Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,914 users have contributed to 42,263 threads and 254,948 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• @LGeist110 - Thanks a bunch for sharing your enthusiasm! It's great to hear that you like MIR 3D as much as we do. This means a lot to us, really!

👍👍

All the best & greetings from Vienna!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @Holgmeister said:

I can second that, if you spend the time and a change of your usual mixing habits (working on classic 2D stereo mixes) it is the literal white rabbit disappearing in the rabbithole in Kansas.

Just one small thing: Add Binaural to your experiments. I bought the recommended add-on from RealVR: Beeing disappointed in the first place, I spend some (support) time with @Dietz (who is so patient, thanks a lot) and the people from RealVR to work out glitches and problems in my DAW. ("Hint: Use Headphone Profiles") And do not pass on all of the training demos from the VSL Team!

It is first and foremost a thing of listening and learning with your ears - as in most cases in audio.

But if you jump into that rabbithole -

@LGeist110 said:
    love the freedom of placement, the customisation options right down to the directional characteristics of the microphones, the preset system, the parallel use of different rooms and so much more that I could go on and on here. I'll just say this much: MIR Pro 3D invites you to experiment as much as a sandbox, so that the possibilities seem endless.

At the end, I took the plunge, had to drop Cakewalk after 10+years (which can only do "fake" surround") and jumped into Pro Tools, but the other usual DAW candidates would have done the same. For some reasons, Pro Tools was comforting, like using an old classic tape reel in the studio. Plus the new world of 3D Binaural placement and experimentation.

What helped me tremendously in this new world was the help of the VSL support and the MIR3D examples.

Or have you ever placed a Opera Sopranist in the Stage Cloud , the doublebass (me!) in the unlocalized deeptone middle and the whirlwind of effects in 4 corners of the stage in the Konzerthaus?

While experimenting, I also detect the great "new" acoustic possibilities of the ORF stages.

So nothing to add:

@LGeist110 said:
    MIR Pro 3D is my best, most important and favourite purchase!

I've already gone down the rabbit hole of binaurality. It's one of the first aspects I tackled as I already owned Spatial Audio Designer, or SAD for short, which is similar software to DearVR. However, since there is a co-operation between VSL and the developers of the latter plugin, I am toying with the idea of buying it in a future discount campaign.

• BenB Ben forked this topic on
  • Yeah, the longer you've had MIR, the more you like it. MIR was already my favourite bit of kit. And then MIR 3D came out...😁

• Yeah, VSL and MIR PRO 3D certainly are top notch products in the audio industry. The very best. Like Red Bull racing! I see Dietz as the Adrian Newey of VSL. Also Austrian. VSL that is. And that from me as a Dutchman. Well there's Max of course...

• A few things that I would like to see in MIR 3D are:

Add a prompt when deleting a venue preset. Today I deleted a venue preset instead of saving it due to the trash can being so close to the save button.😅

When an instrument is out of bounds, it gets greyed out in the channel list on the left. This would make it easier when switching to say a smaller venue and seeing instrument that are out of bounds without zooming out and searching behind columns and stairs for them.

Grouping between venues. This would be nice when I would like to move two or more instruments that are in different venues simultaneously.

Clicking on the name tag of the instrument selects the instrument.

An option for simplified icon names to reduce clutter. like what VEP does with long names.

A way to save/load the entire MIR 3D instance with all active venues and settings as a single file. This would make switching between multi venue setups much easier.

Cheers,

• @JBuck said:

A few things that I would like to see in MIR 3D are:

Add a prompt when deleting a venue preset. Today I deleted a venue preset instead of saving it due to the trash can being so close to the save button.😅

When an instrument is out of bounds, it gets greyed out in the channel list on the left. This would make it easier when switching to say a smaller venue and seeing instrument that are out of bounds without zooming out and searching behind columns and stairs for them.

Grouping between venues. This would be nice when I would like to move two or more instruments that are in different venues simultaneously.

Clicking on the name tag of the instrument selects the instrument.

An option for simplified icon names to reduce clutter. like what VEP does with long names.

A way to save/load the entire MIR 3D instance with all active venues and settings as a single file. This would make switching between multi venue setups much easier.

Cheers,

Some really useful suggestions here! Thanks for contributing.

I can't promise that they all will become reality, but some of them should be easy to implement. At least I'll make sure that VSL's developers take note. 😊

Enjoy MIR 3D!

• last edited
    last edited

An additional note:

@JBuck said:

You mean like a whole server project "frame" in VE Pro? Hmmm ... I understand the reasoning behind the idea, but given that MIR 3D's Preset Manager is based on a rather unique approach with a lot of complexity as it is, I would be concerned that the concept would become hopelessly overloaded.

• @Dietz said:
    You mean like a whole server project "frame" in VE Pro? Hmmm ... I understand the reasoning behind the idea, but given that MIR 3D's Preset Manager is based on a rather unique approach with a lot of complexity as it is, I would be concerned that the concept would become hopelessly overloaded.

Okay, loading each venue separately is no biggie.

Speaking of venue presets, could you please tell me where they are stored on my Windows machine?

Cheers,

• last edited
    last edited
    @JBuck said:
    Speaking of venue presets, could you please tell me where they are stored on my Windows machine?

You can simply drag'n'drop individual presets and/or entire folders to the desktop or to any location that you have opened in the Explorer.

EDIT: ... and vice versa, of course!!! 😊

• last edited
    last edited
    @JBuck said:

VSL's software engineer Arjaan Auinger pointed out that there actually _is_ a warning message. You probably decided to not show it again, that's why you don't see it any longer - just like me, BTW! ;-D

• last edited
    last edited

So how would one go about having that message pop up again? Other software that I use operates on a per session basis. IMO this would work better. And is this for Venue presets as well as Role resets?

• last edited
    last edited
    @Dietz said:
    VSL's software engineer Arjaan Auinger pointed out that there actually _is_ a warning message. You probably decided to not show it again, that's why you don't see it any longer - just like me, BTW! ;-D

So how would one go about having that message pop up again? Other software that I use operates on a per session basis. IMO this would work better. And is this for Venue presets as well as Role presets?

• last edited
    last edited

This forum is a touch annoying in that I cannot delete posts after 2 minutes of posting it. What is that for may I ask? And I attempted to delete a post within the 2 minute deadline and got the following message:

Error

You do not have enough privileges for this action.

• @JBuck said:
    @Dietz said:

So how would one go about having that message pop up again? Other software that I use operates on a per session basis. IMO this would work better. And is this for Venue presets as well as Role presets?

The next update will offer a button in MIR's preferences to reset all "Dont's show this again" messages.

• @JBuck said:

This forum is a touch annoying in that I cannot delete posts after 2 minutes of posting it. What is that for may I ask? And I attempted to delete a post within the 2 minute deadline and got the following message:

Error

You do not have enough privileges for this action.

This is how the forum admins have decided to implement the edit feature. There is a dedicated thread in the "Website" subforum on this topic already - please voice your dissatisfaction there. Thx!