Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,356 users have contributed to 42,221 threads and 254,767 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

Hello all
    Here are my 2 cents on the subject of microphone signal delay:

My job is "Recording Live Concerts". For this I usually base my recordings on a main mic (ORTF, Decca, EBS etc.). When the formations get bigger, I have to use mic spots especially to bring the rear instruments into the mix a bit to give them back some presence (but also soloists). If you didn't do that, then all the percussion instruments, for example, would sound rather washed out and reflections from walls, ceilings, etc. would then be so dominant, which wouldn't do the overall sound any good at all. In order for the "presence-return" to work well, it is important that the distance "main microphones - spot microphones" is balanced in time (0ms). The trick is to balance the volume of the spot microphones (close) in such a way that the distant instruments sound more present, but are still perceived at their natural distance - in other words, they don't really move closer.

To cut a long story short: In a good and transparent recording, the times between the microphones are more likely to be balanced (in time) than not. If there are time differences between the microphones, the main danger of acoustic cancellations is great.
    What am I trying to say? Experimentation is always good. If it sounds better, unconventional things are great of course. But with all experimentation, you should always try a variation where all delays are set to 0ms. Then you have the situation that all signals generate the least amount of such (mentioned above) cancellations. It simulates the situation as if all microphones were 0m away from each other in time. So adding delay times by you as the user means restoring the "real recording world", but at the same time " re-worsening" the situation, which the recording engineer tried to correct by all means.

A lot of success

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • last edited
    last edited

@Beat Kaufmann said:

Here are my 2 cents on the subject of microphone signal delay:

Beat, thank you very much for being, as usual, clear and informative!

Paolo

• Beat, thanks for your input, as I don't have any recording experience. Very appreciated!

Actually, I don't know if I'm still ok with what I wrote. :) I would prefer a time-aligned version, I think, but not the Synchron one. I think there is a sonic difference between an alignment where the main microphones were set to 0 ms instead of delaying the close ones to the main mics. I find the sound very "instant" and "flat" (in lack of a better term), and I can hear this especially in the legatos. There is something missing which I can't fully name and describe. 

With my posts I tried to give ideas to think about. I don't know if this is the solution at all, but I (and many other users) simply don't get warm to the sound. I mean, this has to tell us something? Why does the Synchron libraries does sound so different to other libraries?

Especially the legatos. It is because of the microphones being used or the time-alignment? I don't think that these are the famous VSL legatos. Unfortunately VSL doesn't talk much about these things. Do we still have dedicated legato landing notes or just crossfades like in the older leg-sus patches? For me it sounds more like the latter one, and this would really be a pity. I don't want an overly expressive legato, I wan't the same legato we have in the VI libraries. But again: I didn't want to bring the legato topic back, but for me this is still a huge turn-off from the Synchron series (everything else is top-notch as always with VSL).

• last edited
    last edited

@Pixelpoet1985 said:

Beat, thanks for your input, as I don't have any recording experience. Very appreciated!

Actually, I don't know if I'm still ok with what I wrote. 😊 I would prefer a time-aligned version, I think, but not the Synchron one. I think there is a sonic difference between an alignment where the main microphones were set to 0 ms instead of delaying the close ones to the main mics. I find the sound very "instant" and "flat" (in lack of a better term), and I can hear this especially in the legatos. There is something missing which I can't fully name and describe...

Hello Pixelpoet1985
    I'm going to assume that VSL solved the timing synchronization of all microphones well, so we users don't have to take on the task of doing it ourselves between microphones. By the way, I use the tool "https://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align/" for this matter in my recordings

But as I read from your post, you somehow don't quite like the sound of the sync libraries. Although you attach this circumstance to the Legatos, I sense from your text that this applies more or less generally. At the same time, it seems that this was not yet the case with the VI libraries...

