Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,511 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,831 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@al_lupo77 said:

Vienna Instruments/Vienna Ensemble 6.0.16999

• Added: Support for Synchron Pianos

Pianos.  Plural!

• I was irritated by the plural too. I can not imagine this. I mean, Paul mentioned „we are fast“ ... but that would be ... „as fast as Spitfire“ ;)

• last edited
    last edited

It is very likely that there will be at least one more VSL grand piano sample library in the future beside the upcoming YAMAHA CFX. Please have a look to a post from VSL, which you can find right under their CFX teaser-clip on their facebook-site: https://www.facebook.com/viennasymphoniclibrary/

"Vienna Symphonic Library We like to give you as much choice as possible! Starting with the Yamaha - it is a beautiful instrument and we have seen quite a few piano players who were heavily impressed by the performance (both at Synchron Stage Vienna and in the Synchron Piano Player)."

I personally hope that VSL will sample the new full concert grand piano model from BÖSENDORFER, the 280VC, as this grand is now also available equipped with Enspire PRO like the YAMAHA CFX Enspire PRO, which they already own. And I hope, VSL will publish this second grand within the next year in 2019. I'm sure BÖSENDORFER would be very supportive.

Please have a look at my posts above about YAMAHA Disklavier PRO vs. BÖSENDORFER CEUS.

Their STEINWAY & SONS D-274 is not a reproducing piano and therefore not remotely accessible. Because of this, the recording sessions of this grand with a "human" pianist and editing process afterwards would be much more complicated and therefore much more time consuming. And in my opinion, a sampled STEINWAY D would be redundant to the YAMAHA CFX. If their CFX is a very fine exemplar, then there is no need to have the "same" VI for a second time. A BÖSENDORFER instead would be a really different sound to the YAMAHA.

To have a sample library of a STEINWAY & SONS D-274 satisfies only vanities on the basis of the brand name, in my opinion. Of course, vanities are probably the biggest motivations for buying a STEINWAY. But to make decisions on which grand piano to sample, factors such as abandonment of a pianist, remote controllability, and precisely programmable key stroke gives many advantages through the production. 100 velocity layers in a grand piano sample library - VSL VIENNA IMPERIAL - are not possible with a "human" pianist.

• I agree, that VSL should not record the same Bösendorfer we already have a second time. That would not make sense from user-side. Maybe they can borrow the new model for a recording-session. I think the CFX will be the weapon of choice for all the people who are looking for a universal Piano that is made for many styles of music (not only classic). Many famous studios like Abbey Road made their purchase-decision finally for the CFX. I‘m not sure about the Steinway. Yes, is has no computer, but I remember that VSL mentioned a Sample-Robot which they used to record the Synchron Celesta. Maybe they meant the Skylife-Robot or they have some kind of C3PO ... sitting there all night long ... 😀

• last edited
    last edited

@Francis Martin said:

To have a sample library of a STEINWAY & SONS D-274 satisfies only vanities on the basis of the brand name, in my opinion. Of course, vanities are probably the biggest motivations for buying a STEINWAY. 

I laughed out loud when I read this hahaha

• Stephen, could you explain your point of view in more detail so that we all benefit from your experience. Laughter in this sense is often a bit awkward and not exactly competent.

• I mentioned Abbey Road ... Look what I found ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sulGpl58lJg

• Hi LAJ, thank you for linking that really interesting video about the decision-finding for purchasing that certain grand piano. BTW, do you know, if the shown YAMAHA CFX is that very instrument, which was used for the GARRITAN CFX?

Pity that STUART & SONS are not so well known outside of Australia. Their 290 full concert grand sounds unbelievable, like from another world. But... not a reproducing piano and therefore not remotely accessible.

