Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,429 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,792 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

To my knowledge we can adress up to 1.5 - 1.7 GB of RAM, and all suggestions here on the forum seem rather theoretical to me... If anyone has experience with adressing more than 1.7 GB of RAM with a streaming sampler on a PC, please share your infos.

Best, Paul

According to folks on the Nuendo Forum N3 (and I suppose) SX3 can address up to 2.7Gb RAM. Whether or not this translates to more streaming I don't know, but would like to find out before buying more RAM. Similarly for the FX-Teleport machines.

DG

• Hi, Paul

Good numbers! I'm looking forward to receive the VI.
    Are you having any test with XP 64-bit? I hope that it will solve the RAM-problem [8-)]

Best
    Martin

• Hi,

I couldnĀ“t load more into my RAM in either one of the SX 3 machines, and to my knowledge Nuendo is built on the same basic system, but IĀ“ll give it a shot... would really surprise me though.

XP64, we havenĀ“t tested on a 64 bit machine yet, I will as soon as I get my hands on one. But the Vienna Instruments are not yet optimized for 64 bit systems yet, and as I understand it, you only benefit from 64bit technology, if every part of the system is optimized, from the chip to the harddrives, the drivers and applications....

I will keep you up to date.

Best, Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi,

I couldnĀ“t load more into my RAM in either one of the SX 3 machines, and to my knowledge Nuendo is built on the same basic system, but IĀ“ll give it a shot... would really surprise me though.

Best, Paul

Paul, I don't know any more than you do, but you might like to check out this:

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8186

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi,

XP64, we havenĀ“t tested on a 64 bit machine yet, I will as soon as I get my hands on one. But the Vienna Instruments are not yet optimized for 64 bit systems yet, and as I understand it, you only benefit from 64bit technology, if every part of the system is optimized, from the chip to the harddrives, the drivers and applications....

Best, Paul

I priced out a 64bit PC system and the price was so high, I went to the Mac for sequencing with Logic. 64-bit is really 9 months to ayear or more away by the time all the software is tweaked.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Do you think it will be possible to let this "test song" available for the end user ? Then we could post our results here.

StĆ©phane, you donĀ“t want to listen to it, believe me, MIDI notes all over the place [H]. Purpose was to really stress the Vienna Instruments....

[:D]

IMHO It doesn't matter. The only important thing is that we could easily hear a drop or click.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Best, Paul

I think you are right, but as I read on the homepage of microsoft, you still get the benefit of the RAM-management. It would be excellent to get a test on a 4 Gb RAM xp64 computer, to see if you can load more than 2 Gb of samples.

Best, Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Thanks, and I am in the middle of further tests...

IĀ“m actually not that much of a techie to answer all specific computer questions, but I will look into it and we will test all configurations within our reach.

As far as the dual cores are concerned, Christian Marin has already posted on the first page of this thread and I donĀ“t really have anything to add...

To my knowledge we can adress up to 1.5 - 1.7 GB of RAM, and all suggestions here on the forum seem rather theoretical to me... If anyone has experience with adressing more than 1.7 GB of RAM with a streaming sampler on a PC, please share your infos.

Best, Paul

Paul, I echo Peter's appreciation, and observations about coporate responsibility.

And i think it's good you're not a techie, as a lot of us are the same. It gives us a practical layman's view of how everthing works without trying to translate IT speak.

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

... I understand it, you only benefit from 64bit technology, if every part of the system is optimized.....

..... It would be excellent to get a test on a 4 Gb RAM xp64 computer, to see if you can load more than 2 Gb of samples......

Best, Martin

With 64 bit systems and audio , it is the following:
    "Optimization" is not the real word. Any application needs to be re-designed and re-compiled, othwise, it just runs in 32-bit mode. No changes, neither to memory management nor to audio and the respective problems.

At the beginning, you need to have the new Windows 64 bit (Longhorn) which is not yet publically available, only as specific OEM or MSN Developer, and this version is time limited.

