Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,152 users have contributed to 42,278 threads and 254,995 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• thanks MMKA. I agree on the sounds being very compatible also.  

• Today, Spitfire Audio anounced their 'new' direction (which has been crafted for the last two years now...)

Spitfire Studio Strings!

Their poster reads as follows:

"An incredibly versatile pro-end dry stage sample library - giving you total control."

I hate to have been the prophet about this while back when this forum thread first started...

Cheers to all with much love!

• That‘s interesting. But why do they put it into Kontakt instead into their own HZ Strings-Player? Fail! The basic sound of these Studio Strings is good.

• last edited
    last edited

Funny, they sell a "dry stage sample library" and therefor very little ambiance, with 7 Microphone-Positions. I am not sure if that RAM-Load will be that efficient.😶

Kontakt? Meanwhile their HZString-Player is not that much different, to stay with Kontakt does not seem to me that innovative. 😶

However Pro seem to be very cheap in respect to GB per €: 210 GB only 399€ = 526 Mb/€ 😛

(while the normal version with 13 GB makes 199€  = 65mb/€ 😔)

• The great thing on an own Player is that you can develop what ever you like. I do not get why they go with Kontakt. Maybe they know that the next Kontakt Version will be a game changer and NI convinced them to stay with Kontakt. After listening to the first walkthrough I have to say ... what you get for 399 is really good. Beautiful emotional Legato, beautiful Mutes, Divisi, a few effects which could work great with our FX Strings 1 ... I will definitely buy the Studio Strings. I can imagine that this Library works great with VI and MIR/MIRACLE too.

• last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

Beautiful emotional Legato, beautiful Mutes, Divisi, .

What disappoints me again and again, with the seemingly "large" Spitfire Articulation lists, is that they are in fact often so incomplete:

• Only one or two Legatotypes and those only in a few sections available.
    • No fast Legato
    • No accentuated Legato
    • the same is with Sordini often only Long CS only some sections have also some short CS but no Legato CS at all, while in reality an instrument with sordino is able to play everything what it would play without
    • Divisi with just 6 different basic articulations
    • not that prepared for higher or even brilliant tempo:
      • no fast legato type
      • I can not see if and how much any shortpatch include round robin or not

At least coming from VSL everything seem to more or less just 'adumbrate' but never made consequently complete and is therefor in my eyes scarcly fully usable in the same way. And there is little hope that they will ever ad any further Volume to complete what is missing.

And of course still as clumsy to use as we know it from Kontakt-Libraries

• Well ... you can‘t have it all ;D .. that‘s why I wrote VI and the Studio Strings will be a good combination. And you have to see the price. All in all and especially divisi combinations plus VI Strings offer a lot of options. Woodwinds and Brass are next. I wish that one day the Vienna guys will communicate their upcoming releases the same straight way. This is very helpful for a good planning of additional Hardware and does hurt no one.

• last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

Well ... you can‘t have it all ;D .. that‘s why I wrote VI and the Studio Strings will be a good combination.

OK I see.

Yes, perhaps nice to get some cheap additional colors available. (I am a more and moret cautious with that kind of selling point which blows up my SSD-Need so fast.) however it is at least imaginable that way.

as I said good GB/€ ration (for the Pro edition) meanwhile I still wonder if it would realy be that reasonmable to have 7 Microphone-Positions for a "dry" Studio Library,

• "Hans Zimmer strings"  

That is a sickening concept.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Hans Zimmer strings"

btw - I don't care anymore about any change in VSL's direction -this thread was brought up out of the murk of the internet and is basically irrelevant. I moved on long ago. Change in direction? Great! I couldn't care less. Go 180! I love it.

What??? HZ Strings are not the topic ... And we do not care about the change either. That‘s why we are discussing about an alternative dry Library 😄 What means „Go 180“??? Oh man, I go to Sports now ... 😊

• LAJ sorry got a little carried away. I lapse into a comatose state accompanied by violent twitching and frothing at the mention of Hans Zimmer.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Hans Zimmer strings"  

Yes it is. And even more important a pretty clumsy sedate reacting result of this concept.

I think they (spitfire) have learned a least a bit from the often not very friendly reactions.

While it seem to me if they drew the wrong consequence if they droped the development of an original Sampleplayer, even if their HZS-Player does not seem to go notably beyond what we already knew from their Kontakt UI. However, they at least try to do something of quality even if the results cant be for us anything more than perhaps an additional resource of Patchvariants.

I still do have most expectations for VSL keeping track to continue of what they have bedung in the Quality and depth we are used to get only here.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Hans Zimmer strings"  

Yes it is. And even more important a pretty clumsy sedate reacting result of this concept.

I think they (spitfire) have learned a least a bit from the often not very friendly reactions.

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean you have to talk like you do, Fahl.

I don't think Zimmer Strings was a failure. Not financially, not artistically. It is a very special library with a special sound that obviously isn't meant for classical/normal orchestral work. Hence the special articulation set present in it as well. It is for hybrid/experimental stuff, something I doubt you understand or have any insight in.

