Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,989 users have contributed to 42,773 threads and 257,283 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• Automation

I only began using VSL this year and am amazed at the quality of work being posted here and as examples on the site, and a big thank you to Beat Kaufmann for the tutorials on his website.

I have not yet acquired a control surface so one question is for recommendations for working on classical/light classical music in Logic. The other is concerning controller 11 which always seems to be set on the highest value. How do you crescendo in this case?

Many thanks in advance,

Jim

• Hi Jim,

What are you looking for in your control surface, and what is your budget?

CC11 is a great additional means to fine-tune the dynamics of your performance.

CC7 is best used for the general volume (set it once and forget... we have already done that for you, to balance the instruments).

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • @Paul said:

Hi Jim,

What are you looking for in your control surface, and what is your budget?

CC11 is a great additional means to fine-tune the dynamics of your performance.

CC7 is best used for the general volume (set it once and forget... we have already done that for you, to balance the instruments).

Hi Paul,

Is there a list of default C7 settings for each instrument? I do tend to leave C7 so assume I am right in using velocity and C11 though finding it fiddly with a mouse. Re control surface, I'd like hands-on real-time control over imported notation or whilst playing into Logic. Not sure now of prices though originally thought around ÂŁ200 maybe more if worth it.

Jim

• Hi Jim,

That sounds like any MIDI Controller will do, and it really depends on your preferences (how many controllers, sliders or knobs, display....)

Is size important? Do you want to travel with it? A budget version many people like seems to be the Korg Nano Kontrols....

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • @Paul said:

Hi Jim,

That sounds like any MIDI Controller will do, and it really depends on your preferences (how many controllers, sliders or knobs, display....)

Is size important? Do you want to travel with it? A budget version many people like seems to be the Korg Nano Kontrols....

Best,
    Paul

Thanks, I will take a look.

Jim.

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Jim
    Thanks for the kind words about my tutorials.

About the use of controllers
    The most natural sounding music with samples (when not played by a music program) is when you play short notes (e.g. staccatos) using the velocity of the keyboard and control the volume of the long held notes over time using the Velocity XF controller. The Velocity XF fade curve moves through the samples recorded at different volumes. You can also support this Velocity XF controller curve by using CC11 (often used as an expression in the midi world) to create a similar curve. You can also support the sound with the “Timbre Adjust” control (CC 8). For example, CC 8 = 127 for forte tones and CC 8 = 70 for quieter tones (as an example). As Paul mentioned, I would select CC 7 as the basic volume at the beginning of a piece of music and, if possible, leave it at this level for the entire time.

Hardware for “drawing” / recording controller curves...
    Unfortunately, everyone has to make their own experiences on this point. Personally, I have tried everything. To this day, I haven't found a controller where I don't have to make improvements afterwards using the mouse. This is also due to the fact that sound changes are not always linear. Turning a control exponentially live is not easy. So that's why I usually still draw curves directly with the mouse. Cubase is very supportive. I don't know how Logic does it. Nevertheless, you have to try it out for yourself. With the Nano controller, you get an inexpensive controller with which you are sure to have good experiences.

In this video you can see most of the things (2. Midi Matters) I mentioned above applied in practice...

Have fun making music with samples
    Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/