Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,863 users have contributed to 42,327 threads and 255,187 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

The Vienna Instruments engine was developed by Christian Teuscher (aka "Golem" on these pages) -> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/65/73/6500/6607/6608.vsl (scroll down to the second picture)

I think he's on a well-deserved vacation right now ... [;)]

Congratulations to everyone on the VSL team (especially Christian)! This is clearly the result of a tremendous effort by a talented team.

It seems very intuitive and resource efficient. The memory efficiency is a blessing (I'm constantly freezing and unfreezing tracks in Logic). Looks like this will allow people to spend more time making music and less time fighting with the tools.

Carlos

• The whole thing looks totally amazing. [[:|]]

Just a few weeks ago I was posting here complaining about the Performance Tool [8-)]

• This is fabulous. Exactly what has been needed ever since this brilliant-but awkward to handle- library began.

I suppose it'll be neccesary to keep all the current VSL samples on my hard drives for backwards compatibility with repertoire composed using exs24 ?

That will be a shame, but I can't imagine a workaround (unless Andrea at Redmatica already has something clever worked out [[;)]] )

Nigel

• VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED!!!

I mean wow! Leave it to the Ger... I mean hmm Austrian [:D] , to make something that complex so functional and elegant.

Along with MIR and the Choir Library, (which I would expect to be just as revolutionnary and leave the competition in the dust) , I can hardly imagine how much better it could get beyond that. Perhaps a music generator module so we don't even have to write music anymore! [:D]

Thanks to all that dedicated work and genious design,

marc

• Very interesting developments, certainly a great deal more than many of us could have expected!

I am curious - on a system with equal amounts of ram, how many samples can the new VSL software load percentage-wise compared to GS3?

Also, since this is new software - is it ready to go with 64 bit systems thus allowing well beyond 2 gigs of ram to be used?

I second the call for integration with notation programs such as Finale - the demo videos are oriented towards real-time playing, but it is not at all difficult to see how these new features could be driven from a notation program. After the work of creating the features and editing the samples, this part would be easy. [:)]

I also hope there will be something to look forward to for us poor Opus folk. [:P] [[;)]]

I share the group's curiosity as to what the new (are they new samples?) Strings II package might contain!

• Jesus,

F'n Brilliant.

Nice Team you've got over there.

Congrats, I think I pissed myself when I heard the solo viola demo.

• last edited
    last edited

@Disco Fish said:

Congrats, I think I pissed myself when I heard the solo viola demo.

That's really not going to do your equipment any good when you have a full symphony loaded up is it?

i hope you have a fire blanket nearby! [:D]

• Why is there no articulation for the Orchestral String I and the Orchestral String II ?

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

Why is there no articulation for the Orchestral String I and the Orchestral String II ?

I think they're on their way. No idea when though.

• It's early days still, give it just a little time [:D]

• Went through the movie tutorials. Very impressed. Takes out the slogging which is great as the music is now the focus as opposed to the programming. Initially a bit disappointed that GS3 is being set aside but I realize to optimize the programming specifically to the level of detail that the VSL team have recorded their sample required 'in-house' virtual instruments. Did'nt see anything about how to add the Gigapulse quality reverb now that GS3 is obsolete as far as VSL is concerned. MIR is not with us yet. Don't know whether to buy the VST version of Gigapulse or wait for MIR.
    Overall this is a fantastic step forward and puts VSL back at the fore when it looked like they might be caught by other manufacturers.
    Will await the new pricing structure but am pleased at the 35 percent discount on the old titles. Supppose when we upgrade we will still be able to use .gig samples but the new system is so good it does'nt even look like an attractive prospect. Well done, VSL team - next step up is when we get 64 bit computing and even more velocity layers with the increased ram available . Until then, time to get used to the new instruments. Wonder how far off we are to some experienced orchertarl conductor mistaking the VSL for a live performance. We're closer .

• last edited
    last edited

@John O'Neill said:

Wonder how far off we are to some experienced orchertarl conductor mistaking the VSL for a live performance. We're closer .

We're definitely closer, but already I've seen many orchestral musicians and conductors who knew nothing about VSL listen to some Pro Ed tracks. It did not even occur to them for a second that it was anything other than a real orchestra. Some didn't believe me, most were astonished-- none were happy!!

• last edited
    last edited

@John O'Neill said:

Wonder how far off we are to some experienced orchestral conductor mistaking the VSL for a live performance. We're closer .

We're definitely closer, but already I've seen many orchestral musicians and conductors who knew nothing about VSL listen to some Pro Ed tracks. It did not even occur to them for a second that it was anything other than a real orchestra. Some didn't believe me, most were astonished-- none were happy!!

That's very interesting and perhaps a little worrying too. I'm sure none of us want real orchestras to die out, especially if their demise is being encouraged by relatively cheap and realistic sample libraries.

Besides, I doubt very much that we'll ever be able to totally reproduce all the nuances and subtleties of real musicians with a computer. I say that knowing full well that this new release will be even closer to that illusive goal than ever before. But when you consider that every single musician in an orchestra is doing his/her utmost to impart emotion into their performance, it would take a huge amount of effort to reproduce that artificially. They have finite control over every aspect of their instrument, which they have spent a lifetime trying to tame and fine-tune. Whereas, many of us have never even picked up the majority of orchestral instruments, yet we all expect the same level of performance to be achieved through the limitations of a keyboard, with the help of a few controllers sprinkled here and there.

Ultimately, we will never rival the flexibility and emotional charge afforded by the real thing, but soon I fear even that may be lost forever.

Mobius.

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

Why is there no articulation for the Orchestral String I and the Orchestral String II ?

Articulation lists for Solo Strings, Chamber Strings and Woodwinds I are online now. The others are not ready yet. Maybe a week or two for the Orchestral Strings (no promise, just an estimate [;)])