Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,709 users have contributed to 42,408 threads and 255,578 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A firm and yet a warm sound, powerful, but can also be very soft. And I played a little bit with the volume of the different microphones and I got the impression, that this is a ideal way of layering, just bringing the microphones in a certain balance. More direct, or just more layed backwards. And this are just the first violins and violoncello's. VSL, more over I'm sure I made the right decision a few years ago to work with your stuff. I put also an oboe in (of course with MIR Synchron Stage) to listen, how it works together with the Synchron Strings, and... it's a beauty, really. And now I have some other work to do, candy box closed πŸ˜Š... 

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi everybody!

Synchron Cellos Standard are available!! β­β­β­

And did I mention our fantastic IT Team?  πŸ’»πŸΈπŸŒ΄

Best, 
    Paul

Just downloaded both to an older HDD. 🀒   Off to the computer store to buy a new SSD for these big baddies!!!

Nice job finishing up for the holidays, I'm off for the next couple of weeks so I'll have plenty of time for playing with them.  

Already wrote a draft ruleset for Notion, and it's working well, except for those load times...  πŸ˜‰

• Something funky going on in the cello's G3 (and therefore F# as these are clearly only sampled per tone) at high velocity on the longs. Sounds like a dogyd or loud re-bow?

In fact generally the cello's in that middle register sounds a bit "noisy" . No sure if it is just the bow sounds or not but it sounds quite excessive.

• For all of you who do not have the Synchron Violins 1 until now:

Yes, there are not so much different articulations between short and long sustain and also not with the dims and cresc as far I have seen as well. But there are a lot of new articulations (specially leg) and they also are all coming in "full dynamic range", med dynamic r..."

Now I can understand what it means that we "can use" the current VI-Player. Now I suspect that the NEW PLAYER will solve all our "problems" and questions. Could be that if we press the keys for a longer time it will select automatically sustain or dΓ©tachΓ©e by stopping a note after a shorter time. We probably also will be able easy to blend between all these different dynamic- range-libraries: lot or less dynamic (mild - aggressive?).

So all our hard work until now will be history. I totally believe in VSL that with the new player all will turn into "the paradise on earth" together with the new Libraries.

The only we have to do is still waiting a bit longer on the new Player and of course of Viol2 Viola and Bass...

Thanks VSL for working so hard for us!

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Now I started to be excited how synchron player works and to its effect that changes whole things.

I placed an order Synchron Strings I Full Library with early bird price a month ago,

so I also expect 'High Stereo / Surround'. I'm sure that provides me with the best result and satisfaction.

• last edited
    last edited

@Eptesicus said:

Something funky going on in the cello's G3 (and therefore F# as these are clearly only sampled per tone) at high velocity on the longs. Sounds like a dogyd or loud re-bow?

Yeah, I heard that too and my first though was bad loop, but it may as well be noisy re-bow... Doesn't sound fun though. In general those low cellos seem to be noisy

... and it means I bought them. Actually I was unconvinced until Paul cello video. And I'm not going to lie - for now I only like them. Why no love?

CONS: holy f**k, 60 gigs per section!? I expected big library, but this is waaay too big. I think that reasonable thing to do would be per mic download, so that I could download only down-mixed samples for example. Or maybe option 16 vs 24 bit (I assume that it is the latter now).

The second thing - I don't hear that biggnes. I mean, I'm not sure why it is so huge. Yes, I know, lots of layers, mics etc. but still it seems to be a bit too big. What is hidden there? Synchron player is going to show us those treasures? Or it's big, because? Violins short, 9 layers, 49 sampled notes, 10 variations = 4400 samples. VI states 5832. Releases? Ok, I'm done with that hate, time for good πŸ˜‰

PROS: With SSD and default preload at 1536 RAM is not a problem at all (one mic less than 500megs?). The playability is magic. You can clearly feel those 8 - 9 layers. Fluent change without crossfades - YES!

Lyrical vibrato = ❀️.

Harsh shorts πŸŒ©οΈ 

Overall sound signature - wet, but clean and detailed, can be lush, can be harsh

And now I'm waiting for the rest of sections and synchron player. Although my SSD is crying, I hear him sobbing...

• last edited
    last edited

2nd Violins are here !!! πŸΈπŸŽ

• Basses are available now.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Thank you for telling!

• I am deeply impressed by the sound ... WOW! Especially Flautando and Long Fast Attack ... perfect!

But already two ideas / suggestions:

1) Would it be possible to get stereo downmixes already as a own microphone position? This would already save memory for 50% . I am looking for an easy to handle "out of the box sound" but with Room-Mix I already load everything twice.

2) The samples with reduced velocities are good for saving memory, but not very easy to handle. Would it be an option for the synchron player to select which velocity layers should be loaded? Similar to the Repetition unselection tool?

What a great christmas present!

Gabriel

• Love everything so far.

One thing I can't quite work out though... The Ringing/Stopped articulations. I cannot for the life of me hear a difference. Is there a difference or are they to come in a later update?

I'm guessing it's supposed to be open strings vs stopped strings, but I can't hear any change at all.

Anyone else have any ideas.

Mark

• Violas have appeared now :-)

• last edited
    last edited

Violas are there!!!

Ok, that's twice πŸ˜Š

• All standard libraries has been released.

Okay, let us wait for Full library releasing !

• I seem to be missing an octave in the "Strings" library...actually C4-B4...anyone else have this issue?

• I don't see any "strings" library in the Synchron Strings, just the sections.

• last edited
    last edited

@MMKA said:

I don't see any "strings" library in the Synchron Strings, just the sections.

In the library downloads, I have Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, Cello, Bass, and Strings.  The STRINGS download; however, is only 14MB, so either it is incomplete, referencing the other libraries (that I haven't completely downloaded yet), or some other mysterious voodoo that I'm unaware of...and yes, It says Synchron Strings I (Strings) - Stereo Library Download.

• Valkyria wrote:

"All standard libraries has been released.

Okay, let us wait for Full library releasing !"

But first we get the performance articulations of violins 2, violas and basses, that will happen begin 2018 (see Vienna Newsletter 285).

• last edited
    last edited

@MMKA said:

I don't see any "strings" library in the Synchron Strings, just the sections.

In the library downloads, I have Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, Cello, Bass, and Strings.  The STRINGS download; however, is only 14MB, so either it is incomplete, referencing the other libraries (that I haven't completely downloaded yet), or some other mysterious voodoo that I'm unaware of...and yes, It says Synchron Strings I (Strings) - Stereo Library Download.

OK, I didn't notice that download (but now I do). So I will do that tomorrow. First get some sleep.

• So it turns out that I was missing the middle C octave in the "Strings" library because I hadn't installed the viola library yet.  I guess it referenced the other libraries, which makes a lot of sense.