Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,048 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,975 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• As usual I am abandoning Mac for cheaper PCs.  I recently found  a Dell XPS 8700 i7 4th generation computer that maxes out to 32 gb RAM and 4 cores. So get two of them and you have an 8 core 64 gb sample player.  And the cost?  $1,700.  Compare that to the Mac Pro model.

Julian-  I am thinking those figures in that article are very skewed.   They don't translate into real world use of CPU/RAM/processing in general.  Though on paper they are impressive.

• Hi William

You cannot compare an I7 and a Xeon processor !

It's like comparing a Audi A6 to a Ferari !

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • The question is academic anyway.   

• This is not academic, if you want to compare two processors you must compare the inside of each, the DMA channel spead ....

Look at the price of a Xeon and to an I7, Xeon are going to more than 3000 $

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Cyril - Yes it is completely academic. Never mind.

• William

You are playing a bad game sending a version of message and changing it after on the forum

For those who are readind this thread these are the last two messages I received form  William :

1) That's bullshit !  These are the latest i7 processors !  You cannot say that Cyril !  You are wrong ! 

2) Cyril - Yes it is completely academic. Don't contradict me.   You  are arrogant with all your flames and exclamation points. You don't know what you are talking about concerning my system which is far beyond anything you have used.  End of discussion.

I have been very polite with you trying to help you, because you  know a lot about music but your knowledge about computer is very low

For me it is the contrary !

Also when I write something I always check if I have any doubts. Wikipedia, Intel, Apple, HP pages are avery good source.

So before contradict me and insulting me you better doubble chek that what you wrote is not wrong.

SO I WILL REPEAT : YOU CANNOT COMPARE AN I7 PROCESSOR WITH A XEON PROCESSOR

If you want to know all about it you go on the Intel site and put the figures of an I7 agains the figures of a Xeon. Do you know wat is the DMA ? it is the channel that acces the memory 

The new Xeon processor came after the last I7

There is a raison that the Xeon are sold up to 3000 $ each

• i don't understand why every mac-related discussion sooner or later must turn into a religious debate ...

if William is happy with the *inferior* i7 for his purpose - who cares.

if Cyril wants to max out every available performance option - let him go.

if i had to choose a processor i'd go with the latest i7 http://ark.intel.com/de/products/family/79318/Intel-High-End-Desktop-Processors/desktop since i'm not sure if it wouldn't be a good idea to have as much processor cache as possible.

actually more important IMO are the 4 memory channels which the i7 also provides.

having everything under one hood can be comfortable, though currently i'm not sure which audio device i had to choose for a macPro and i'm convinced i would need 3 or 4 external devices anyway.

so please continue this thead in a productive manner, say hinting to mac pro related news (like thunderbolt devices) and such, otherwise i will close this thread.

thx, cm

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Hi CM 

May be you did not understand my words.

You say : if Cyril wants to max out every available performance option - let him go.

This not what I mean, I say you cannot compare an I7 to a Xeon, it is normal that you can buy a computer with I7 at 1700$, but you cant get a computer with a Xeon processor at 1700$ when the processor on it's own is sold by Intel just under 3000 $

For me I am very happy with my 12  core configuration, I have not problem to use my 100 instrument  template with very heavy scores

Concerning using TB for audio, this is another discussion ! there are very few affordable solution availlable. Speaking to Motu lately about a TB 424 they said that they are not thinking of this for the moment.

• I might be able to help with this topic in a couple of weeks time. Currently I am using a 12 core (24 thread) machine and will be taking delivery of a new 10 core (20 threads) machine very soon. I'll run one of my heavy sessions on both, and then I will be able to say how much improvement, in terms of processing power for audio, there is. Obviously my machines are Windows based machines, and in terms of spec are very different from what is included, or even possible with the new Mac Pro, but it will give some idea of processor differences between the new ones and the older models.

What I can't help with is anything to do with 4K filming, because I have no experience with that.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

if William is happy with the *inferior* i7 - who cares.

i'm very well aware of the differences between i7 and E5 xeon (let's limit us to the IvyBridge models)

but for most people it is just a question of sufficient outcome for reasonable money.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/77779,75283

i for myself would never choose an i7 for a database server, but also never an E5 xeon for a workstation - hope you get my point.

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Mac pro article v.s. HP v.s Lenovo

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

Hi CM

Thanks, very interesting !

Did you see my PM ?

Best

Cyril

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i for myself would never choose an i7 for a database server, but also never an E5 xeon for a workstation - hope you get my point.

So for a VSL slave with MIR PRO 5.1 what will you use ?

For a VSL workstation for a 100 instrument tremplate with MIR PRO 5.1 ?

• An internet program in French about the new Macpro : http://yakyakyak.fr/2014/01/emission-on-refait-le-mac-special-mac-pro/

• Speaking of TB 2 :

In this French emission they say :

- that we could think of clustering Macpro,

- that they transger a 150 Gb file, it took 22 minute on Ethernet and 4 minutes on TB 2

• For those who speak French Igor has made a test of the new Macpro with Logic X :

http://yakyakyak.fr/2014/01/focus-mac-pro-logic-x-entretien-avec-igor-bolender/

The test is done on the 8 core 64 GB

He has load 48 Kontakt or Logic instruments 
    Each instrument has 40 simultaneous voices over 16 midi channels per Kontakt
    So its a total 1920 simultaneous voices

He has add 576 plug-ins to the 48 instruments

and has routed those to 15 Aux  with 4 plug-ins each 

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

your knowledge about computer is very low

Who are you to judge me?  What exactly are your qualifications?  I have never heard one piece of music you did.  Never on this site or anywhere.  You can hear anything I do.  It is right out there for anyone to judge.  All of it done with computers though my knowledge is "very low."   But what do you do with all your superior equipment?   You are just somebody with a big mouth on the internet, that is all.  Until you post the "big orchestral setups" you do with all that impressive equipment. 

I would be far more impressed with somebody who created a great piece of music with very limited equipment.   But you are constantly acting superior because you have some big Mac system. 

For your information I just spent the last two weeks setting up a four PC computer system with 88 gb of RAM, 2.5 TB of SSD storage and three slaves controlled by a sequencer computer - a total of twelve cores sample playback though it costs 1/4 of the comparable Mac.  None of that counts with you of course, because it is not a PRE-ASSEMBLED high power system from Apple.  I don't need that the way you do Cyril - I have assembled my own system -  even with my "very low" knowledge. 

Don't respond -  I am not interested in hearing from you. I just wanted to let you know that not everyone will put up with your insults.  I'm out of here for good.   Good riddance to you. 

• Read the table I have post, the table show that a MAC at equal configuration is a bit cheaper than a Lenovo and an HP

you cannot compare a PC or a MAC using an I7 and a PC or a MAC using a XEON ! this show your little knowledge in computer hardware !

What a hell having to deal with a master and 4 slave, when all can be done on a single workstation with a XEON and that with MIR PRO in 5.1 or in 7.1 !

• Bill

apologize to Cyril. He was definitely trying to help you with a computer choice.

• last edited
    last edited

I have just read in a French site http://www.macg.co/materiel/2014/01/premier-contact-avec-le-nouveau-mac-pro-79293

that the new 2013 8 core Macpro has the same brute power that the Westmere 2010 12 core Macpro [;)]

---------------------

Premiers tests

Les premiers tests processeur montrent que ce nouveau Mac Pro octocœur dispose d’une puissance brute similaire à celle de l’ancien Mac Pro dodécacore. Il atteint un score Geekbench de 23 900 et un score Cinebench de 1 225, presque comme son prédécesseur doté de plus de cœurs.

------------------------

Can somebody confirm this !