Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,476 users have contributed to 42,741 threads and 257,160 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Automation

I only began using VSL this year and am amazed at the quality of work being posted here and as examples on the site, and a big thank you to Beat Kaufmann for the tutorials on his website.

I have not yet acquired a control surface so one question is for recommendations for working on classical/light classical music in Logic. The other is concerning controller 11 which always seems to be set on the highest value. How do you crescendo in this case?

Many thanks in advance,

Jim

• Hi Jim,

What are you looking for in your control surface, and what is your budget?

CC11 is a great additional means to fine-tune the dynamics of your performance.

CC7 is best used for the general volume (set it once and forget... we have already done that for you, to balance the instruments).

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • @Paul said:

Hi Jim,

What are you looking for in your control surface, and what is your budget?

CC11 is a great additional means to fine-tune the dynamics of your performance.

CC7 is best used for the general volume (set it once and forget... we have already done that for you, to balance the instruments).

Hi Paul,

Is there a list of default C7 settings for each instrument? I do tend to leave C7 so assume I am right in using velocity and C11 though finding it fiddly with a mouse. Re control surface, I'd like hands-on real-time control over imported notation or whilst playing into Logic. Not sure now of prices though originally thought around £200 maybe more if worth it.

Jim

• Hi Jim,

That sounds like any MIDI Controller will do, and it really depends on your preferences (how many controllers, sliders or knobs, display....)

Is size important? Do you want to travel with it? A budget version many people like seems to be the Korg Nano Kontrols....

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • @Paul said:

Hi Jim,

That sounds like any MIDI Controller will do, and it really depends on your preferences (how many controllers, sliders or knobs, display....)

Is size important? Do you want to travel with it? A budget version many people like seems to be the Korg Nano Kontrols....

Best,
    Paul

Thanks, I will take a look.

Jim.