The thing with the sound went me also so. Just because I myself record orchestras, I hoped that the synchron recordings now correspond to how I record strings, for example: A super natural sound, now new with spatial synchron stage component - and everything as we are used to from VSL: in the best quality.
    So I ordered in advance the Synchrons Strings ... and was mighty disappointed. I put them aside and used them no more. I didn't like all the presets. Especially the presets that make the orchestra sound distant were the most unnatural sounding to me.
    I had the same bad feeling with the synchronized libraries, some of which I bought but never used...
    ------------------------------
    Then one day came the message from VSL - that we can now use the libraries in "default mode". So unprocessed - the sound shuld be as the instruments were recorded. That was the turning point for me. Suddenly I had the sound available that I actually wanted... The libraries suddenly sounded fresh, natural, I could have the second violins play on the right, layering string libraries resulted in more fresh combinations, etc. free from any setting by VSL. Since then, I am an enthusiastic "unprocessed user" who is thrilled with the new synchronous line. Meanwhile I also do all the mixing (positions on stage of the instruments) in the individual Synchron players and put only one Reverb with a little Tail in the output channel. And because sound is a matter of taste - I found my personal sound with the presets "unprocessed". Listen to some "unprocessed" demos... or also here with the Prime Edition.

In short: Maybe you will find your solution also by using the "unprocessed version" or also called "default". I think with different milliseconds between the microphones you gain little. With all my demos, I just make music. I'm never bothered by legatos that don't sound exactly the same as in reality, because everything together sounds quite real (e.g. a little night music) and fresh... In any case, an independent person would not point out the legatos as a serious problem.

In this sense, perhaps a new approach to also regain more joy in the great VSL samples.
    Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Beat, thanks for all your lengthy and detailed answers. Very appreciated!

I also pre-ordered Synchron Strings and was also disappointed with the sound. But only with the sound – not the legatos, for examples. At least we had patches VSL had been known for and no other developer had: fast legatos, performance trills. This is a missed chance and totally not understandable why VSL took a new route. The old libraries were and are still miles ahead of the competition and better than the Synchron ones. The new libraries only have this agile legato which is awful and only works in some very special cases – useless for me and extremely out of tune (which might be good for strings, but for the other instruments?). VSL should really think about the current legatos, because these aren't good. You can definitely hear that they use crossfaded legatos instead of dedicated landing notes (a clarification by VSL would be nice, by the way). It's very emotionless. And not only is the natural delay missing, also the slight timbre and tuning change when the legato transition happens.

I also miss the natural dynamic behaviour of the VI series, i.e. the vibrato naturally increases with your dynamics. We now have crossfade-able vibrato, but it's not the same, especially with VSL's clean approach. And to get the same feeling as in the old libraries, you have to use crossfade all the time. These espressivo patches are also useless for me, the vibrato kicks in way too late. I don't understand this. But hey, it's only me! :)

Back to the sound:

To be honest, I also tried the unprocessed preset. But where to start? And why has it always be so difficult with VSL? In any (!) other library I have I take the tree and the sound is good. With Synchron I have to experiment and use many microphones (and delays!) to get the same result. Phew! ... We have thousands of presets and they aren't good and not to my taste. Why not drastically reduce them to, let's say, three mixes. I want a classical (scoring stage) sound like in other libraries, with some reverb, EQ, saturation, limiter. For example, the lush presets are ridiculous with all the delay and processing. In which normal situation should these be taken?

Some presets are good, but not unified across the instruments. For the strings I like the ambience mix, for brass the close or classic mix. Why not make, as I just said, one or three mixes with a good classical sound in which the instruments share the same base microphones? I mean, in which normal recording situation you have various settings for the tree? Never. It's always the same.

I hope it didn't sound harsh again. Because I start to think if you get too harsh you won't get any answers. I'm still waiting for Bernd to answer some of my previous questions ... ;)

• last edited
    last edited

@Pixelpoet1985 said:

Beat, thanks for all your lengthy and detailed answers. Very appreciated!

I also pre-ordered Synchron Strings and ... I'm still waiting for Bernd to answer some of my previous questions ... 😉...

I have no real answers to your questions. These must actually give VSL. But I have a few more thoughts and facts on the subjects if you're interested.

