Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,381 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,773 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

There are SSD's with higher sequential read (MB/s) and higher random read (IOPS) than what Angelbird is currently offering. I understand why people will use Angelbird. But as far as performance and RAID options go, there are better options out there IMO. My current sample SSD is faster than Angelbird and I'm planning on getting 2 even faster SSD's to run in RAID for Dimension Strings. I'm not trying to pick on Angelbird or anything like that. I'm just stating all that to ask- why go with their SSD's if RAID isn't worth utilizing?

Sean,which one do you use?

thanks Willy

• Willy,

I can't remember the brand name of my faster one. I know I have a Patriot SSD, but that one is slower than Angelbird. That one was my first SSD and I upgraded and use the Patriot as my OS drive now. I'm pretty sure my faster one is either OCZ or Mushkin. Although, I don't have enough room for DS yet anyway so I will eventually have to get a new SSD just for the space for DS.

This is likely the one I'll get,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661

-Sean

EDIT**

I keep putting the wrong link in here, lol. I meant this one, it's large enough to hold DS with a little room left over. (I figure anyway with the Violin library being 89GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227743

• Thanks Sean.

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

EDIT**

I keep putting the wrong link in here, lol. I meant this one, it's large enough to hold DS with a little room left over. (I figure anyway with the Violin library being 89GB)

Not that it matters but on our Mac's Dimension Viiolins installed at 62gigs, and Ive read it's 52 on PC's.

• Weird, I thought I read 89 somewhere and the product page says 85.7GB. Either way, if it is indeed 52, all the better as I can get a cheaper SSD.

-Sean

• Yeah I think 85gigs is the uncompressed total sample size in the player....

• On my PC they take 57 gigas but then the cello viola and bass will arrive, so you need more space!

•  Yes, I got it installed yesterday and if I recall correctly, it was 58GB installed.

• I have 12GBs RAM, so that should be good. How large of an SSD should I but to hold the Dimension Strings? I want enough to hold all the other string sections as they become available. Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

Willy,

I can't remember the brand name of my faster one. I know I have a Patriot SSD, but that one is slower than Angelbird. That one was my first SSD and I upgraded and use the Patriot as my OS drive now. I'm pretty sure my faster one is either OCZ or Mushkin. Although, I don't have enough room for DS yet anyway so I will eventually have to get a new SSD just for the space for DS.

This is likely the one I'll get,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661

-Sean

EDIT**

For whatever it's worth it, Revo drives are far from being your best all-around alternative nowadays. You'll very rarely be able to take advantage of their full bandwidth, and their cost is still a good margin higher than the best regular SSD's in the market. You can get two (2x) 480GB of the best in class SSD drives in the market, and put them in RAID 0, for about the same price of that Revo, and you'd have close to the same bandwidth and twice as much capacity...

• Gusfmm,

Thanks. I knew this but I didn't find anything in the same price range. I only did a glance cause my money is going to DS first, then the SSD(s) but that was the best option I had found at the time. I prefer setting up a raid configuration anyway for performance and so I don't use up a PCIe slot for future needs.

Thanks for bringing it up though. Great point.

-Sean

• My computer only have 8 Gb's of memory ram DDR3 has main support, I can't have have more than 8 Gb's of ram.. I have 2 slots of DDR3 and other 2 are DDR2. I think the solution for this is to buy a new motherboard that has all 4 DDR3, so I can have 16 Gb's which is request from VSL.

• Is there anyone using Dimension Strings with a Core2 Duo and 8GB of ram? Would love to hear if DS is usable in this context. Currently using chamber strings with solo strings, seems to be fine. Thanks!

• Angel bird is about to be releasing new portable SSD2GO drives that you can get in 7 colors (so I hear).  They will be eSATA/USB3.  (I'm adding a USB3 express card for this)  They will even be selling twin drives. 2 mounted together.  These portable SSD drives will be VERY reasonably priced.  I'm Ordering as soon as they'll ship me one. ;)

• Blogos,

As most of us do not have computers capable of Sata III speeds, SSD's will probably run faster via USB 3.0...

• Ricardo,

I think we've determined that 16 gigs of RAM may be a bit thin for the complete Dimension Strings, plus DAW,

plus Enemble Pro, plus MIR, plus any other samples or plugins you may wish to run.