Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,382 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Hi Paul, Just purchased the Synchron piano bundle and missed the silent key action in the first piece I played. So instead of 5 there are now 6 pianists requesting it. Love the product, but this is a shortcoming. Ton

• Hi Paul,

I am interested in buying the Synchron Steinway but I can not listen to the sympathetic resonance feature via the pubblished demos. Therefore, I would like to ask you if this feature is currently working well or if you are working to fix it.

Thanks

Matteo

• Paul, may you add a 7th user asking for it? While I only have the light version of the Steinway and the full version of the Blüthner, in general I would say that silent key is needed for maximum realism. It is also needed for playing harmonics.

Paolo

• Hi, 

Thanks for making this request more visible. This feature is still on our to-do list, but without ETA. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •  

Hi everyone (and of course especially Paul!)

I was one of the five people first asking if it was possible to implement a silent key function. It might not be a main stream functionality - you can play all the classics and it is never used in any film score as far as I know - but if you're a bit more adventurous, it is a must. Bartók used it, and avant garde classics like Berio, Boulez, Ligeti and Stockhausen did so too (quite often). Moreover, the implicated sostenuto function makes no sense without the silent key function. All the top competitors (Garritan, True Keys, Synthology) have this function. There must be a way to implement it and make the VSL pianos absolutely perfect - they are already so much better then anything else out there!

I guess it is a matter of more people asking for it. Hope this helps…

All the best and let’s hear from you!

Roeland

• Let me add my voice to the (not as big as I'd like) crowd: silent key and built-in velocity curve editor are 2 main features I miss with Synchron Pianos

• Same here, silent key, a velocity curve editor and better sympathetic resonance would make the VSL Pianos the undisputed kings of being the best alternative to a real acoustic out there.

• Hello Paul,

I have purchased the Steinway and tested it. Unfortunately the feature called "sympathetic resonance" does not work as sympathetic resonace would, destroying the sound naturalness. Although the piano has other good qualities, this is a bit disappointing if compared to a much cheaper piano like the Garritan Cfx, which has a good sympathetic resonance feature. 

To decide whether to keep the piano, may you assure me that you are fixing this issue in reasonable time?

Thanks

Matteo

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Matteo, 

I agree, it's not as great as it could be. We'll have to invest some more research time to improve it, and I hope we can get to it soon. But I can't give you an ETA. 

Personally, I wouldn't make this a decisive factor for your decision, those Synchron Pianos are great as they are. Which won't keep us from improving them! Just my opinion 😊

Best, 
    Paul

• Hello Paul,

Thank you for the quick answer and for your advice. I believe that Synchron Pianos are great too and I am glad to know that you'll continue researching to improve also this feature. 

Best regards

Matteo

• Paul,

Please make sure that silent key, when implemented, is an option that can be turned on/off, and has configurable velocity threshold value.
    Here is what I mean: if it is turned on and set to 5, then keys pressed with velocity 5 or below are treated as silent; and if it is turned off, than even velocity 1 produces ppppp sound.

• Hi Paul,

I was about to start a thread to request silent keys for all piano libraries, as this is really an important property of acoustic pianos. Happy to discover others have mentioned this, so as a classical pianist who uses this feature "in real life," I'd like to add my voice too.

There are numerous instances in the piano literature in which we depress a key silently and then hold it using the sostenuto pedal for instance.

A simple albeit temporary workaround would be to require a minimum velocity level (something sufficiently greater than 1 in order to emulate an acoustic piano) to produce a sound. Even if there were no sympathetic resonance as a result, this would still be far preferable to hearing a sound no matter how slowly a key is pressed.

Hopefully this small feature can be implemented soon.

Kind regards,

Albert

P.S. Loving the new Bösendorfer Imperial—many thanks.

• + 1

To be very honest, reading and watching the presentations at the time of launch, I was convinced it was already part of the features. 

Beside the fact I was disappointed by the fact it was not, I think that a product of this level, and aiming to the described postioning should include this feature, beside improving the way sympathetic resonance works with pedals.

Synchron pianos are wondeful products, and deserve this type of care IMVHO despite the fact the list of developers is obviously long and lot of priorities burning. Please don't neglect it, please don't wait too long :)

• There might be a small group that feel the need for a silent key feature, but I'm sure close to 100% of users would benefit from a velocity curve editor and a functioning sympathetic resonance. The velocity curve editor being the most important. 

God Bless,

David

F308, D-274, 280VC, Bösendorfer Imperial, Vienna Imperial
  • last edited
    last edited

@David B. said:

There might be a small group that feel the need for a silent key feature, but I'm sure close to 100% of users would benefit from a velocity curve editor and a functioning sympathetic resonance. The velocity curve editor being the most important.

Of course, but: almost all the good piano keyboard controllers have a velocity curve editor, while they can't improve sympathetic resonance 😉 This is definitely up to VSL

• [quote = hazend_18867; 287923] dann bin ich jetzt der nächste Benutzer, der das nicht mag :-) Ich möchte diese Funktion auch haben

[Zitat = Paul; 287919]

Hallo, 

Entschuldigung für die Ablehnung, ich warte immer noch auf die Antwort unserer Entwicklungsteams. 

Wir müssen sich darum kümmern, ob dies so möglich ist, wie Sie es erwartet und wie viel Zeit es sich handelt. 

Im Moment ist es auf unserer persönlichen Liste gehört, und die Rechte sehen gering zu sein, bereits 5 Benutzer. 

Am besten,
    Paul

[/ Zitat]

Hallo Paul,

Danke für deine Antwort! Ich habe die Rechte verloren und ich sehe auch, warum stirbt leider eine negative Rechte haben. Trotz der Anzahl der Rechte, der Funktion, die fehlten, der fehlenden, der VSL-Perfektion, die der Ethos-Verwaltung entspricht, und der Gesamtheit der Wiener Komponisten, der Laufzeit der Jahrhunderte zur Entwicklung des Klaviers haben war es geworden ist ...

Danke lieber. Ich werde sterben Hoffnung Hoffnung!

Alles Gute,

Roeland

[/ Zitat]

• [quote = fatis12_24918; 297637]I agree.

[quote = David B .; 297628]

Es mag eine kleine Gruppe geben, die das Bedürfnis nach einer stillen Schlüsselfunktion verspürt, aber ich bin sicher, dass nahezu 100% der Benutzer von einem Geschwindigkeitskurven-Editor und einer funktionierenden sympathischen Resonanz profitieren würden. Der Geschwindigkeitskurven-Editor ist der wichtigste.

[/Zitat]

Natürlich, aber: Fast alle guten Piano-Keyboard-Controller verfügen über einen Geschwindigkeitskurven-Editor, während sie die sympathische Resonanz nicht verbessern können;) Dies liegt definitiv an VSL

[/Zitat]

• Hi guys, 

I'm afraid I don't understand the point of those weird auto-translations into german. 

Best, 
    Paul

• Oh, indeed very strange these translations. If it's that necessary to have something in german you can pm me as a native german speaker first.. To the topic, i am more on the side of velocity editor yes (not super needed for me however, I realized the problem often is my PLAYING and not some options), sympathetic resonance yes (although I think it doesn't sound that bad as everyone says), silent key not interested that much. I mean honestly, I have a 3k DP and I feel FAR away from caring about things like silent key functionality, there are so many other problems with that thing first. But I can understand it if you have a K500 Aures or NV10 or whatever.

• + 1 for Silent Key Strikes