Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,812 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,931 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Help.

Someone please point me to the url where it shows the new articulations - particularly interested in Orch Strings 1 and Orch Strings 2/ Thanks.

• I'm listening to the solo viola, flute & dbasses video tutorial... awesome... I want it!

With all due respect, but Synful now looks to me like a toy...

[[:|]]

• [:D] No more Gigastudio!!?? omg the implications are awseome. how many installs can you have per purchase? herb??

• Okay... this is freaking me out a bit. Having done some programming for this kind of thing (dwarfed, obviously, by what VSL has managed), I'm totally astounded by the "Universal Mode". Mostly, I can't even begin to understand how they're determining note-lengths in REAL TIME! Aack! It makes my brain hurt just thinking about it!! Markov chains? Neural networks trained on musical examples?... Ouch! This is really mind-boggling. If you don't understand my confusion, just try to figure out how you choose a short-note sample BEFORE you even know it's a short note... Quantum computing??? [;)]

Congrats, VSL. And Christian, in particular. This is really totally amazing.

J.

• Hang on a second, I've just got to collect my jaw... Ah, there it is, on the floor, it appears to have been dropped... [:D]

I'm just wondering whether we're going to be able to use this in Pro Tools. A month ago I bought a copy of Kontakt 2 specifically for this - if I'd known this was coming I might not have bothered. Well, I'm not upset about that, Kontakt is useful anyway and the library is good (especially the VSL instruments).

What I'm specifically wondering is whether anyone has tested (or is planning to test) this VSL instrument with the FXExpansion VST-->RTAS Wrapper. Or if there are any plans for an RTAS version (I'm guessing probably not - VSL have presumably decided to concentrate their energies either on the VST and AU standards, for which we can hardly blame them)?

I've been using the wrapper since it came out and I must say it's always worked just fine on everything I've tried it with - but then none of these things have been handling quite this much data or this much "intelligent detection"-type functionality.

If the VST instrument DOES work with the wrapper and can thus be used inside PT then in many ways this is the ideal scenario for we PT users, isn't it? We'd have the option of running the VST instrument within PT for small arrangements (that's the main reason I bought Kontakt - when I need to do a bigger arrangement I boot up a PC with Gigastudio on it) but we could then have it on another Mac (or a PC) for standalone use running in a VST/AU host.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what the prices look like with the Discount Calculator (come on Christian, it's not like you to be defeated by mere technology! [:)] ) - I had been thinking about buying some of the Horizon series for Christmas but now I know where my pennies will be going. Once again I think we should all show our appreciation of VSL's pricing policy which is that rarest of things in this business: scrupulously fair to the point, occasionally, of near-suicidal generosity.

Either way I think this has to be fantastic news for pretty nearly all of us and we should all offer VSL our hearty congratulations. Although as a PT user obviously I'd've loved to have seen an RTAS version, as I say, I can certainly understand why VSL haven't done that and hopefully there will be a way around this (e.g. the wrapper?)

Anyway, on behalf of everyone here, I imagine, I'd like to say a huge "thanks!" to the VSL team.

Nick

Mac Mini M2 16Gb RAM 500Gb int. SSD 2Tb ext. SSD Pro Tools/Mixbus An awful lot of VI, Synchron-ised and Synchron libraries, amongst others. VSL user since 2003.
  • The engineer who designed the new PerfTool appears to be a genius.

Keep him tight, Herb...

[[;)]]

• Is this really commin in such a cute Box? What if i want to buy chamber strings in VI format? Whould i get the Box withaut Chamber strings in it later? Or do i have to buy them all separately?

I want Chamber string as fast as posible but i dont want to to set the cute box aside... [*-)]

• Very impressive.
    Just the automation alone must have presented a considerable challenge. And the interface is very elegant, as opposed to the garish attempts by other sample companies.
    I'm thinking of all the conversations many of us have had about automation, the sample selection process, etc. I think if there is a way to answer several hundred questions at once, this must be it. And the potential to bypass the restrictive aspects of other programs, must a powerful incentive for many. No more gigastudio? No need to load EXS24? And the ram optimiser cleaning out samples not being used. How many times have so many of us talked of that as an obvious thing to build?
    It must have been amusing for the VSL team to read our discussions about multiple articulations on one channel, more efficient ram usage, and the general passionate ranting and ravings about the limitations for sample library use in general.

I have a question to add. How many instances can we load? Are we restricted to one per instrument, or is the number restricted only by computer and ram resource?

My compliments and respects to Herb, Christian and the team. VSL certainly leads the way, and with class. i admire great engineering, and the pursuit of creative excellence in anyone.

