogue bidule as a host. Is it LAA capable?

So far I can load about 1.9GB on the PC (with 3GB RAM) and the 3GB switch. I am currently using GVI (rather than VI).

Also, Matthias, you referred to the PC optimisation guide - where can I find it?

How can I get access to those memory options in the BIOS? Is it safe to change parameters there without being a PC expert?

Should I install another 1GB RAM in order to get to load 2.8GB?

Dom

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

I am using plogue bidule as a host. Is it LAA capable?

So far I can load about 1.9GB on the PC (with 3GB RAM) and the 3GB switch. I am currently using GVI (rather than VI).

Also, Matthias, you referred to the PC optimisation guide - where can I find it?

How can I get access to those memory options in the BIOS? Is it safe to change parameters there without being a PC expert?

Should I install another 1GB RAM in order to get to load 2.8GB?

Dom

Dom, I can get about 2.6-2.7Gb with 3GB RAM installed. If you have the LTD app then this will tell you whether or not your host is LAA. If you can't get hold of this, then email me and I'll send you a copy (although it might be an early one).

You also say that you're using GVI. If you are loading all those samples within one instance, then GVI will also have to be LAA for you to get more.

DG

• Solved - many thanks! I just patched Bidule for LAA, and left GVI, as the load is spread over 5 GVI instances. I can load 2.8GB on the 3GB machine now!

Dom

• Glad it all works. Just be careful about trying to load too much; on my 3GB machines I can actually get nearly 2.9GB, but weird things happen and I even get templates that don't load. Let me know how you get on with GVI as I'm thinking of trying it for some of my non VSL stuff.

DG

• Certainly, it all felt a bit wobbly with 2.8Gb loaded - but exciting. GVI is working very well, I've only had one little problem with it so far (it involves MIDI control number 91 which sends GVI kind of crazy if it receives a value below around 15).

Dom

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

Certainly, it all felt a bit wobbly with 2.8Gb loaded - but exciting. GVI is working very well, I've only had one little problem with it so far (it involves MIDI control number 91 which sends GVI kind of crazy if it receives a value below around 15).

Dom

Lucky I don't use that one then. [:D]

DG

• Glad to hear you sorted it out. If anyone should need it the LaaTiDo setup can be found at http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe">http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe

/Mattias

• Question:

My last line ends:
    noexecute=optin/fastdetect

should it read (after the switch):
    noexecute=optin/fastdetect/3GB

or do I need to reverse it like:

fastdetect/noexecute=optin/3GB

Thanks

• Also, if I am going to go from 2 gigs ram (2 of 4 slots filled) to 3 gigs, do I have to fill the other two slots with 512's or can I just but a 1 gig stick in the third slot and leave the 4th slot open?

The ram is DDR 400.

Thanks again.

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

Also, if I am going to go from 2 gigs ram (2 of 4 slots filled) to 3 gigs, do I have to fill the other two slots with 512's or can I just but a 1 gig stick in the third slot and leave the 4th slot open?

The ram is DDR 400.

Thanks again.

As far as I'm aware it will depend on the sophistication of your motherboard - it is technically possible for a single DDR to be accessed and used. However, if you have an odd number of DDR's the performance of the memory will be affected. The gains DDR memory makes are based on pairs of devices.

• Thanks for Ram advice.

Anyone know the answer to my other question above about reversing order of words at the end of switch?

• If I get a machine with 8GB of RAM, am I still stuck with 2GB of samples (3GB with tweak) or do I get access to the extra RAM for samples (using Cubase 4 + VSL VI's [WinXP])

The time has now come - I have the funds and I'm buying the Cube within the next few weeks! - this is my final investigative phase, so prepare for more questions soon! [:D]

Thanks very much in advance!