Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,314 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,487 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 64 new user(s).

• Yep, I made the transition, too.

1. I made a complete backup of my system with all libraries (elic) to be safe.

2. I installed only the new Vienna Assistant.

3. All downloads were made to an external SSD w/o installation (download only).

4. While waiting for the iLok3 dongle to arrive and the all the downloads were finished, I was working with the former elic enviroment.

5. After registration of the new ilok3 dongle, all lics were stored on it (2 min. at all).

6. Within the VA, I chose "install from drive" for all libraries and deleted the former elic stuff.

Now everything is fine! :-)

There is only one point I want to mention:

The new Synchron Player 1.2.105 is still not "native". I'm working on macos Big Sur M1 and Studio One. I hoped it would come with that transition, too. Now, 1 1/2 years after the introduction of the M1 chips, I still have to run my DAW in Rosetta mode – only because of the Synchron Player. All other 3rd party plugins like Fabfilter, Liquid Sonics, HOFA, NI Kontakt most Toontrack stuff, Valhalla and many more... all are native, now.

For me this is CORE! I don't want to see popping up 5 or 10 new libraries or whatever before the Synchron Player finally becomes native M1. I think, there are many M1 users out there, still waiting.

Nevertheless, I'm very satisfied with that smooth transition – well done VSL!!!

Cheers, Gunter

• I thought it would be a huge drag to have download everything again, but on the contrary, I find that I'm re-experiencing the thrill of downloading them the first time!

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Does this mean that I will have to reassign all the sounds in my DAW in every project? I have hundreds of projects.

(I tried searching under DAW, but the forum won't allow that as a search term)

• last edited
    last edited

@belkina said:

Does this mean that I will have to reassign all the sounds in my DAW in every project? I have hundreds of projects.

(I tried searching under DAW, but the forum won't allow that as a search term)

No, everything opens like it was saved before.

• last edited
    last edited

@belkina said:

I tried searching under DAW, but the forum won't allow that as a search term

unfortunately (or fortunately for the amount of results) the search term has to be at least 4 characters long.

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@belkina said:

Does this mean that I will have to reassign all the sounds in my DAW in every project? I have hundreds of projects. (I tried searching under DAW, but the forum won't allow that as a search term)
    No, everything opens like it was saved before.

I made the transition to iLok.  

I opened a song I did in logic a few years ago and got this message.

The plug-in named "Vienna Inst" isn't available on your system.  Choose another plug-in, or quit Logic Pro and install the plug-in on your iMac in order to use it in the project. 

I am able to load Vienna Instruments Pro but it did not reassign all the sounds in my project.  I would have to manually reassign it myself.   Hmm, not what I was looking forward to doing.

• So unless I'm missing something, Vienna Instruments is no longer useable once you make the transition to iLok. Can anyone else confirm? I don't remember reading anything from VSL about them not making VI compatible with iLok, but it's listed as such in "MyProducts."

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/Y1G8RjI

• Hi, 

That shouldn't be the case, transition should be automatic.
    Please check that VI Pro shows up in Logic's Plug-in Manager (maybe you need to validate it manually). 

If that's not the case: Can you please send us your project, so we can look into it? support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@J.H. said:

So unless I'm missing something, Vienna Instruments is no longer useable once you make the transition to iLok. Can anyone else confirm? I don't remember reading anything from VSL about them not making VI compatible with iLok, but it's listed as such in "MyProducts."

You're totally missing something!
    Your eLicenser protected products will keep on working just like before. 
    You just cannot run both eLicenser versions and iLok version side be side on the same computer. 

VI is not compatible with iLok because we added a free update to VI Pro for all VI users with iLok. 

Dig in to the extensive documentation to find out more!

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@J.H. said:

So unless I'm missing something, Vienna Instruments is no longer useable once you make the transition to iLok. Can anyone else confirm? I don't remember reading anything from VSL about them not making VI compatible with iLok, but it's listed as such in "MyProducts."

