Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,147 users have contributed to 42,278 threads and 254,992 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Yes, Cyril has the biggest computer.  Therefore he is the best.

Young composer = GOOD

Old composer = BAD

I love Hans Zimmer all the time.  He is the greatest of all composers who ever lived in the universe.  Actually, he is the greatest of all who lived in the multi-dimensional brane in which this universe is situated.  He was one of the original Space-Time perturbations that existed before the galaxies were formed immediately after the Big Bang.

I will not praise Bernard Herrmann too much.   Don't worry Vibrato, I won't let it happen again and will always celebrate your celebration of Young Composers who are the only ones who should live, after all. 

I know that everyone is good and all ideas are wonderful in the new world of the internet where everybody has a chance to become great like Hans and may some day if they learn their computers like Cyril.  Thank you so much.  Have a nice day.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I'm on Cyrils side totally.

Any guy that has a description of his computer set up that is usually longer than his posts - has my backing every time!

Go Cyril!!

VSL is asking to put your configuration in your signature so they know what you have

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

VSL is asking to put your configuration in your signature so they know what you have

It's a good idea actually Cyril. I could not tell you what the configuration of my system is at the moment because I've forgotten. I know I have my tech man coming over soon to update it because I can't do this kind of thing myself.

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

al this talking is BLA BLA BLA as we say in french

Well, yeah Cyril, that's the problem.  When Erik and I call Apple support all we get is "BLA BLA BLA" because the calls are going to India or the Planet Vulcan or somewhere and we can't understand a thing they're saying.  And I'm pretty sure it ain't French they're speaking.  I end up having to Google search my way out of the problem.

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Oh BTW PaulR,

I own a P2000 40 calibre.  And I'm a pretty good shot with it too. 

See - this is what makes me jealous about America. We British actually create the USA and then we're not allowed to have guns! It's ridiculous.

This is true Paul but, originally, we Americans were allowed to bare arms so that we could keep you pesky Brits out!  And the pesky French and the pesky Spanish and the pesky Vulcans too! 

• last edited
    last edited

@Astro said:

As a side-note I should say that I am actually quite sensitive to the needs and differences of others, but, hell, when something is funny, it's funny! 

M

The ancient Greek thespians believed that comedy was rooted in cruelty and apparently modern anthropologists concur.  They are convinced that homo sapiens began laughing out loud when they did cruel and brutal things to each other.  So go ahead and enjoy yourself a good laugh at the expense of others, it's only natural.

• Gentlemen, I must admit I've probably had one too many this evening and really shouldn't be posting on the forum.  So I'll leave you all with my favorite W.C. Fields quote,

"My wife drove me to drinking.  Now I am forever in her debt." [:P]

Take care

• It's still a legal requirement to practice archery here once a week, however.

• When this happend ?

This is very anoing, in France the support is in Ireland and we speak to French guys, they are VERY GOOD and VERY HELPFULL, I have spend hours with the pro support configuring my Lion server. I was one of the 1st client to install Lion server, and the documentation where not obvious and there was a few bugs. Now my Lion server is working great since !

why dont you write to Tim Cook !!!!

Do you have free phone for UK or France ? if yes call European support !!!

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I love Hans Zimmer all the time.  He is the greatest of all composers who ever lived in the universe.  Actually, he is the greatest of all who lived in the multi-dimensional brane in which this universe is situated.  He was one of the original Space-Time perturbations that existed before the galaxies were formed immediately after the Big Bang.

That's why I've been having so many problems grasping the grandeur of his music! It's due to my limited understanding of μ theory... So those universal spewccati of his that I have belittled so much as uninspired, and a puerile way of concealing basic musical inadequacies (shame! SHAME!!), are actually symbolizing the cosmic superstrings... resounding their universal constant vibration... Aaaaaaahh!........

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

why dont you write to Tim Cook !!!!

Do you have his cell number? I'd love to call him! Personal e-mail then? I want to let him know how very much I think of Apple's billion-$ think-tank's latest transcedental achievements (iGestures and iCam specs....)

I dont have his email but you can try tcook@apple.com or cook.t@apple.com

• last edited
    last edited

The ancients Greeks also believed the world was flat, look how that turned out.

Mike

@Astro said:

As a side-note I should say that I am actually quite sensitive to the needs and differences of others, but, hell, when something is funny, it's funny! 

M

The ancient Greek thespians believed that comedy was rooted in cruelty and apparently modern anthropologists concur.  They are convinced that homo sapiens began laughing out loud when they did cruel and brutal things to each other.  So go ahead and enjoy yourself a good laugh at the expense of others, it's only natural.