I am sure there are good reasons why (several) of their newer releases don't use their own new sample player. They could have been in development even before Zimmer Strings was, or they need features that their own sample player doesn't have yet and would take long to incorporate (this could be GUI related also). Also their own engine is only a single instrument player (for now). They could quite possibly be waiting for it to be finished as multi instrument player before they make anything advanced use it.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Hans Zimmer strings"  

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean you have to talk like you do, Fahl.

I don't think Zimmer Strings was a failure. Not financially, not artistically. It is a very special library with a special sound that obviously isn't meant for classical/normal orchestral work. Hence the special articulation set present in it as well. It is for hybrid/experimental stuff, something I doubt you understand or have any insight in.

I am sure there are good reasons why (several) of their newer releases don't use their own new sample player. They could have been in development even before Zimmer Strings was, or they need features that their own sample player doesn't have yet and would take long to incorporate (this could be GUI related also). Also their own engine is only a single instrument player (for now). They could quite possibly be waiting for it to be finished as multi instrument player before they make anything advanced use it.

Sorry, but I can not see any reason why you should tell anyone how he has to talk ort not. You have your opinion I have mine, try to be adult enough to just respect that.

• I wonder if Synchron will eventually go the same way as 3d TV and curved screens......

• I haven't checked out the Zimmer strings so I shouldn't have said that.  I will check them out.   I really appreciate Simon Raven's input, as he is a brilliant composer and performer. 

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I haven't checked out the Zimmer strings so I shouldn't have said that.  I will check them out.   I really appreciate Simon Raven's input, as he is a brilliant composer and performer. 

William, I read the comment as coming from a "Zimmer opposer". I used to not be a big fan of Zimmer and his music many years ago, but I have learnt that he is not just an "orchestral pop song writer" I can dismiss as inferior and non-worthy. That he is actually one of (if not the one) Hollywoods most visionary and innovative composers, always striving to come up with a new, suitable musical universe for his movies. That isn't what I think he did in the 90's, but sometimes (often) you are also just hired to do a job, and you don't get much saying in musical style. So seeing where he has taken his scores in the 00's and onwards I can't blame him.

He is not a typical classical composer like John Williams, which I think is an absolute genius, I guess that here, John Williams is scoffed at as well, so let's just for arguments sake choose say that Zimmer is no Dvorak, Beethoven or Sibelius either - or if those guys are too mainstream too, pick any obscure, genius composer you want. Zimmer is something different, but that doesn't make his talent less. It is just different. Sound and sound design is at least as important in his scores as the compositions. 

Anyway, a lot could be said on that topic. But just to clarify what Zimmer Strings is, and the visionary man behind it (together with the SF gang of course). That this was not meant as a classical string library. Why on earth would you do 60 cellos ensemble if that was the point!

I regard it as yet another great tool at my disposal, that I have hardly had any use for yet though. But hopefully some project will call for it as it has a special sound and organic feeling to it, especially the non-typical articulations. The standard staccatos/sustains are a bit hit and miss I think - some are useful, some are not.

• last edited
    last edited

@ZWaves said:

Today, Spitfire Audio anounced their 'new' direction (which has been crafted for the last two years now...)

Spitfire Studio Strings!

"An incredibly versatile pro-end dry stage sample library - giving you total control."

I just found that First Recording a user made with the new SSS  (and VSL Winds to me the most convincing part in this piece). I do not want to imagine how sharp the "synth" complains must have been if he posted something like that here 😉

I fear it remains what I think about Spitfire: ambitious, but currently scarcly touch any more than the half of what we would expect it to be.

• last edited
    last edited

@ZWaves said:

Today, Spitfire Audio anounced their 'new' direction (which has been crafted for the last two years now...)

Spitfire Studio Strings!

I just found that First Recording a user made with the new SSS  (and VSL Winds to me the most convincing part in this piece). I do not want to imagine how sharp the "synth" complains must have been if he posted something like that here 😉

You're reaching, Fail. There has been a ton of negative response (also people calling it synthy) regarding the new Spitfire strings library, including from me. People are not biased against VSL at VI Control's forum. VI is an independent forum, that's the difference. Here the userbase is largely biased towards VSL. And this is VSL's own forum, so why wouldn't they be? If Spitfire had a forum, I am sure it would be mainly SF fans that posted there.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There has been a ton of negative response (also people calling it synthy) regarding the new Spitfire strings library, including from me.

That make me think that we are even quite close or even consent with our judgement. So what is the problem?

As you can see in the quotation on which I reacted with my posting I answered the quite optimistic Post of ZWaves, while I already was a bit more sceptical, and just wanted to give with that link kind of an illustration, what would make me sceptical.

I have with no word mentioned about anyone "biased" or any other Forum you name here.

Are you sure you really answer to what I have posted here and not any kind of donquixotesque "Windmill" ?