Regards,

Alex.

• Hi Alex

According to the site - I spotted 25000 samples for Windows PC's - 50000 samples for Macs OSX 10.4. Still use EXS24 of course for 'any other' samples. Nothing against Giga - never used it - but in strict regard to VSL - and based on the samples as above - could be defunct.

Still can't see the new articulations list.

• Was this programmed by Isambard Brunel?

It makes everything I already own look like worthless crap.

• Anyone interested in buying 3 licences of GS - cheap [:'(]
    [:)]
    Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Hi Alex

According to the site - I spotted 25000 samples for Windows PC's - 50000 samples for Macs OSX 10.4. Still use EXS24 of course for 'any other' samples. Nothing against Giga - never used it - but in strict regard to VSL - and based on the samples as above - could be defunct.

Still can't see the new articulations list.

Hello Paul my friend, how are you? Interesting times yes?
    Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to get this job finished, so i'll have a better look later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks again for the film info. It's much appreciated, and helped me land a couple of nice jobs, with the potential for more on the way.

My little homemade laptop sample and soundfont colleection looks decidedly ordinary now!

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Anyone interested in buying 3 licences of GS - cheap [:'(]
    [:)]
    Rob

lol!

but no.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to get this job finished, so i'll have a better look later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks again for the film info. It's much appreciated, and helped me land a couple of nice jobs, with the potential for more on the way.

My little homemade laptop sample and soundfont colleection looks decidedly ordinary now!

Regards,

Alex.

It's always a pleasure my dear fellow.

Gotta say - not usually taken with excitement - but the Vst/AU thing took me completely by surprise - this is after waffling on about Spectrasonics etc. Must have made the VSL genetlemen laugh quite hard.

Rob - that's a shame - but what can you do. There's always loads of Giga libraries out there though. Although, I see your point. [:'(]

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Regards,

Alex.

It's always a pleasure my dear fellow.

Gotta say - not usually taken with excitement - but the Vst/AU thing took me completely by surprise - this is after waffling on about Spectrasonics etc. Must have made the VSL genetlemen laugh quite hard.

Rob - that's a shame - but what can you do. There's always loads of Giga libraries out there though. Although, I see your point. [:'(]

Yea - have plenty of other giga libraries I will use ONE licenced GS on [:D]

Anyone need 2 GS licences? [*-)]

This release seems well thought out. The limits of 1.1 gb (RAM) will not be applicable as it was in the kernal based GS software.

Rob

• I am gonna join in on the raving...I just wrote it in another thread -

Very exciting news ! Congrats !! Can't wait to see you guys at Namm....
    this seems like the answer to the many prayers...and
    one more reason to fade out my Gigas...and go for an all mac system. With Xsan and your new development....holy moly...

Very Cool !!

• Where can you find the new articulations written out? I see there are arpeggios, I'd like details....

• hmm... watching the Universal Mode and Speed Control demos a little more closely, I think I'm going with Markov Chains for their note-duration prediction method. It looks to me like they're making a weighted choice for the next speed based on the last duration... Of course, I could very easily be wrong about this. But I need to provide some sort of answer for myself, just to stop freaking myself out! [;)]

Must say I'm VERY happy with the packaging/pricing scheme -- really pleasantly surprised. The choice to put the "basics" of the winds in Woodwinds 1 is a very sensible and user-friendly choice. It means I can get the absolute essentials, complete with performance elements AND instrument, at a very fair price. Great news for all, I suspect.

Also, by the look of the pricinig, I'd imagine any current Pro Edition owners will actually have very little to lay down to get up to the Cube, which is very cool for them!

One thing I'm a little confused about, though. Is there only one instrument, packaged repeatedly with each set? Or are the instruments customized to each set? Since the videos show strings and woodwinds played from the same instrument, it seems as though it's all one instrument...

The new content looks bloody awesome as well... geez... now... how should I blow all my money AND credit?

J.

• Looks great doesn't it?

I fancy these forums could be much quieter in the coming months, due to the fact that there will be a lot less problems and methodology to talk about - we'll all be busy writing music at last! [:D]

Great news about the extra RAM available to Macs and maybe this suggests that MIR will be functional on the Mac after all?

Top marks to the VSL team...just take all my money why don't you!

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@Banquo said:

Was this programmed by Isambard Brunel?

It makes everything I already own look like worthless crap.

The Vienna Instruments engine was developed by Christian Teuscher (aka "Golem" on these pages) -> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/65/73/6500/6607/6608.vsl (scroll down to the second picture)

I think he's on a well-deserved vacation right now ... [;)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library