Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,708 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• The only thing that isn't really working for me is having amazing patches such as the performance legato with only two dynamic layers, requiring me to use other patches for smoother dynamics. This isn't really a criticism of VSL, it's just something I am not yet used to.

• last edited
    last edited

@Casiquire said:

The only thing that isn't really working for me is having amazing patches such as the performance legato with only two dynamic layers, requiring me to use other patches for smoother dynamics. This isn't really a criticism of VSL, it's just something I am not yet used to.

It really depends on which patch whether or not more layers are necessary. For example, with the DVD Apppassionata Strings I never use the 4 layer patch, because the 2 layer sounds better to my ears. Just a quick thought; you are using Velocity xFade, aren't you?

DG

• I see now it is the particular edition you are talking about that has fewer velocity layers - sorry.  I also tend to use the 4 velocity layer instruments in the full versions because they are smoother for crossfading, etc. 

• Yes, I do use the Velocity XFade. It sounds very good for ppp-mf or f-fff, but that transition in the middle where the sample jumps up to a very loud forte is a bit difficult to tame with only two dynamic layers. I am planning on upgrading of course, once I get used to the strengths of VSL and their instrument player, so out of curiosity does the standard or extended library for brass have a patch similar to the legato patches of the Special Edition that have four layers? In other words how might my workflow change in the transition to a larger library?