Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,589 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,861 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Of course not [:)] But thats not the primary complaint though?

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

...but i think you don't really expect us to announce *there will be a significant discount march 2007*, don't you?
    christian

No, but on the other hand, not two months have passed since the end of the summer sale until the beginning of this one. Speaking for myself and being a student, I can honestly say I feel like a complete sucker having just bought the Opus bundle (not included in summer sale) and thus effectively thrown a difference of over €300 down the drain thank you very much.

You say we shouldn't expect you to make any premature announcements, but that obviously didn't stop you from announcing that this sale will be the "last major" sale. [[;)]]

I realize it's just business and all that, but for the love of God why didn't you include the Opus bundle in the summer sale when you did now? [:P]

Rodney AKA Opus bundle sucker

• opus has been offered for a reduced price even before the summer sale (please see the original price displayed now as *full price*), so there was no option to include them into any further discounting schema
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

opus has been offered for a reduced price even before the summer sale (please see the original price displayed now as *full price*), so there was no option to include them into any further discounting schema
    christian

Well it's even cheaper now isn't it? You could have done the exact thing you did now but during the summer sale, but just set it to 30% of the original "full price" just as you did now. What's the difference?

Obviously, if you could set such a low price for the Opus products now, you might as well have done it in the summer sale as well (30%).

R

• Some reaction From a NEW User !

I just registering today ! Because i never had problem to clarify (Read the forum was enough,always a answer to my question). I prefer work than chat on forum (sorry).

I am a Noob who Own 1st / Pro / and a lot of Horizons series !
    My mail to registering on the forum is the same that for registering my products, and it will be easelly to verifie for the moderators ! I don't agree with upgrade policy ! Can i do it ?? without justify on regular of this forum ???

Thx

(And again sorry for my poor english [:O]ops: )

• last edited
    last edited

@Nobody said:

Some reaction From a NEW User !

I just registering today ! Because i never had problem to clarify (Read the forum was enough,always a answer to my question). I prefer work than chat on forum (sorry).

I am a Noob who Own 1st / Pro / and a lot of Horizons series !
    My mail to registering on the forum is the same that for registering my products, and it will be easelly to verifie for the moderators ! I don't agree with upgrade policy ! Can i do it ?? without justify on regular of this forum ???

Thx

(And again sorry for my poor english [:O]ops: )

Hello and welcome! [:D]

R

• Hi RodneyG and all Others [:P]

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

But remember, although you do end up paying €250 more than someone buying just the new VI products (std + ext.), you keep all your Horizon samples and licence as WELL as the new stuff. Basically you pay a bit more but you get a lot more. If you go for the extended content, you’ll’ve paid €250 for your Horizon CS set. If you paid €815 I’m guessing you think the samples are worth €250!! Plus you can use your Horizon samples right now, no waiting until January.

Well. I doubt that anyone in their right mind would use their old Horizon libs after they get the VI. And even if someone did do it from time to time, they would hardly do it enough to make it worth the extra cost. Atleast to me, its a mute point.

I got slightly excited seeing the 35% rabate on the old samples, which would make it cheaper to upgrade. However I just did the math and it seems I can save about €45/$38 in all, by getting Chamber strings now, and then later upgrading. Hardly a deal maker? And yes its true if someone does buy chamber strings horizon first, they do also get to have that version - but that brings us back to my first point [:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Craig Sharmat said:

Remember when a new roland synth came out. a year and a half later they would come out with a new and improved version with 4X the capabilites for a little less than twice what you paid for the original. you could now sell your old machine for real cheap or keep it as another box. this is essentially happenning here except Roland did not care whether you were a user or not, here you get benefits.

That's a suitable analogy, Craig. I might point out, the only difference is that according to our end-user license, we can't legally sell our old Pro Edition library when we upgrade to VI.

Another thought that comes to mind as I read the lengthy discussions about pricing is the old business adage I learned when I first started my company. If nobody complains about your prices - they're probably too low. If everybody complains - they're definitely too high. The correct balance is probably about 80/20 - with 20% being people who will complain about your prices (but hopefully like your work so much they'll pay anyway).

I haven't done a statistical breakdown or anything, but a lot more than 20 percent seem to be complaining here. Of course, we don't know what percentage of the user base takes time to post - so it's probably impossible to determine from forum entries how VSL is doing in this regard.