VSL sound development over the last 20 years
    When VSL started, the credo was to produce samples that sound as natural (neutral) as possible. Furthermore, the samples should be as universal as possible. So they offered them as dry as possible. The difficulty at that time was to produce samples as neutral as possible, but still in a way that they didn't sound too dead. VSL achieved super high quality, whereas other libraries sometimes had individual sounds that contained errors. This was very annoying when the error was always heard at the G#...

Despite all the super sound of the VSL libraries, it was obvious that the neutrality was "interpreted" by some users as somewhat expressionless and that many of the users had trouble creating a concert atmosphere with the dry samples. I always used as much as possible different articulations and had never problems with "an expressionless sound". But it is understandable that a composer would actually want to simply combine his piece with samples and then it should sound like a real orchestra.

So VSL came up with the brilliant idea of MIR - a processor that takes care of the mix with the right acoustics, just by placing the instruments on a virtual stage. VSL wanted to do it quite well (as always) and even integrated the possibility to have instruments play backwards - away from the listener but also integrated many microphon systems and and and. So at the same time, VSL wanted to continue to offer the great flexibility of the past. The result is/was a product where you can adjust so much that the beginner is overwhelmed and where you can adjust so much that the sound is certainly not 100% the best. Since MIR, in my opinion, all demos are (partly far) away from the former neutrality in sound. This is especially true when a lot of instruments play in MIR. The people at VSL never agreed with me on this point. This was also the reason why I hardly ever commented in the forum during the last years. I respect, that they can sell a product that the find super, without a customer who has not the same meaning.

When VSL then recorded their libraries in the Synchronstage, the library sounds were strangely all still somehow "processed". In any case, there was no perceptible gain in the sound, even if "real space" could now be added with other microphones. But then suddenly the samples could also be used unprocessed. Now the former neutrality in sound is/was available again. For this I am very grateful to VSL.
    Which customers VSL wants to satisfy with their presets I don't know exactly. It is probably the sample beginners. I can see it in myself. The experienced user accesses the unprocessed samples. But I agree with you that there is still room for improvement in the sound of the presets. Many just sound totally discolored, "boomy", "cheesy" or...

To the Legato sounds
    VSL was one of the first companies to offer Legatos. But soon there were musicians who demanded a more "warm legato", a sad legato and so on. The discussions about legatos are actually as old as the first legato samples.
    From earlier times I know that VSL recorded the intermediate notes for an octave up and for an octave down (from each note). In painstaking work, one (Herb) then somehow cross-linked these transition tones so that they were used correctly when playing. An incredibly huge and fine job, considering that this was also done for different layers.
    I can imagine that a simplification had to be made, because today the instruments not only have different layers (dynamics) but also different microphones. The work of producing legatos in the past (e.g. solo strings) would get out of hand with the new libraries. Especially when you consider that everything would also have to be done for surround. So I believe that the legatos are done simulated in "another way"

This is how I solve "a more natural legato"
    In large ensembles you don't really hear the legato thing and in smaller formations I "layer" the ensemble libraries with solo libraries anyway. So the whole legato thing doesn't bother me much. 

My attitude towards the limited possibilities when using samples
    When I bought my first synth in 1975, there were no computers to record music, only sequencers. Ping-pong recording on a Revox tape produced polyphonic music because the first synthesizers only played monophonic. In the 80s, midi gradually appeared, along with midi sounds. When I bought the first library in 2002, it was another huge step towards real orchestral sound. Knowing all the music prodaction matters before I'm still thrilled when I have a whole symphony orchestra by my side at 3 a.m. No divisi, some artificial legato sounds and things like that don't really bother me. I've learned over the years that working with samples also means making a lot of compromises (missing articulations, wrong vibratos, legatos, timing problems due to fixed articulations, etc.). I'm just trying to do the best I can and I'm happy with the results so far. Nevertheless, I also notice that the music with samples sounded just as good about 20 years ago as it does today. If you can't make this willingness to compromise, it's probably best to leave the music with samples. Anyone who is halfway willing to accept the restrictions should try to enjoy what is already possible. He can also hope that manufacturers like VSL are trying to get better and better. The fact that none of the competitors is really that much better shows that the task is not easy.