• last edited
    last edited

@Astro said:

Mike

If you were the intellectual you self-declared yourself to be, you would know that Greeks were aware of the world being round from even before classical antiquity (see myth of Zeus and the two doves), down to historical times (see Plato's Timeaus), and subsequently the Hellenistic period (see Eratosthenes). And the same goes for Heliocentricity. They just didn't feel the necessity to challenge and frighten the rest of the world, who anyway found out for themselves a couple of thousand years later by having access to the classical texts through the Medici and the Renaissance (Galileo and Copernicus never bothered to reveal their sources; they weren't the only ones - see Descartes and the famous "I think therefore I am", hint-hint: Parmenides...)

• Yes, Errikos the Demon Tongue, Defiler of the Crypt of the Eumenides' Avenged,  wasn't the first conception of the world as spherical conjectured by one of the philosophers as an explanation of the slow disappearance of the mast of a ship?  It was a Greek philosopher unless I am half-remembering wrongly.  It is astounding how many concepts that later became scientifically proven were first conceived by the Greeks.  The artistic, dramatic and architectural creativity as well are amazing.  But the great tragedy of ancient Greek culture is that there is no record of the music.  Was it as great as Aeschylus, Euripides or Sophocles in drama, Homer in poetry, the creator of the Parthenon in architecture, the Spartans in war...

the Athenians in toga-partying? 

We will never know. 

• Yes, I consider it the greatest tragedy ever, that we know nothing of what classical greek music sounded like... (The loss of Mozart at 36 and W.W.I+II are far behind in my worldview).

We know many of the theoretical writings and their academic sophistication, beginning with the Pythagoreans and continuing with countless others, we know of the legendary effects of that music from what we know of Orpheus, as well as Pythagoras again who actually used music to cure ailments (not just headaches, but even liver problems, something that science is only now beginning to investigate), but we know nothing of the music itself - by the way, Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides were composers as well, and their theatrical works were actually music-dramas (Aeschylus' ones were completely sung through, and the rendition of one of Euripides' songs was enough to countermand the official military directive of the victorious Spartans to destroy Athens at the end of the Peloponnesian War).

I consider the attempts by some to "re-create" that music in recent times as hilarious and as pitiful as people attempting to recreate Hans or Johnny. The real music would have been at least as epochal, as grand, as beautiful, as definitive, and as timeless as the architecture, the sculpture, and the poetry of the times, as we know that during their time, the classical Greeks considered music to have been the most evolved of the arts!!...

P.S.: Pity we don't know much about the parties either.... 

P.S.2: Sorry this has got nothing to do with Dedicated Audio PCs. Can you begin to imagine how much more Aeschylus and Beethoven could have done with a rig like that?... Spewccati-loops at the very least!... Oh, and Aeschylus would have used an Apple (aesthetics you see...)

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

as timeless as the architecture, the sculpture, and the poetry of the times, as we know that during their time, the classical Greeks considered music to have been the most evolved of the arts!!...

Yes, that is frightening to think of.  By the way, I was noticing recently how HEARING The Iliad, even though it is translated, is a compeltely different experience than reading it.  Of course Homer originally sang these great stories in verse.  But it is interesting how down through the centuries, even translated into a different language, the power of that story still echoes.  Though I was listening to a great British actor intoning a brilliant translation -  an actor capable of bringing the story to life. But that is part of the poetry - performance.  it was normal to hear that in the ancient days.  It was only in recent times that poetry was separated from singing.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Of course Homer originally sang these great stories in verse.

That is why there was no pressing need to put this huge epic "down on paper", as people were able to memorize it because of the musical setting (and through frequent repetitions obviously).

• I really wonder how this conversation could be considered even remotely related to the topic...

• last edited
    last edited

@Astro said:

Mike

If you were the intellectual you self-declared yourself to be, you would know that Greeks were aware of the world being round from even before classical antiquity

Wait a minute here!  Hooooold everything!  Are you guys telling me that the world is round?  Not flat?  Ha! Ha! Ha!  [:P]  Oh you Jokesters kill me!

"The world is round."  Yeah right!  That's why I love coming to the VSL Forum Comedy Calvacade.  It's just non-stop shenanigans and hilarity.  "Intellectuals?" more like comedians.  LOL.

• I would like to write a blog on this thread about my tech man and my efforts to contact him right through to getting everything set up and updated on my Audio "computer".  It's going to be fascinating because I'm a Devonian and my tech man is from Leicester and neither of us really understands what the other is saying.

You can take part if you wish - but you must be over 35 years old.