Although, there could be a serious (!) possibility to "fix" this problem for ALL acoustic grands! With this solution it could be possible to "install" a remote controllability and have a precisely programmable key stroke literally in a minute, of course without a pianist: The system-technology operates on the "Live Performance LX" reproducing system from Wayne Stahnke, which is now used in the STEINWAY SPIRIO. It's called "ARPEGGIO" the "Piano SuperDroid", the worlds first "Piano Playing Robot" from "Majestic Piano Works". It's inventor is Nick Morris: http://pianosoftware.com/arpeggio-the-piano-superdroid/

https://newsreleases.submitpressrelease123.com/2015/06/27/this-is-your-purchased-post-17920-for-24-hr-release/

Wayne Stahnke was THE mastermind of YAMAHA's Disklavier PRO technology with it's 1024 velocity levels. From 1991 to 2001 he worked for YAMAHA as a member of the Disklavier PRO design team. The ARPEGGIO system also plays with 1024 velocity levels. And it is able to playback MIDI-files with its 127 velocity levels - enough for a serious sampling-project. One should really speak with Mr. Morris about the technical specs and possibilities of his ARPEGGIO. Don't know, if he's selling an exemplar. If not, it should be at least possible to rent an ARPEGGIO for a few months for producing sample libraries from VSLs own STEINWAY D and from a rental BÖSENDORFER 280VC without (!) Disklavier Enspire PRO, if a purchase is not planned. Then VSL could choose between different "pure analogue" 280VC grands and take the "best one" for the sampling project. Cause I'm afraid that BÖSENDORFER as manufacturer will only build/equip just one 280VC with Enspire PRO if they get an purchase-order from a customer. That means "eat or die" and you have no choice to choose between let's say at least three new 280VC. In Hamburg you can choose between ten STEINWAY D, if you want. And they are all very different, (which is on the other hand a significant part of their own very great problem!)

Why not flying in a STUART & SONS 290 from Australia to the Synchron Stage in Vienna, together with Mr. Wayne Stuart, who is a genious inventor and a fabulous piano builder...? It could be THE ultimate sample library and the only one of a STUART & SONS grand!

LAJ, in your post you've written [...] "or they have some kind of C3PO ... sitting there all night long...". That reminded me of this ARPEGGIO, which is probably more a R2D2 :-)

• Great, Francis! Ha! This robot is genious! Stefan, is this the mentioned robot that was used to record the Celesta?

• Why it is placed at right ??

I could be wrong, but I believed that it was usually always at left :

• in an orchestral context, beside the celesta, in order to allow 1 player switching instruments.
    • in a solist context, before the strings at the left of the conductor

Side note : I would have prefered you complete the previous Synchron instruments with the Synchron Player before releasing a new one... I think you underestimate our frustration.

• Hello Matthieu, 

The placement of the piano can easily be adjusted by panning the close and mid microphones. 

The Synchron Pianos plug-in is based on the Synchron Player and we could optimize many factors for the upcoming Synchron Player with this adaptation.

Of course we know that you are all waiting for the upcoming Synchron Player, and we're getting really close now.

I am convinced that the positive effect will overcome the frustration. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Ok, thanks.

I think I still have a lot to learn about mics... It's not at all intuitive for me that we can mix for example a Tree mic where the piano is at right and Close and Mid mics panned at left.

• Hi Matthieu, 

I will try to cover it in a video. 

Positioning and mixing is actually really easy and intuitive with the included mixer., and you can learn a lot from the presets. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Three great things today ... 1. Great Release (bought)! 2. Very good and consequent to separate the Synchron Series from the Superpackage. 3. Great sentence of the day ... „I am convinced that the positive effect will overcome the frustration.“ 👍

• [引述=paul;269483]

Hi, 

Of course it will be a real-like playing piano, and as it looks like now, it will include half-pedaling and re-pedaling.

Best, 
    Paul

[/quote]

Can the sync string player be released in May? Is he still in June or July???

• last edited
    last edited

@matthieu.lechowski said:

Side note : I would have prefered you complete the previous Synchron instruments with the Synchron Player before releasing a new one... I think you underestimate our frustration.

Thank you for pointing it out, Matthieu!!!

Yes, it's rather frustrating, to say the least, esp. if the Synchron Player would not improve the issues people have (including myself) with the legatos...