Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• uneven playback :-(

Hi,

I've had this problem a couple of times, and I don't know what is causing it.  

Here are 2 mps files demonstrating the problem:

1) a short passage played with a VSL piccolo patch inside VE Pro, with no other instruments loaded (running inside Digital Performer)   http://alanbelkinmusic.com/VSLpicc.mp3

2) same passage, same sequence, piccolo patch from another library (running in Konkakt, inside Digital Performer)    http://alanbelkinmusic.com/Berlinpicc.mp3 

Notice how uneven the eighth notes are in in the VSL version? This is a single track sequence running in DP, running only VSL or the other library. I have tried it with other sounds than piccolo in VSL, same problem. The file is 100% quantised. 

My computer is a PC with 6 cores and 12 threads, and 64G of RAM, so it is not a problem of sheer power. I have run much bigger files than this with no problem. But this unnevennes has happened in other sequences from time to time.

Why? How can I fix it?

I'd appreciate any help.

Alan Belkin

• Hi Alan,

Check those settings:

Advanced View/Dly (delay) and Hmz (humanize) faders.

If those are not at 0, that maybe the problem.

Or maybe...

Another thing i see is if you use the perf stac patches, sometimes the timing is not even. specialy with the older libraries. That's because the where record as repetition phrases and not as individual staccatos.

Fred

• Also try moving up the start offset scaler until the passage stops being sloppy.

• Thanks for these ideas, Fred, but none of them apply here. :-( Anybody else? Paul?

• Hi, 

Which patch is that? Would you like to send the DP file to support@vsl.co.at for this short passage?

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I just sent the file in to support. 

Thanks, Paul!  :-)

• Are you using the MAS version of the VEPro plugin?

• last edited
    last edited

No. Why?

@MS said:

Are you using the MAS version of the VEPro plugin?

• IIRC, there is an issue with how MOTU has implemented the AU Wrapper, which leads to unstable timing. I came across this during the development of the MAS version of VEP.

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks, but alas, I am not using the MAS version. (I wish I were, so I would know what is going wrong!)

@MS said:

IIRC, there is an issue with how MOTU has implemented the AU Wrapper, which leads to unstable timing. I came across this during the development of the MAS version of VEP.

• last edited
    last edited

@belkina said:

Thanks, but alas, I am not using the MAS version. (I wish I were, so I would know what is going wrong!)

How about you give it a try?

I also recall testing timing with Kontakt hosted as an AU in DP, the timing was also off there. With the MAS version of VEPro, the timing is sample-accurate.

• last edited
    last edited

I'll save the VE PRo instance and then reload it into a new MAS one. It can't hurt to try!

@belkina said:

How about you give it a try?

I also recall testing timing with Kontakt hosted as an AU in DP, the timing was also off there. With the MAS version of VEPro, the timing is sample-accurate.

• I tried the MAS version and it's much better. Vielen Dank!

• Btw, I'm not on a Mac, but on Windows 7. So the " audio units wrapper" is not relevant. But in any case the MAS version of VE Pro is doing a much better job so far ....y