Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,952 users have contributed to 42,268 threads and 254,960 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 7 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

I believe the Low setting in ASIO GUARD 2 sets everything to a 256 BUFFER.  So that is probably why the problem is not there on the low setting for you as you are already at a 256 BUFFER.  I use a 128 buffer and the problem is there at the LOW setting as well.

-D

@noiseboyuk said:

Note 3 - these results on my system at a buffer of 256. Specifics will vary depending on your soundcard and buffers, processor, platform etc.

• last edited
    last edited

@dlpmusic said:

VE PRO VST2 does not support ASIO-Guard 2 you have to disable ASIO GUARD, also VSL has to implement a VST-3 interface that supports ASIO- Guard. 

They have been informed about this. 
    The latest VST SDK available for download is 3.6.0, built 22 nov 2013. There is no way to inform the host of ASIO Guard support within this SDK, beyond setting the instrument as an external instrument - which also disables offline bounce. Last I heard, you planned to release such an update last month. If you have any updated information, I would love to take part of it.

Thanks,

• I will post this in the Steinberg forum.

• From various posts by Steinberg and VSL employees on various forums and support posts, here's the situation as I best understand it.

There was an issue internal to Cubase which has been fixed. However this won't do anything until VSL update VE Pro, which they cannot yet do. The VST2 version is incompatible with ASIOguard. The VST3 version VSL cannot update until Steinberg updates the SDK, which has no time frame to be done. So until that unknown time, users are unable to use VE Pro with Cubase 8 without severe side effects.   Its probably best to disable ASIOguard from VE Pro in the plugin manager until this whole issue is resolved.  Unfortunatly it looks like this whole issue won't be fixed any time soon.

• last edited
    last edited

This sums it up as far as I can tell.  I am so anxious for this to resolve an Vienna to get this implemented.

@noiseboyuk said:

From various posts by Steinberg and VSL employees on various forums and support posts, here's the situation as I best understand it.

There was an issue internal to Cubase which has been fixed. However this won't do anything until VSL update VE Pro, which they cannot yet do. The VST2 version is incompatible with ASIOguard. The VST3 version VSL cannot update until Steinberg updates the SDK, which has no time frame to be done. So until that unknown time, users are unable to use VE Pro with Cubase 8 without severe side effects.   Its probably best to disable ASIOguard from VE Pro in the plugin manager until this whole issue is resolved.  Unfortunatly it looks like this whole issue won't be fixed any time soon.

• This post has been interesting reading. I had never used Ensemble before in previous versions, so v5 is my first experience. I have pretty much been unable to use this (running slave on same machine as DAW, not had opportunity to try via networking but suspect the results will be the same or worse). I found similar advice re disabling asio-guard in plugin manager on the steinberg forum, this hasn't stopped VSL from corrupting any project it's inserted into along with causing other mysterious issues (although I'm still to 100% confirm it's VSL doing it, the first project I've made deliberately not using VSL seems to have solved this issue also). Really hope Vienna & Steinberg can sort this out between them, as it's looking like going back to having to open a new project for anything involving kontakt libraries.

As it seems the answer to when it'll be fixed is "when the new SDK is released ie we do not know", where would be a good place to lurk occasionally to receive updates on this issue? It's disappointing that to use the program I bought to solve my RAM-problem, I have to turn off a feature that then gives me a huge CPU problem :)

• last edited
    last edited

@dlpmusic said:

VE PRO VST2 does not support ASIO-Guard 2 you have to disable ASIO GUARD, also VSL has to implement a VST-3 interface that supports ASIO- Guard. 

The latest VST SDK available for download is 3.6.0, built 22 nov 2013. There is no way to inform the host of ASIO Guard support within this SDK, beyond setting the instrument as an external instrument - which also disables offline bounce. Last I heard, you planned to release such an update last month. If you have any updated information, I would love to take part of it.

Thanks,

I thought I'd bump this thread since I'm sure many are eager for this fix -- looks like Steinberg has version 3.6.5 up from a few days ago. I couldn't find anything on this topic in the documentation with a quick look, but hopefully it's buried there somewhere. Any news on the issue?

• last edited
    last edited

This sounds like good news that a new SDK is posted.  Can we get a response from Vienna?   Do you now have the information to fix VE PRO 5 to behave correctly with ASIO GUARD 2?

@dlpmusic said:

Thanks,

I thought I'd bump this thread since I'm sure many are eager for this fix -- looks like Steinberg has version 3.6.5 up from a few days ago. I couldn't find anything on this topic in the documentation with a quick look, but hopefully it's buried there somewhere. Any news on the issue?

• It's looking hopeful.  Fabio Bartolini from Steinberg posted this today:

"The new extended VST SDK (v3.6.5) has been released a few days ago. The new version supports the scenario described above by Mr. Seleteg.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html"

Would be great if you can let us know if this is indeed what you've been waiting for, Vienna.

• last edited
    last edited

Can we get a reply from Vienna on the status?  It would be great to get a comfirmation that you have what you need to fix the ASIO GUARD 2 problem so we can stop making requests to Steinberg.

@noiseboyuk said:

It's looking hopeful.  Fabio Bartolini from Steinberg posted this today:

"The new extended VST SDK (v3.6.5) has been released a few days ago. The new version supports the scenario described above by Mr. Seleteg.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html"

Would be great if you can let us know if this is indeed what you've been waiting for, Vienna.

• Hi everybody, 

I have informed our development team about this, hope they can get back to you soon. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Please keep us posted Paul.

Many of us have not chimed in on this issue, but it's a huge deal for anybody usiing Cubase 8 and (in my case) Nuendo 7.   Here's hoping the new SDK allows you to resolve the issue.

Jules

• Seems like enough time has passed. It would be great to get some sort of comment back from Vienna when we will see this fix implemented.

• Martin or Paul....any word on this yet?

• Hi, 

I talked to Martin, here is his answer: Prefetchable support disabling will be available in the upcoming new version of VE Pro. 

So Asio Guard will be disabled programmatically in the VST3 plug-in, every other change would introduce a dramatic raise in latency. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks for the post Paul.

However, I'm not entirely clear on what this means and would be very grateful if you or Martin could clarify.  This is my current understanding:

Selective disabling of ASIO Guard on a per-plugin basis (e.g. just for VE Pro) is already available in Cubase 8 and Nuendo 7.  I have tested this (and tried to work with it) in Nuendo 7, and sure enough it does stop the issue whereby audio drops out every time a different track is selected.  HOWEVER, it means that CPU usage jumps dramatically, to the point where templates which run comfortable under previous versions of Cubase and Nuendo no longer run at all in Cubase 8 and Nuendo 7. 

In short, the efficiencies which ASIO Guard brings to Cubase 8 and Nuendo 7 are basically essential in order to keep large templates running at all.   If ASIO Guard is disabled for VE Pro, the loss of CPU efficiency renders many large templates unusable, and massively handicaps the usefulness of VE Pro.

My understanding of the situtation was that VSL needed to implement a VST-3 interface which supports ASIO Guard.  Your statement below appears to suggest that a new version of VE Pro will simply disable ASIO Guard support within the plugin, which leaves us in the same situation we're currently in.

Hopefully I have misunderstood.

Jules

• last edited
    last edited

It would be great if you can clarify what this means.

Hopefully.....does this mean we can change tracks in Cubase without the 2 second hang/pause in the audio?

@Paul said:

Hi, 

I talked to Martin, here is his answer: Prefetchable support disabling will be available in the upcoming new version of VE Pro. 

So Asio Guard will be disabled programmatically in the VST3 plug-in, every other change would introduce a dramatic raise in latency. 

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@dlpmusic said:

It would be great if you can clarify what this means.

Hopefully.....does this mean we can change tracks in Cubase without the 2 second hang/pause in the audio?

You can already do this in Cubase - you just need to disable ASIO Guard for VE Pro.

The problem is, the loss of ASIO Guard means VE Pro uses signficantly more CPU resources than it would otherwise, leading to CPU overloads etc.   Which is why we've been waiting for VSL to implement a VST3 interface which correctly supports ASIO Guard 2, so that we can re-enable ASIO Guard for VE Pro, not suffer the CPU issues of having it disabled, and also not suffer the audio dropout problems.

Whether this is what VSL are looking to achive remains somewhat unclear (in fact rather unlikely) from my interpretation of Paul's post.

• You misunderstood me.  Currently you can use ASIO GUARD 2 with VE PRO 5 but with the annoying audio muting.  If the prefech means we can still use it as is but the audio muting goes away I would assume it would still give us the CPU gain benefits that you can clearly see right now if you put up with the 2 second audio pause.  For me there is also additional problems that occur with VE PRO 5 in regards to having ASIO GUARD 2 on.  I have a very large template that takes Cubase about 10 seconds or so to start an export.  If I enable ASIO GUARD 2 with VE PRO 5 my exports take more then 1 1/2 minutes to begin exporting and a 1 1/2 minute delay for Cubase to become responsive after the export.

Disabling the plugin VE PRO 5 from using ASIO GUARD 2 within Cubase is a waste of time for me as there are almost no benefits acroos my system.  Turning it all on produces incredibly low CPU on the VE PRO machines.....that is what we all want.

So......if we still can get the benefit of the low CPU and no audio muting that might be good enough.

• last edited
    last edited

@dlpmusic said:

So......if we still can get the benefit of the low CPU and no audio muting that might be good enough.

I didn't really get that out of it, seems like there's no other way except to disable ASIO Guard for VE Pro.

I really dislike that idea, because with Cubase 8 the performance with all VSTis including VE Pro hosted ones has gone down, and only with ASIO Guard enabled does the whole thing make any sense. So there needs to still be a way to manually enable it for heavy sessions, even if VE Pro will default to disabled.