Future
    A next level will probably be reached when more artificial intelligence supports us in choosing articulations, connecting two notes (legatos), etc. Reaching this new level will probably take a while.

All the best

Beat

• last edited
    last edited

I produced a video...

How to enhance (improve) the legatos of newer string libraries?

Have fun

Beat

• Hi Beat,

just to be double sure, in your video, the violins1 and 2,  and viola solo unprocessed use MIR though right? 

Best, 

Rubens

• last edited
    last edited

@Beat Kaufmann said:

I produced a video...

How to enhance (improve) the legatos of newer string libraries?

Have fun

Beat

Laying first chairs has always been a good addition, but doesn't solve the problem.

I've spent a long time with the legatos (maybe too much :D) and come to a new conclusion:
    The playability is indeed different as in the VI libraries, more instant, more direct, and – neglecting the delay I mentioned earlier – the only thing I miss is a fast legato (and not a slower one). As said, the agile legato is useless for me and can only be used for very fast movements or runs. The normal legato (I'm talking about Elite Strings here) is indeed quite "long", but it should only be used at a specific (i.e. slower) tempo. If you play faster we need a faster legato with different attacks and shorter transitions, like in Synchron Strings I and all of the VI libraries. This is missing across the whole Synchron range. Yes, we have the agile legatos, but I miss a fast legato without these out-of-tune, portamento-ish transitions which is described as a new approach by VSL. Please, VSL give us the normal fast legatos back and, at least, I will be happy. 

As I also said earlier, the fast legatos and performance trills have always been VSL's killer feature and I can't understand that they took a new route. The old ones were perfect. Without "proper" fast legatos it very easily does sound synthetic and midi-ish like in the majority of other libraries on the market, because these also doesn't have fast legatos. But at least, they have some kind of mechanism that alters the transitions via your playing speed. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Rubens Tubenchlak said:

Hi Beat,
    just to be double sure, in your video, the violins1 and 2,  and viola solo unprocessed use MIR though right? 
    Best, Rubens

Hi Rubens

No, the Solo Strings are completely unprocessed, as are the String Ensembles. Neither the Synchron String Ensembles nor the Solo Strings use MIR. Everything is truly "unprocessed". The very dry solo strings are only "panned" to the right place (L, R, M).  Finally there is just some "reverb tail over all" in the output channel of the daw... (see the mixer in the attachment)

All the best

Beat

• last edited
    last edited

@Rubens Tubenchlak said:

Hi Beat,
    Best, Rubens

Hi Rubens

No, the Solo Strings are completely unprocessed, as are the String Ensembles. Neither the Synchron String Ensembles nor the Solo Strings use MIR. Everything is truly "unprocessed". The very dry solo strings are only "panned" to the right place (L, R, M).  Finally there is just some "reverb tail over all" in the output channel of the daw... (see the mixer in the attachment)

All the best

Beat

Hi Beat,
    Synchron Strings Pro and Elite are inside the Synchron stage, being that, the sound comes already with some treatment "by nature", by the choosen mics, and there is no need of MIR, that is clear.
    The confusion of mine was how to deal with the violin 1 (vi version for example). The answer is: it will be completely raw, having only the same amount of tail as the other ensembles and panned, right? In other words, ensembles inside the Synchron stage room and violin 1 only some algorithm tail.
    Sorry to insist! :-)

• last edited
    last edited

@Rubens Tubenchlak said:

The confusion of mine was how to deal with the violin 1 (vi version for example). The answer is: it will be completely raw, having only the same amount of tail as the other ensembles and panned, right?

I'm not Beat, but I would guess that the added Solo Strings are like spot mics on the first chairs. The drier they are, the more their raw character will emerge, emphasizing their legato (among the other things).

Paolo

• Great answer, thank you Paolo!

• last edited
    last edited

@Rubens Tubenchlak said:

Great answer, thank you Paolo!

Hello Rubens
    Here are the individual tracks as they were mixed.

https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/Legato-Improvement.zip (ca. 7MB)

Synchron Pro Instruments:
    positioned using the various microphone options and Pan (preset: default).

Synchronized Solo Instruments:
    MIR Unprocessed - dry (and yes, used like First Chair Instruments - so to say).
    -------------------------------------
    You can drag all tracks into an audio mixer and you will get the raw version of my mix in the video. The rest is fine tuning and some EQ on the quiet parts.
    The individual track files (even as mp3) should now answer your last questions.
    Regarding MIR - I basically never use MIR! We have never become friends 😊

Beat

• Concerning the microphones and mixes, here are some new thoughts:

Even though these are two different recordings concepts, the Synchron stage libraries match curiously and surprisingly very well with the Blumlein setup in MIR Pro. After having experimented a lot of time (again) I think I found a good sound. And the solution is: Lower the center mic of the decca tree.

I don't know what setup VSL used for recording the Synchron libraries. It's not a typical decca tree, isn't it? Would be nice to have some more details on this from VSL (e.g. cardioids vs omnis). Of course, there are many variations for this setup.

The Blumlein variant "Triple-8 Coincident" (and also the other Blumlein variants) in MIR Pro has the center lowered by 10 to 15 db by default. And the same value sound very good with the Synchron libraries. And this is also (in some way) used in the "Wide Surround to Stereo" presets. Sorry, but if this preset is loved by everyone and considered the best, then why not make a mix out of it? Yes, we have the room mix, but it sounds different. Of course, it can't have the same depth, but I think it also has a different microphone balance. I only have the standard microphones and all the presets have the center NOT lowered to this extreme degree. (And I always thought with the "standard" decca tree you shouldn't go lower than 6 db with the center).

Of course, the mixes are all subjective. But with lowering the center I get closer to the sound I love and also to get the sound I have in all of my other libraries. I can only repeat myself: It's very curious and surprising that you can achieve nearly the exact sound in MIR Pro if you use the exact microphone levels / balances (and even the delay settings) used in the Synchron libraries.

• last edited
    last edited

@Pixelpoet1985 said:

..And the solution is: Lower the center mic of the decca tree.

I don't know what setup VSL used for recording the Synchron libraries. It's not a typical decca tree, isn't it? Would be nice to have some more details on this from VSL (e.g. cardioids vs omnis). Of course, there are many variations for this setup....

Of course, the mixes are all subjective. But with lowering the center I get closer to the sound I love and also to get the sound I have in all of my other libraries. I can only repeat myself: It's very curious and surprising that you can achieve nearly the exact sound in MIR Pro if you use the exact microphone levels / balances (and even the delay settings) used in the Synchron libraries.

Basically, what sounds good is OK.
    You say: I don't know what setup VSL used for recording the sync libraries....
    There is actually a picture with the microphone setup for each library.

For the Synchron Strings Pro you can read out for the standard version that the single sections (e.g. Violins 1) have A Close-Mic. It was obviously in front of the first violins. If you listen to the sound, the violins sound in mono (it's not the first violin solo, but the whole register). If you set the preset to "Default" this microphon can be heard unpanned in the middle of the stereo field in mono. In the offered VSL-presets the close microphone signal is often "panned" to the left.

Violins 1 have then a second microphone. This time a stereo variant. Probably a small AB arrangement with the name "Mid". With the preset "Default" you hear the violins in stereo and that the microphones must be relatively close to the 1st violins. If you choose presets from VSL, this pair of microphones is also panned more to the left. With this setup "Mid-Microphone" you can well adjust the width of the sound the register.

On the plan there is also the "Decca Tree" (Main). This is actually an AB stereo method, i.e. 2 microphones with relatively large distance (2m), in order to be able to capture the width well also with larger orchestras. The disadvantage of this "large AB method" is that later there would be a "hole" in the stereo center between the speakers. There simply sounds nothing, even if actually instruments play there. That's why Decca used a "center microphone" in the middle between thos AB-Mics - just to fill this stereo hole. The special thing is that this center microphone (Main-C) projects forward (about 1.5m) into the orchestra. Of course, this does not mean that this Main-C must be as loud as the two outside microphones. But if it is missing completely, there is a risk of the mentioned "center hole" and if only the two large AB microphones are in use, larger correlation errors usually occur because the large time differences between the microphones inevitably lead to cancellations. In the headphones such "errors" (unfortunately) always sound great, because space effects are always great there.

Finally, there are room microphones (Room). You have to read the individual libraries more closely. It is usually a mix of the main mics and the surround mics.

So we know very well how VSL recorded the Synchron Libraries. You can hear all the microphone signals (best with the preset "Default") and see on the respective plan of each library.

How far with MIR the different microphone arrangements are actually real recorded or whether they are "only" simulations, would have to say Dietz. It is the father of this baby.
    As said, if settings fit, then everything is OK - however, such "good sounding" settings should always be checked via loudspeakers as well and also quickly with a correlation meter.

Beat

• Beat, thanks again! But I've done my homework, I read all manuals and am very acquainted with the setup pictures. This is basically the same all other developers record their libraries. I wanted to know more technical details, maybe I was not clear enough. In another thread VSL mentioned the microphones they used (AKGs, DPAs vs Neumanns). Maybe they made changes to their patterns (cardioid, omni) or other things? Bernd mentioned that they used various distances for the tree which I don't understand. In a "normal" recording situation you won't have different settings, for example. Maybe it's all too technical or unimportant for some users, I'm interested in these things. Firstly, I simply want to understand why certain decisions were made. And secondly, with my experiments, I want to help finding a "good" sound (i.e. the sound I and most users are after).

Concerning the tree:
    Thanks again for your input! I don't turn the center off, just lower it. And VSL does the same in their presets, that's why I was wondering. The majority of presets have the center lowered and even turned them completely off (e.g. "Wide Surround to Stereo). In my opinion, it has to be lowered in order to sound "good". So I don't know what they made with the tree.

Concerning the room:
    The room mix is indeed a combination, I know, but we don't know the balances – and it's not changebale in the standard libraries. So I'm limited with the sound, if I don't like it.

Concerning the close and mids:
    Here I would like to hear your opinion about the panning VSL made. If the close microphones are mono, why do you narrow the width instead of only panning it to the left or right? In my opinion there is a huge difference in sound if you let the width intact as it is or if you narrow it. Wouldn't this make mono out of a mono microphone? Or is it because the original mono microphone was panned very wide so that you always have to narrow the width?

• @Air said:

Hi,

Yeah Paolo got it right! The mics are all time aligned if the Delay is turned off or set to 0. It is a runtime offset like you would have it in a real recording. You can play around with it.

As also said before the presets are just starting points. If you wanna have a time aligned sound turn them off. If want to move the tree or the room mics away from your close mics or mids use the delay (3ms = 1 meter). If you want the room playing a 16th note or what ever after your close mics, go for it.

Hope that helps

Best

Bernd

Bernd - I am also noticing that some Surround presets have the "21" delay listed on certain microphone channels yet the delay slot on said microphone channel is deactivated (even when the microphone is turned on) -- and this can differ from instrument to instrument -- is this a bug? a feature? Why would they be set for 21 yet deactivated?

I've tried to figure this out but I cannot glean an answer from the manual

Thank you

• @Beat-Kaufmann said:
    Then one day came the message from VSL - that we can now use the libraries in "default mode". So unprocessed - the sound shuld be as the instruments were recorded. That was the turning point for me. Suddenly I had the sound available that I actually wanted.

OK - that opened a new world for me Thank you Beat

• @Beat-Kaufmann said:
    hat we can now use the libraries in "default mode".

It seems though, with the "default" mode, that there is no panning applied and the microphones all show no volume differences between L/R

If the "default" was actually how the instruments were recorded, would they not naturally skew more to the side of the stage on which they are being played? For example, I opened Synchron Duality Strings, Violins 1 (Mixer Preset Room - Classic) and nothing is panned

Am I misunderstanding that the instruments would not be even in volume between L/R?