You just cannot run both eLicenser versions and iLok version side be side on the same computer. 

VI is not compatible with iLok because we added a free update to VI Pro for all VI users with iLok. 

Best, 
    Paul

If VI Pro is compatible with iLok, then how come it's marked as "not convertible to iLok" on the MyProducts page? (as seen in the screenshot)

• Hi J.H., 

Because the license actually is not converted. VI Pro is now the free sample player for all VI Collections on iLok.

So you do not need a license for VI Pro, and it will not be converted.

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

That shouldn't be the case, transition should be automatic.
    Please check that VI Pro shows up in Logic's Plug-in Manager (maybe you need to validate it manually). 

If that's not the case: Can you please send us your project, so we can look into it? support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Hi,

The following VSL Plug-ins show up in Logic's Plug-In Manager.  All are successfully validated and checked. 

Vienna Ensemble version 6.5.0

Vienna Instruments version 5.0.0

Vienna Instruments Pro version 5.0.0

Vienna Synchron Pianos version 1.1.0

Vienna Synchron Player version 1.1.0

I reinstalled Vienna Instruments Pro and Vienna Instruments Pro for VI.  I opened another logic project I did with VSL Special Edition Vol. 1 and the transition was not automatic. 

• last edited
    last edited

@J.H. said:

Best, 
    Paul

So what happens with those projects left with the original Vienna Instruments player or partly converted to VI pro?  [Edit} if making this transition to this ilok thing?

• Hi, 

All projects that contain a VI instance are converted to VI Pro.
    Simple as that. 

As soon as you open an eLicenser protected song with VI instances in your iLok protected environment, those projects automagically work. 

Best, 
    Paul

• Ah....ok, thanks, Paul.

I'm not a technical person so I may have further questions. As things stand I can't accept all of ilok's T&Cs so I have to decide whether I accept them unwillingly or decline the conversion. This of course is my problem.

• Hi Firefrost, 

No problem. 

I'm not good in abbreviations or simply a bit tired ... what is T&C? Terms & Conditions? 

Best,
    Paul

• Yes. Terms and Conditions. 

(I edited my comment to make the phraseology more coherent!)

• last edited
    last edited

@Firefrost said:

Ah....ok, thanks, Paul.

I'm not a technical person so I may have further questions. As things stand I can't accept all of ilok's T&Cs so I have to decide whether I accept them unwillingly or decline the conversion. This of course is my problem.

I know I've said some of th is before but it bears repeating:

What are you going to do when Steinberg does away with the elicenser which is on their horizon? They've already said it will be going away. Sooner or later you're going to be faced with having to deal with iLok. There's a lot of developers who are using iLok for protection. I've never had a problem with the iLok system. Have 2 iLoks and each has their own ZDT yearly coverage. Cheapest insurance investment that can be made.

• I was very pleased reading about the move to iLok and bought the Synchron Steinway full library using the current offer on all products. Unfortunately I was very disappointed when it came to the iLok activation. I already have all Ivory II pianos as well as the VILabs Ravenscroft and True Keys Pianos activated in iLok. BUT these ALL offer the posibility to activate the licenses by binding it to the computer without the needs of a dongle or a permanent internet connection for a „cloud“ activation. Why is this not possiple with the Synchron Pianos?? I hate hardware dongles and I hate to be online with my Windows machine during recording sessions. Every once in a while Windows starts doing something in the background while online and this can ruin recordings! When will you enable the third iLok location alternative activating licenses directly to the computer beeing able to work offline without a dongle?

• last edited
    last edited

Hi stuenn,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see you disappointed.

Machine-based licensing simply doesn't offer enough protection. There's nothing else to it.

With a highly demanding production process like ours, we simply cannot afford to be hacked.

I see that you have purchased in our webshop, so feel free to return your license within 14 days.

We hate to see you go, but it would be even worse to see you so unhappy and upset.

Best,
    Paul