If you want to have true advantage, first your audio card needs to have 64-bit ability and new 64-bit drivers. The only one I know are M-audio (Delta etc) , which have a track record of being up to date with any technology.

Then, your audio application needs to be able to handle these 64 bit drivers. This is true only for Nuendo in a 64-bit Beta-Version.

Everything in the chain needs to be 64 bit, i.e. any VSTi and, VI.
    It is not too difficult to port to 64 bit, it is more of a little tedious work (i.e. make all pointers and memory handlers and numbers 64bit etc.

And then, and only then, you are able to have all the advantages of 64 bit (Memory size etc). Looks like we are a long timeline away before 64 bit becomes mainstream.

I tested 64bit with Nuendo and Delta, and it was cool as a glimpse into the 64 bit world. Really fast, that stuff. But I gave up, because everything else old was making backward compatibility problems). You could not use anything that had 32-bit drivers only. And then, Longhorn Beta expired anyway..

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • Just activating 'Notify me when a reply is posted'

• Paul,

Are you going to have results for the Quad core?

• last edited
    last edited
    Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted anything but I figured it was about time to take a break from work and do something I enjoy for once. I'll try to answer some techie questions. I'm about 1 paycheck away from ordering my copy of VI, so I've been reading forums like mad to find out it's memory limitations, since that was my main gripe with GS.

@Another User said:

I think you are right, but as I read on the homepage of microsoft, you still get the benefit of the RAM-management. It would be excellent to get a test on a 4 Gb RAM xp64 computer, to see if you can load more than 2 Gb of samples.

Best, Martin

Well the issue there is that the OS could address the extra RAM, but the VI program couldn't. With 32 Bit addresses you can only store info for 4G worth of samples. (it's like you need to send mail to 4billion people in a country but there are only 2 billion envelopes, so you have no way of sending to the other 2 billion people)

On top of that, the OS is divided into the Kernel/User mem areas, so even if you put it in a machine with 64G of memory if they are using kernel area addresses it will never be able to slip out of that range. SO for 64 bit to work(mem-wise) 2 things have to happen:

1. User area mem addresses instead of kernel area must be used.
    2. Integer storage in the program must be converted over to 64 bit so the program can read and write from the extra address space.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

According to folks on the Nuendo Forum N3 (and I suppose) SX3 can address up to 2.7Gb RAM. Whether or not this translates to more streaming I don't know, but would like to find out before buying more RAM. Similarly for the FX-Teleport machines.

DG

this would be with the 3meg boot switch turned on, however if VI is using Kernel level memory addresses this will actually lower your available memory, not increase it. See my post and Matthias' in the gigastudio memory thread. http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

However if it using user level addresses, then you should be theoretically able to load up to 3gig minus the OS mem load (about 300meg, so 2.7G is probably accurate)
    I'll be "doing it" via FX-Teleport and once things are up and running I'll try adding some more RAM to see how many (if any) instruments I will be able to load.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I'll be "doing it" via FX-Teleport and once things are up and running I'll try adding some more RAM to see how many (if any) instruments I will be able to load.

DG

Cool, that's basically the way mine will be set up so I'm very interested to see what you'll end up being able to load.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

Cool, that's basically the way mine will be set up so I'm very interested to see what you'll end up being able to load.
    It has to work first [[;)]]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It has to work first [[;)]]

DG[/quote]

bah, functionality is overrated as long as it looks pretty. look at Apple [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@cmpsr2000 said:

bah, functionality is overrated as long as it looks pretty. look at Apple [[:D]]

Well I'm not one to get excited about anything "Pooter" related, but RAM is due to arrive any day now [[:D]]

DG

• I'm curious if the AMD, single or dual core, are better than Pentium.
    When will you give us the results?
    Sergino

• where can we find an update of these test each years ? if they exist of course :P

• Hi,

letĀ“s see how fast we can give you more test results. This will be interesting with VE PRO and the new features.

A lot has changed in the last 3 years, and basically you get VERY far with a modern computer and enough RAM, so itĀ“s not really such a "tight" situation anymore. 

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL