Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug: [url]http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=408856&p=5718204#p5718204[/url]

• [quote=BachRules]And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug:

Seriously or is it a joke? EWQL has really banned you from their forums? I've always thought they were pretty bad but... that is really... really bad sign for a "BIG" company... [^o)]

• last edited
    last edited

@ricardojvc6 said:

[quote=BachRules]And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug:

Seriously or is it a joke? EWQL has really banned you from their forums? I've always thought they were pretty bad but... that is really... really bad sign for a "BIG" company...

Do not dream, as soon you say things that are not good for there sales you get banned, and this on every forum of every company

[;)]

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Most commercial forums do ban members who are particularly vocal.  It's their way of filtering out people who have some unreasonable grudge against them or people who spread misinformation about them, etc.  EWQL's forum is sort of the worst example possible though.  They deleted comments that I've posted before despite the fact that my tone was very pleasant and I wasn't even saying anything bad about a product, just asking a question.  VSL on the other hand...the mere fact that this thread is still open despite so much discussion about a competitor sort of shows the great attitude the VSL team has, because many other forums don't allow this.

• It's normal that VSL does not close this discussion. QLSO is so bad !

I was one of first user of QLSO in France, We had to wait one year to be able to use it. Doug Rogers hate me because I was reporting all the bugs I found on the forum.

I left QLSO's machine gun staccato, to the beautifull staccato of VSL. Same for legato, up and down bow ......

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • ahem guys, as you know VSl is closing threads and removing posts on very rare occasions ...

but also please consider this is a VSL user forum and though discussing the pros and cons of this or that library are welcome, the thread should not turn into bashing a competitor's product or service please.

otherwise it might be closed ;-)

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Nice to read this words... before I buy VSL I wanted to buy EWQO... I was attracted by their big-sound and their incredible deals (75% off!) but in hindsight I prefer quality over quantity (although I was still hesitant).. well... to read these things... I can not be more pleased with my choice!

• to cm:

Thanks for your very tolerant post.

I'd prefer to turn this thread into praise for the VSL team, who constantly post helpful answers, at any time of the day or night even.

For me, VSL's support of customers has been spectacular. When there are bug reports, feedback and feature suggestions, all are dealt with swiftly, usually with a speedy response and often a speedy update.

Great products, great people....

• last edited
    last edited

@BachRules said:

And now EastWest has banned me from their forum for admitting one of their products has a show-stopping bug

At least you didn't get shot in the neck with a tranquilizer dart[|-)]

Ouch! that still hurts!!![:P]

• I looked at that thread and it seems like BachRules kept mouthing off after being banned.  I was impressed.

• I can't imagine using EW's symphonic samples unless you want someone else controlling your thoughts. I mean, it's big, huge, epic, massive, and larger than God. Always. And their support is right up there with your mother-in-law telling you what underwear your wife likes... However EWQLSC is awesome, simply because no one else does that.

• [quote=musos]

I have had a similar experience with the East West Choral product - Symphonic Choirs- and had to stop using it because they would not keep up with Steinberg-for Cubase 4.0- on bug fixes and updates. I was upset because there was so much promise to the software with being able to shape actual words into the mix. I loved the oohs and ahhs and other simple sounds because I found them very exhilerating. 

VSL support is vastly superior (not that there are not issues) and I always receive courteous and prompt replies. I have seen vitrolic complaints on this web site about VSL support (not from me, mind you) and many a person who said ugly things is still hanging about.

The cost of a beginning package from VSL- Special Edition Vol I and SE Vol 1 plus is $830. A comprable amount spent at EW would give you maybe what looks like more but . . . . then there is the crappy customer service which negates that. I'm not sure their orchestral sounds are equal to VSL.

Glad I took the time to go over to EW website as they now say that Steinburg has fixed the problems with Play. [H]

Cheers, Ray from Southfield, Michgan

• My experience with VSL compared to anyone else, not just EW, is that the products themselves are of unrivaled stability upon release.  Tech support must have a lighter load by comparison.  Sure there might be some flaws as with any software but I see them so rarely, they must mostly get ironed out before release.  VSL is fantastic!  Nobody else has released such a huge quantity of consistent libraries, I'm sure they've found some kind of groove in their process by now.

• Here is my take, for what it is worth.

I've been using EWQL for a long time, and I have never been tweeking the sound, which was excellent to begin with, out of the box.

I've been switching to VSL mainly because it offers a much larger amount of detail and realism.  I must confess that I'm still working hard to find with VSL the sound that I'm after.

I can't go back to EWQL because, short of the magnificent sound, the samples look like kid toys against the VSL ones, not enough detail, not enough control, and, agreed with others, no stability, no service, etc.

Yet I still use some EWQL samples to complement the VSL ones (for example, the FF staccato bass, adorable in EWQLSO), but after years of happiness using the VI interface, it feels like pain to return to Play.

That being said, again, I'm still struggling to find a way to make VSL sound sweet warm and cosy.  Solo strings are really ok to my ears, Orchestral strings a little less, and as to dimension strings, while I adore the sound (out of the box) of bass, cellos and altos, violins do cause me trouble certainly in conjunction with MIR which makes the trouble even worse : harshness and coldness.  No eqing seems to get me where I want.  My best take uptil now is to lower the wet/dry control in MIR to -70, and to replace the tail by an algorithmic reverb chosen for its warmth.  But then, the authenticity of the MIR space is lost. 

I would really like to understand why I can't reach the quality of the best demos of dimension strings.

Best regards.

Stephane.

• I tested EW Symphonic Orcehstra Free. I liked sounds for some uses (mostly brass and percussion sounds,first one has something what i cannot define good way but percussion is more bright) but plsyer is very unstable,same goes for kontakt but even it still much more stable luckily vsl player software is crashed to me only 2 times if scale using times i bet PLAY number is 20 times at least. I thinked one time i upgrade it if goes working better (some people which buyed something form them gives little hope...) last time before removing stuff goed level loads sound sound and hangs whole daw! (Logic Pro 9.1.8). says something me avoid even listening EW stuff makes me really angry. And always says i dont have much memory even i think i upgraded 8gigabytes of ram and i download single sounds i talk this older play version which at least doed something... ps. i longtime liked EW sounds or some uses. I not liked them always but found places where their stuff sounds nice based music what i heaared. i dont always liked VSL stuff but now i like more i found more suitable "classical uses". Now i must think what i want add to vsl for someuses something directly more cinematic expect i found solution few things like French Horns which has something what i dont fully like...

• EWQL products have a great timbre, such as the lush Hollywood strings, but Play is horrible. There's very little possibility to shape the instruments, so in practice I don't find them very useful -although they can be great fun to play with.

VSL libraries provide huge flexibility, and they don't come with heavily programmed ready-made "epicness", and it takes a little work to get the best out of them. When I first got Dimension Strings I thought I'd made a terrible mistake, until I realised that hammering out violin lines on a keyboard, without any regard for the way the original instrument was played, is the same as trying to reproduce bad violin playing.

EWQL can make you feel like a passenger, whereas VSL puts you in front of the steering wheel -and sometimes you can run yourself into a wall.

Another thing in VSL's favour is Vienna Instruments -it just works.