Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,412 users have contributed to 42,226 threads and 254,785 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

[...]

1st Violins Appassionata - 2nd Violins Orchestral

1st Violins Orchestral - 2nd Violins Chamber

1st Violins Chamber - 2nd Violin - Solo (common in a theater orchestra)

1st Violins 4 D Vns - 2nd Violins 4 D Vns

All of those involve no transposition.[...]

👍

... one of my personal favorite setups, for huge, vivid sting sections: 

1st: Appassionata + a bit of Chamber for finer articulations + 1st half of Dimension

2nd: Orchestra + 2nd half of Dimension

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I'm going to have to try that!   One combination I love is Appassionata with a small amount of solo violin and 4 D violins.  Right now I am having fun trying out new combinations which the D strings have increased exponentially.

• last edited
    last edited

This is getting to be like Martha Stewart Living but since we're swaping strings recipes it's more like Dietz Tinhof Living (with Samples)

Here's one I'm going to try on my next project:

Basically a German seating, or traditional, but replace the 1st and 2nd violins section with a 1st and 2nd violas then just one violin section to be placed where the violas usually sit.  The celli and bassi remain the same.

I don't have AS or Dim Strings so 1st viola would be OS VA layered with CS VA, while 2nd violas would be CS VA with just a pinch of Solo VA..

The only violin section would be OS VI with CS VI a pinch of Solo VI and just a dash of OS VI mutes.

I think this will give your ears a rich and darker flavor overall for strings which is the string sound that I am particularly attracted to. 

And yes Mike I am in my "right mind."  The voices I hear in my head have assured of that🤫

Now... does anybody have any brass or woodwind recipes they'd like to share?

• last edited
    last edited

Such an automatic transposition trick feature would indeed be most welcome 😊. But why only include a “button” for a second version and not go all the way, implementing a “menu” that lets one pick from one of three or even five different versions (0, ±1/2, ±1).

Ideally they would come with their own MIRx settings making them even more distinct. This works already really well for the two distinct MIRx settings that are available for the woodwinds.

• That's a good idea, to have as many additional instruments as practical.  I think if you go beyond two in either direction it starts getting to be a little too much pitch shifting.  Though I actually like the timbral effect of shifting down two semi-tones which creates a slower vibrato and slightly darker tone.

• I want to emphasize Kai's point in that a "transposition trick" feature should let you choose the amount and "direction" of the transposition manually.

[DAW/VE] sounding pitch MIDI --in--> [VI] MIDI transposition and pitch shift according to selection --out--> [DAW/VE] sounding pitch AUDIO out! :D