Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,362 users have contributed to 42,221 threads and 254,768 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 58 new user(s).

• Oki doke, thanks for the info, and for the lightening quick reply!

cheers,

Chris

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Chris, 

Improving VE PRO as an external FX-Rack is still on our plate, but not with a high priority, I have to say. 

Best, 
    Paul

I think this is really short sighted, and a huge missed opprtunity and revenue stream. The market is hungry for this kind of software solution.

Do you guys not realize how easily you could have a standalone product that would basically lead the charge for offloading plugins to a local host or multiple slave machines that the user wants to turn into a DSP server? 

Why not split it out and make it a whole new product? You have the technology 90% of the way there already. IF you split it into a new product, you could recode the hurdles in VEP that are holding you back. 

You could make products like Waves SoundGrid DSP Servers a thing of the past, or at least offer another viable option. 

PLEASE! Think about this again!

• Yep! 

This would be one of my primary uses for VEP...finding this topic whilst trying to work it out has been very disappointing for me, and now I'm not sure if i'll buy VEPro this month...

one thing at least, it's useful for reverbs as is, my main concern being the very heavy but truly excellent waves h reverb and abbey road plates.

But, even insert plugins like waves butch vig vocals have ridiculous cpu usage and i'd love to use VEP as a dedicated fx processor.

Please reconsider

Sincerely, T.

• Using Vepro as an FX rack is waited by many users ! Logic and all Daws would work smoothly ! Mac users could buy cheaper slave PC to run all kind of plugins...please make it happen !

• I thought you can use VST plugins from the slave to the host already?

• This is exactly why I bought VE pro  so I can use my MBP with a second one running reverbs so I can finnish mixes while working on the road. All the marketing sugested  this was alredy a feature.

• I asked the very same question and was wondering if a faster ethernet connection Woodworks a like 5 gig or 10 gig ethernet will be able to use a slave computer to do insert processing and hook up external gear as well as plugins on a slave computer that would be fantastic

• +1 for using VEP as a virtual effects rack. It is working in DP 8.7 but it is very clumsy to offset the latency. The Waves Soundgrid system may be stealing your potential customers...

• Using Logic Pro X, I am able to workaround this to run my masterbus series plugin chain via VEP6 (Virtual console modelling plug, bus compressor, EQ and a couple of styles of limiter- all in high quality mode). As this chain of plugins usually operate in series, on a single bus, Logiic Pro X isn’t able to separate this out as several tasks for multithreaded processing, so I’m often in a situation where I’m topping out a single processor, whilst the other 7 operate at around 10% . By sending my entire mix and the output of any auxiliary tracks or VI outputs to an auxilary bus in Logic, I can then use the Vienna Ensemble input plugin to send it back to VE Pro 6, to run my masterbus effects chain which seems to be much more efficient on processor load. To get the sound back into Logic, I then need to set up another Instrument track which I route to my output 1&2 channels. The routing is very messy and in this instance could be improved by creating a single ‘insert point’ plug, which simply allows you to choose where you want the audio to go, and where you want the audio to come back from. As I’m only using this for mixing, added latency or latency reporting isn’t too much of an issue as every element of my mix is going the same way, (so no timing issues), but I can see the engineering challenge if people wanted to use VEP6 as a host for several independent FX racks or want to use it live. I think it’s worth persevering with as the benefits of having this functionality are HUGE. Is this still planned in development? Until then, I would be happy with the ‘insert point’ routing plugin... if you wanted to provide some less convoluted routing options in the iterim!

• Just wanted to add a +1 to this feature request/new product. I’d buy it instantly and I think any company who can bring this to market in a slick way will clean up.

• Believe me! It should be! 

• I've been using VEP6 as the dedicated FX rack via LAN network in the mixdown phase and it works great.  When tracking and during session work I use FX placed directly on tracks themselves.  The VEP becomes my FX rack after I'm ready to mix, at which point I find the latency amount and use delay compensation to line everything back up. 

Being that sometimes DAW's can introduce latency internally I'm not sure how they would compensate that in realtime here but if you're satisfied routing instruments to and from the network VEP server app I don't think you'll have much of an issue on the FX side. 

