Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,489 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,817 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Saving daw sessions when using VEPro 6

This is probaby a dumb question to you old hands but I have to ask it:

Been watching quite a few videos on VEPro and also doing some reading (manual and other online stuff) and one thing that is not covered that I can find is how to save a daw session (in my case ProTools or Digital Performer 9.02). I want to be able to save the daw session such that when I reopen it in the future everything VEPro related gets loaded on both the master computer and slave computer. Somehow I get the feeling it's more than just saving in the daw. Do I have to do some kind of saving in VEPro and if so what? I assume I'd still have to start VEPro server on the slave first (if so I'll set it up in OSX as a login item).

The otherwise excellent manual covers routing and such in PT & DP but not saving.

OSX 10.10.5 on both machines; PT11.3.2 & DP9.02 on master.

• Hi Jack, 

All settings and loaded plug-ins in VE PRO are saved with your song, including the IP address and your instance names (preserved names), that's why a static IP address and consistent instance names are important. 

Only exception: If you are working in DECOUPLE mode... see description in the VE PRO manual. 

However, it can happen that sequencer project files get corrupted, and it's never a bad idea to save the VE PRO Server projects as well, to be on the safe side. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Jack, 

All settings and loaded plug-ins in VE PRO are saved with your song, including the IP address and your instance names (preserved names), that's why a static IP address and consistent instance names are important. 

Only exception: If you are working in DECOUPLE mode... see description in the VE PRO manual. 

However, it can happen that sequencer project files get corrupted, and it's never a bad idea to save the VE PRO Server projects as well, to be on the safe side. 

Best, 
    Paul

So I don't have to save a Vienna Ensemble Project and/or a Vienna Ensemble Server Project (except for the possible corruption aspect)? I just use the save function in my daw? What I'm looking for is a simple sequence of instructions to use. Something like: I've created a session in my daw and I want to save it so that everything gets recalled when I next open it. That's the one thing that's not found anywheres on the net.

Would that sequence be (or course depending on whether in Decouple mode or not):

create session in daw

save Vienna Ensemble Project

save Vienna Ensemble Server Project

save session in daw

• I recommend saving your VE Pro templates as well as your DAW templates decoupled. While in theory, having them coupled so that VE Pro automatically gets populated for you by opening the DAW template sounds great, in practice, the DAW project has to constantly remember "look over there, find that, load that" and becomes bloated and more prone to corruption.

Instead I suggest you:

1. Open VE Pro and load your template.

2. Open your DAW and load a decoupled but "connected" template so that they automatically connect.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

I recommend saving your VE Pro templates as well as your DAW templates decoupled. While in theory, having them coupled so that VE Pro automatically gets populated for you by opening the DAW template sounds great, in practice, the DAW project has to constantly remember "look over there, find that, load that" and becomes bloated and more prone to corruption.

Instead I suggest you:

1. Open VE Pro and load your template.

2. Open your DAW and load a decoupled but "connected" template so that they automatically connect.

All well and good but I don't deal in templates as I find modifying a template takes up more time than working from scratch. I never know until I actually get started on a piece of music how I'm going to orchestrate something - it might be synths, orchestral libraries or a mixture of both.  Sometimes I'll start in one way and end up with something completely different. Also you're talking about loading while the main thing I'm trying to find out about is saving. I already have my server computer set to automatically load a VEPro 64 instance on startup.

Again all I want is a simple explicit set of steps of what to do when saving a daw session - what to do inside VEPro (if necessary) and what to do in my daw. Shouldn't be that difficult to write up. I'm surprised something like this isn't in the manual given all the other good info in there.

• Well if you don't care what is in VE Pro by default, just hitting-Command _S in any Mac DAW (Control-S in WIndows I beleiev) should save the project. 

Then you can open VE Pro and then just load youir DAW project that was saved coupled and it will populate VE Pro for you.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

Well if you don't care what is in VE Pro by default, just hitting-Command _S in any Mac DAW (Control-S in WIndows I beleiev) should save the project. 

Then you can open VE Pro and then just load youir DAW project that was saved coupled and it will populate VE Pro for you.

I like starting with an empty/clean slate. It's all this business with saving VEProjects and VEServerProjects that seems like it has to figure in there somehow. I know about saving the latter which happens outside the daw s/w because the session might get corrupted. But really how much is necessary to do in a daw save procedure so things open up okay the next time around. I just hate to waste steps if they're not necessary.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

Well if you don't care what is in VE Pro by default, just hitting-Command _S in any Mac DAW (Control-S in WIndows I beleiev) should save the project. 

I like starting with an empty/clean slate. It's all this business with saving VEProjects and VEServerProjects that seems like it has to figure in there somehow. I know about saving the latter which happens outside the daw s/w because the session might get corrupted. But really how much is necessary to do in a daw save procedure so things open up okay the next time around. I just hate to waste steps if they're not necessary.

Forgive me if I am bering dense, but you cannot have an empty server project asnd a decoupled Pro Tools session and expect there to be anything. If you are coupled in your Pro Tools project then as I said it will populate VE Pro for you and you need not save anything in VE Pro.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

Forgive me if I am bering dense, but you cannot have an empty server project asnd a decoupled Pro Tools session and expect there to be anything. If you are coupled in your Pro Tools project then as I said it will populate VE Pro for you and you need not save anything in VE Pro.

You're missing what I wrote in my last post. I want a blank server project when I start working - don't know how you missed that. Sure the thing will have vi's in it as I work and save said session - the server won't be blank then. Never said anything abvout having a blank server project when I save the PT (or DP) session.

• When you open VE Prfo first, you HAVE a  blank server project. When you open your DAW project if it has VE Pro instances that are decoupled and not connected, they don't connect to anything until you connect it.

I am sorry I am just not clear what you are trying to accomplish that does not happen pretty much by default.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

When you open VE Prfo first, you HAVE a  blank server project. When you open your DAW project if it has VE Pro instances that are decoupled and not connected, they don't connect to anything until you connect it.

I am sorry I am just not clear what you are trying to accomplish that does not happen pretty much by default.

I get what you're saying. What you're NOT getting is the question I repeatedly ask: what all needs to be done when saving a project in one's daw of choice? I read about saving VEpro instances and saving VEPro server instances but is that necessary when saving inside a daw? I know I read somewheres about saving the VEPro server project in case the daw session gets corrupted but again - is that necessary? If you can't answer that then there's no further need for you to reply here.

• Hi musicman691, 

Like Jay said: Simply save your song, whatever DAW you are using. VE PRO will remember everything you have loaded. 

This should also be VERY easy to test with a simple project, if you are still unsure how it works. 

Best, 

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi musicman691, 

Like Jay said: Simply save your song, whatever DAW you are using. VE PRO will remember everything you have loaded. 

This should also be VERY easy to test with a simple project, if you are still unsure how it works. 

Best, 

Paul

Understood and I understand the thing about saving the VEP server project separate from the daw session in case the daw session gets corrupted and understand that's an optional thing. A simple notation section in the manual of how and what to save when working with a daw session and saving said daw session would be a good thing. Like I said the manual covers a lot of things but not this basic step.

Normally I can pick up on concepts easily but VEPro 6 with the various save options wasn't one of those.

Thanks for the help.

• Hi, 

We have not had this question yet, but I'll see how we can improve the manual with a next version!

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

We have not had this question yet, but I'll see how we can improve the manual with a next version!

Best, 
    Paul

Much appreciated. Nice to be on a forum where someone from the developer actually takes an active part in discussions and helping to solve issues.