Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,916 users have contributed to 42,331 threads and 255,206 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 31 new user(s).

• Best Daw For VEP?

I have cubase but am starting to go off it as it wont let you assign midi track outputs in an accending order.. for example

midi track 1 - output 1/2

midi track 2 - output 3/4 etc..

I have to go through each track manually and change it rather than in the excellent VE7 where I can just simply press shift and voila all done.. no need to go thorugh thousands of tracks changing outputs.

What irritated me about cubase is I spent ages doing all the outputs manually and it bugs out and changes outputs back to 1/2 for 70% of the tracks whenever I close the folder track .

here is a video Cubase 13 Folder Track Bug (youtube.com)

• I meant "L Alt" not shift šŸ™ƒ

• WTH - just closing the folder of your midi channels lead to changing the outputs? If so, it would be a nightmare to rebuild any big template. AFAIR, I did not note such a bug in Cubase 13 a few weeks ago, when I almost finished my monster template up to 50 outputs per rack (there are other things and issues in Cubase, I could tear my hairs every day, but this is new to me). Coming back to your question: as I use Cubase mostly as a ā€œmidi editorā€, there is nothing better than Cubase, IMO. Did you open a ticket at Steinberg?

• @kingy10kingy said:
    What irritated me about cubase is I spent ages doing all the outputs manually and it bugs out and changes outputs back to 1/2 for 70% of the tracks whenever I close the folder track .

Is that also the case when you save the project and restart Cubase?

• @PeterH said:

WTH - just closing the folder of your midi channels lead to changing the outputs? If so, it would be a nightmare to rebuild any big template. AFAIR, I did not note such a bug in Cubase 13 a few weeks ago, when I almost finished my monster template up to 50 outputs per rack (there are other things and issues in Cubase, I could tear my hairs every day, but this is new to me). Coming back to your question: as I use Cubase mostly as a ā€œmidi editorā€, there is nothing better than Cubase, IMO. Did you open a ticket at Steinberg?

I did open a ticket I hope I don't get fobbed off as this is a critical bug

• @kingy10kingy said:

@PeterH said:

WTH - just closing the folder of your midi channels lead to changing the outputs? If so, it would be a nightmare to rebuild any big template. AFAIR, I did not note such a bug in Cubase 13 a few weeks ago, when I almost finished my monster template up to 50 outputs per rack (there are other things and issues in Cubase, I could tear my hairs every day, but this is new to me). Coming back to your question: as I use Cubase mostly as a ā€œmidi editorā€, there is nothing better than Cubase, IMO. Did you open a ticket at Steinberg?

I did open a ticket I hope I don't get fobbed off as this is a critical bug

@Frankenstein said:

@kingy10kingy said:

Is that also the case when you save the project and restart Cubase?

I even used an empty new project to test and the bug still happens when you save and try to reload the project then open and close the folders and boom most of the outputs get changed... There isn't even a shortcut to get all the outputs in accending order like there is in VEP7.

• @kingy10kingy said:

I have cubase but am starting to go off it as it wont let you assign midi track outputs in an accending order.. for example

I have to go through each track manually and change it rather than in the excellent VE7 where I can just simply press shift and voila all done.. no need to go thorugh thousands of tracks changing outputs.

The best DAW for VE Pro funcionaly is Digital Performer 11. My shop builds templates for DP/VE Pro, Logic Pro/VE Pro and Cubase Pro/VE Pro. Digital Performer doesn't have the best audio engine of the three, but in terms of functionality, Digital Performer is the easist to use with VE Pro. Assigning MIDI outputs requires seleting the tracks, opening the Output Assignmnets window and assign as many track outputs as you like.

If you're really refering to plain MIDI tracks, here's DP doing that.

If you really mean instrument tracks or MIDI tracks associacted with Instruments, here's DP doing that...

Regards, Steve Steele https://www.stevesteele.com
  • @kingy10kingy said:
    I even used an empty new project to test and the bug still happens when you save and try to reload the project then open and close the folders and boom most of the outputs get changed...

Okay. That is strange then. The reason I asked is that I am having similar issues, however, when I do the assignment, save and restart then everything looks as expected and correct.

• @Frankenstein said:

@kingy10kingy said:
    I even used an empty new project to test and the bug still happens when you save and try to reload the project then open and close the folders and boom most of the outputs get changed...

Okay. That is strange then. The reason I asked is that I am having similar issues, however, when I do the assignment, save and restart then everything looks as expected and correct.

Did you close and reopen the folder after reloading the project?

• @Steve-Steele said:

@kingy10kingy said:

The best DAW for VE Pro funcionaly is Digital Performer 11. My shop builds templates for DP/VE Pro, Logic Pro/VE Pro and Cubase Pro/VE Pro. Digital Performer doesn't have the best audio engine of the three, but in terms of functionality, Digital Performer is the easist to use with VE Pro. Assigning MIDI outputs requires seleting the tracks, opening the Output Assignmnets window and assign as many track outputs as you like.

If you're really refering to plain MIDI tracks, here's DP doing that.

If you really mean instrument tracks or MIDI tracks associacted with Instruments, here's DP doing that...

Thanks , will have a look into this. I like how you can assign outputs in accending order.

• @kingy10kingy said:
    Did you close and reopen the folder after reloading the project?

No. The folder stayed open all the time.

• As I have now similar issues, I opened a ticket at VSL and Steinberg. My big template is useless...weeks of preparation and money wasted. Hopefully this bug will be found soon and the issue solved asap.

• Interesting: if the folder structure is different, that said the VST instrument folder is arranged as shown in the screenshot, Cubase does not change the outputs anymore.

• @Paul and @Andreas8420

IMO this should lead in the right direction, I will inform Steinberg as well. I suppose you (VSL team) have a better connection to Steinberg that you could force the efforts to solve the issue asap, to be honest. Thank you.

• PS: I think that the last phrase sounds a bit harsh (I could not edit my posting), English language barrier...sorry for this.