• It looks like Logic users believe the way VE Pro returns to Logic is how it is for all.
    It isn't. I've been using VE Pro in the Audio Input mode for years. It's not convoluted in Cubendo.

With an instance up and running, you establish an FX instance and you send the audio - or the Instrument Channel from VE Pro or anything which is de facto an audio channel - and it comes back like VE Pro comes back; in a new Instrument Channel or channels as determined in the VST Rack. It's not convoluted per se. I don't think VSL can make Logic not be Logic here. Maybe AU3 will be meaningful here, I don't know. I don't use Logic today and this is one reason why.

• I find that VE Po 6 works well for instruments and fx from a remote pc using Studio One 4. As I have read here, using compressors, de-esser, etc., inserted into tracks seems to be an issue. Has there been any progress in this area? Most of these post are over a year old. Inserting processing into a channel was one of the reasons I purchased VE Pro 6. Also, does anyone use Studio One 4 with the VEPro? If so, can you share any templates in the setup you use with VE Pro? Thanks

• This is also a main reason why I purchased VEPro, and I can't help but think that if there were an additional VEPro VST wrapper just like the existing one, but that can be used as an insert rather than as an instrument, that would solve it. Is that even possible?

I realize this thread is quite old, but would be great to hear if something like this is still under consideration. Thanks!

• Latency isn't so much the issue, it's compensated for, but if you do very much of this the round-trip of it all tends to be more taxing than the primary use of VE Pro. If all you have in the project is audio it's not that bad, if you're doing MIDI to instruments host in VEP you can run into management of resources.

• Hi everyone, first post here and happy to be a part of this community!
    I have been reading a lot, taking notes and testing the keyless demo (brillant move by the way!), and I'm figuring out how to use VEP 7 as an FX Rack - as inserts. 
    I know VEP is for composers and virtual instruments but I feel this is the absolute perfect program for my needs if I can use a slave or multiple slaves to process my heavy FX's (like Acustica Audio's Acquas and Nebula, etc), reverbs and of course VSTi's !
    I feel that I'm not alone in this situation and was wondering if anything is planned to have a simple plugin as an insert for VEP ? The send and return method is very cumbersome for dynamics, emulation, eq's etc ! Well yes, it was not meant to bu used that way...
    Well if anything is planned this could a huge game changer for many people that are in my situation! 
    Any thoughts? 
    Cheers, 
    Steven

• I'm strongly waiting this also to be able to deport those heavy Acutstica great sounding but CPU killer plugins.

The insert trick will not work in Cubase due to de VSTi nature of the VEP plugin witch can't be inserted in an audio track. So bound to return to instument tracks :-(

Adding a VST (fx) dll, vst3 (fx) or AU (fx)... for VEP return would be the solution. With the capacity of returning any choosen (pair of) ouput track(s) of the selected instance (FX or Instrument why not?). This seems no so hard to implement, it's the reverse path of the VEP audio plugin.

Maybe we could have to choose between two kinds of instances, Intrument or FX but this not seems necessary with the idea above of the "universal" returning plugin witch would allow very flexible routing capabilities, even for instruments.

@Paul?

Also, speaking of Acustica, VEP7 is rejecting all my Acqua plugins at scan (vst2).

The only solution is encapsulating them into N4 witch is acceped by VEP.

• Hi igbro, 

Many things seem easy to do because they are "easy to think", but unfortunately that's not always the case. 

An improved FX Rack functionality of VE Pro 7 is high on our list, I also hope that we will see it soon. 

If you send us more information about the Aqua incompatibility (versions, used OS), we will look into it: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks Paul, good to ear it's in your prioriites!

Yes, not so simple in fact, I gess...

For the Acqua/Acustica thing, I'm going to dig further because, in my slave (2x Xeon), Reaper is rejecting them too. They are working in my DAW machine (i7) with Cubase and Reaper (same W7x64 OS).

So maybe no a VEP problem.

Can't try to scan them with VEP in my DAW because I only have one license and this will mean two physical dongles plugged in the same machine (CUBASE&VEP)

I had installed Reaper to try the REAMOTE thing (deporting FX computing over LAN) because of the lack of success in VEP with Acustuca's (Only an old N4 version is accepted at scan and very slugish when Acquas's are encapsulated, not usable)

Have a nice day.