Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,582 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,854 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

Hello, Paul,

1.I can't send you anything, because you can't hear it on the mobile phone recording

2. you can actually improve it with the condenser microphone

3. I put a screenshot on you. There is no effect when you turn the knob. I know the function of the ivory pianos, you can clearly hear the keystrokes.

4. yes i have a half pedal in my clp 585 yamaha. You can adjust the volume, but I don't understand why the default value for the presets is set to such a high volume (value is 0 and still so high). Presets are supposed to be there to have preconfigured values and not to have to change the value for the pedal every time.

PedalU0020Noise.mp4-1696492144388-kd4t4.mp4

• I have to agree with Snoopy10 about the pedal noise - it's really loud on the presets, though at least (unlike the  bugged Vienna Imperial) you can actually turn it right down. But really with a continous damper pedal it should be velocity sensitive, because at the moment no matter how slowly I press the pedal, when it reaches a certain threshold there's the same noise. If I move the damper pedal slowly, the damper pedal noise should be much quieter, but the "ambience" from the opened strings should still be there.

And talking about opened strings, am I missing something here, but is there supposed to be an equivalent of the Vienna Imperial's "2sus" mode? It's one of the things that, for me, really brings a piano to life.

• I agree with angelus.  I don't hear sides swaying like the imperial, even though it's advertised

• I also think the pedal noise is very loud in the default setting. Also it doesn't seem to react to continous controller - it's a sharp threshold.

I have another issue, I find the A6 and G#6 (but other notes as well) to sound very strange when pressed repeatedly, especially in the p to mf range. I attach a file. I don't know if I screwed a setting but it really distracts me from playing. Actually I just loaded the player setting and mixed a little bit some other mics in as well.

• I noticed that too this morning, but rated it less annoying than the pedal noise and lack of sympathetic pedal sound. Actually, if I was picky, I'd also say there was something off with the release samples in the C1 area as well.

• Hi Paul,

I really love the sound of this piano.

If you buy the Standard version, can you try out the Full version as well as temporary licence thing, if you know what I mean?

thanks if you can tell me.

best,

Steve

• last edited
    last edited

Hi guys,

Just quick: Thanks for all your input, we're digesting and adjusting!

@Steve, we cannot offer free demo licenses, but we offer a hassle-free 14-days return policy if purchased in our webshop.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Gamma1734 said:

I have another issue, I find the A6 and G#6 (but other notes as well) to sound very strange when pressed repeatedly, especially in the p to mf range. I attach a file. I don't know if I screwed a setting but it really distracts me from playing. Actually I just loaded the player setting and mixed a little bit some other mics in as well.

I've been doing a lot of A/B comparing this morning between Vienna Imperial and the new Synchron Imperial and came to the conclusion that they are so different you can't really compare them. I love the "clinical" anechoic VI sound, it's just like you sitting in your own little (well, maybe not so little) booth right at the piano keyboard, but you cannot compare this to the infinite variety that the Synchron piano with its multiple mics and flexible delay settings gives.

As to Gamma1734's point, that strange "wah wah" effect that those few notes give when repeated in certain dynamic ranges, actually you can hear it just a little in VI too. I'm guessing it's down to the interaction of the string tension and damper force in that particular very small range of notes, but I think it just so happens too that it's hitting something in the acoustic response of the Synchron Stage, like a little bit of "slap" which is arriving back and accentuating it.

Bottom line, I'm going to stick with VI for just playing a piano for enjoyment as the Synchron Imperial has too many little idiosyncracies, but it's got to be the Synchron for serious orchestral work.

• Thanks Angelus for your answer. I have both right now, but (sadly) due to financial reasons I will have to give one back (thanks to the return policy). I was sure to keep the new Bösendorfer but now you really make me think about it! It is true: the vienna imperial sounds so different to my ears compared to the Synchron. In fact I privately made comparison recordings and sat down and listened to them. The VI is sharper, clearer, melodic lines are not so nicely connected as the Synchron. Also the black keys just sound better in the Synchron. But there are the other little problems you also adressed. Sadly the wah-wah thing really distracts the playing experience for me... It's just unfortunate. Not sure what to do now. IF... one would have more money :D It's amazing how well the VI held up!

I am hoping a bit that when I have a better situation to buy the full Synchron Bösi (before end of June of course) and get a more realistic sound. I mean it's obviously a great sounding piano - but so is the VI as well. As a student a decision is needed now from my side.

• Hello Paul,

1.is there a manual for this new interface with the key noise function?

2. could it be that the velocity seems so hard to me because the key noise control has no function and is therefore set to hard?

3. The same function is available for the ivory pianos. Among other things, it also makes the touch sound less hard.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Georgy,

The Key Noise is not labeled too well, it is actually the Key Release Noise, as you can see in the mouseover info.

We will change that description at some point, hopefully soon. And I think there is also a correction in the logic behind it on the way.

Here's the Synchron Pianos online manual.

Best,
    Paul

• Hello, Paul,

I've discovered something else.

From f3 downwards a key always sounds double. Once when pressed and then when released.

• Hi Paul,

May I please have your advice here. I have just purchased a SSD 2 terrabyte drive, and one of the reasons is to try out the new synchron piano.

However, can I just have the Piano library on the disc by itself, and not with the other vsl samples on the other drive?

The other drive does not have enough room, and it is not an SSD either, so that's why I'm asking.

thanks for your advice here.

best,

Steve

• Hi Steve, 

You can store your samples wherever you like, no problem!

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Snoopy10 said:

From f3 downwards a key always sounds double. Once when pressed and then when released.

Yeah the release samples are inconsistent in the bass.  Those ones are too loud, but most are perfect and some are too soft.  There are a few areas that will stick out occasionally with an unexpected dry release, for example G#1-A1.

I'm guessing they'll get it sorted soon since the older Synchron pianos have always excelled here, unlike most of the pianos on the market.  Those D-274 releases were absolute perfection.

• Maybe my first example was a bit unclear. With headphones, in this little excerpt it should be clear what I mean. A fix would be very appreciated. Edit, it's just the release sample volume. Reducing it solved the problem. It needs to be adjusted by hand.

• Hi

Hi Paul,

thanks for that answer.  Sorry, I didn't realize you had replied. Ok, I'll check the link you gave me about the 14 day tryout.

thank you,

Steve

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Steve, 

You can store your samples wherever you like, no problem!

Best, 
    Paul

Thank you Paul,

that's great.

Steve 😊

• last edited
    last edited
    Hi, I made a video demonstrating the microphones in the Bösendorfer and Steinway, and a little comparison of the Player Setting in Standard and Full library.

• last edited
    last edited

@Gamma1734 said:

I've been noticing the same - it's very odd, almost like a squelch on the release, on mid velocity notes from around D5-B5. I hope it's fixable as it's spoiling what would otherwise be a very good piano.

Playing on headphones tonight, I noticed a few quirks with the stereo image on the Mid 1&2 mics. For example, on Mid1 C4-C5 are panned slightly left, C#5-B5 panned right, C6-F6 left, F#6 right, G6-B7 left, C8 right?!? I don't know if it's a 'feature' of the mic positioning, but it doesn't do this on the Steinway.

If anyone has a chance, could you play a chromatic run on the Mid mics and see whether you hear the same?