All I know is that I've been looking forward to the Cube, thinking I'd definitely upgrade as soon as it was released. But as much as I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on this amazing accomplishment, now I'm thinking I might spend that money on some facility upgrades instead. That's just a real-world reaction to price. I have to spend in ways that immediately impact my bottom-line, and Pro Edition is getting the job done for me right now.

Fred Story

• last edited
    last edited

@Fred Story said:

Another thought that comes to mind as I read the lengthy discussions about pricing is the old business adage I learned when I first started my company. If nobody complains about your prices - they're probably too low. If everybody complains - they're definitely too high. The correct balance is probably about 80/20 - with 20% being people who will complain about your prices (but hopefully like your work so much they'll pay anyway).

I haven't done a statistical breakdown or anything, but a lot more than 20 percent seem to be complaining here. Of course, we don't know what percentage of the user base takes time to post - so it's probably impossible to determine from forum entries how VSL is doing in this regard.
    Fred Story

That's a fair point. However most of the complaining has been from "new" forum members, and the percentage of complainers has been tiny compared with the number of already registered members. So by your percentages the price is actually too low [:D]

DG

• I've just checked my "upgrade" price. Much lower than I had thought, so thanks, and I'll be exercising my credit card later this week.

DG

• Fred,
    There another business adage that may be applicable to this.

10% of people do 90% of the complaining.

And DG reflects another truth, that the most vocal whiners were very 'new members.'
    Draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

That's a fair point. However most of the complaining has been from "new" forum members, and the percentage of complainers has been tiny compared with the number of already registered members. So by your percentages the price is actually too low

I suppose that a price of 200.000 euro would help you to eliminate an even larger percentage of potential competitors...

[6]

• last edited
    last edited

@Chinablu said:

[quote=DG]
    I suppose that a price of 200.000 euro would help you to eliminate a larger percentage of potential competitors...

[6]

OMG!! That's a great idea!!! Can VSL please see to this at once?

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Fred,

And DG reflects another truth, that the most vocal whiners were very 'new members.'

Regards,

Alex.

Ya' try to put a different light on a situation and people think you're a whiner. Oh, well.

I TRY to not be a whiner, but I guess it's genetic or something. I wonder if I can qualify for disability. Would sure beat dealing with the constant deadline pressure. Plus I'd have more time to read all the posts from other whiners complaining about upgrade prices and the like.

Fred

PS - I never suggested that the upgrade price wasn't a fair price. Sure it's a little higher number than I'd hoped for, but if anyone passes the "you get what you pay for" test, it's VSL. I'll probably take advantage of holiday prices on Chamber Strings, Epic Horns and French Oboe and delay my VI upgrade until I take care of some other stuff. Just biz'...that's all.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Fred,

Regards,

Alex.

Ya' try to put a different light on a situation and people think you're a whiner. Oh, well.

I TRY to not be a whiner, but I guess it's genetic or something. I wonder if I can qualify for disability. Would sure beat dealing with the constant deadline pressure. Plus I'd have more time to read all the posts from other whiners complaining about upgrade prices and the like.

Fred

PS - I never suggested that the upgrade price wasn't a fair price. Sure it's a little higher number than I'd hoped for, but if anyone passes the "you get what you pay for" test, it's VSL. I'll probably take advantage of holiday prices on Chamber Strings, Epic Horns and French Oboe and delay my VI upgrade until I take care of some other stuff. Just biz'...that's all.

Nobody suggested that you were a whiner. I have a problem with people who are quite happy to use the forum to solve their problems but don't put anything back. You are certainly not in this category, so please don't think that my comments were aimed at you.

DG

• Nor me Fred.
    It's more a general reference to the weekend's 'entertainment.'

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@Fred Story said:

Not you Fred - for Goodness Sake!

[:P]

• Thanks, Guys...

I've been putting in some impossibly long hours on a punishing deadline, and I suppose my lack of sleep has made me a little more prickly than usual. I pop in for a look when I'm breaking for a bite to eat or such.

And you're right...the conversations here have certainly been entertaining. [H]

Now it's back to work with me. Two more scenes before I sleep...two more scenes...two more scenes...two more scenes...

• Good luck with it [:)]