Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,989 users have contributed to 42,333 threads and 255,217 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• [SOLVED] Can't get Vienna Imperial (ilok version) to load samples/positions

Hello,

I'm a long time Vienna Imperial user. I'm trying for the first time the iLok enabled version installed through Vienna Assistant.

I tried this in a computer where no other VSL software was installed, as Windows 10 was recently installed from scratch on it.

I have all of my VSL content in a dedicated SSD, including the Vienna Imperial content.

In the past, under the same circumstances, but with the eLicenser enabled version of Vienna Imperial, al I had to do was to install the player, then look for the Directory Manager, add my dedicated SSD to it, and then the Vienna Imperial player would load the sounds properly.

But, with this new iLok enabled version, I didn't get the Directory Manager, so I had it installed by also installing Vienna Instruments Pro. But, even after adding my dedicated SSD to the Directory Manager, Vienna Imperial still can't find the samples/content. I get a message saying "The selected position file could not be found" when I try to load any of the positions.

I tried installing the old player, and it immediately worked as the SSD was already added in Directory Manager. Then I tried installing the new version again, but once again, it cannot find the sound files.

How is this configured for the new version?

Please help. Thank you.

Francisco

• Okay,

After reading another post on the forum, I found out that the iLok versions of the software require you to redownload your libraries. I did that and it is now working.

I'd like to point out that this change should be friendlier with the user. I don't think it's rare that a user like me that already has everything downloaded, and based on past experiences, expects that content to just work when resintalling the software.

The new software should be able to detect the old library and tell the user the library needs to be updated. Also, in Vienna Assistant, it was unclear where to get the library for Vienna Imperial, until I started putting more attention into my big list of products and noticed that the "Vienna Imperial" in "Software" was not the same product/download as "Vienna Imperial" in "VI". The software section should have some kind of pointer to the library section and viceversa.

Anyway, it's resolved now. Thank you.

Francisco

• last edited
    last edited

To the occasional reader of this thead: That's the important part of the info given on this site's "Hello ilok" sub-page:

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Sure. The info is given externally. Not in Vienna Assistant. Not in the installer. Not in the running application.  How nice and user friendly.

Silly me, really. I apologize. 🤷‍♂️

• The hint was not addressed to you, but to other readers who find this thread when searching for answers to similar questions. There's no doubt that the transition to iLok should be made as painless as possible for long-time users.

Thanks for your understanding. :-)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library