Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,088 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,977 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 3 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• Any word on the ETA for the VEP update with the new multi-port feature for Logic?

• Hi,

As soon as we are through with testing. These are quite some changes, so we need to consider all parameters. 

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul

Why dont you give us a beta, that will help you a lot as your Beta team left quite a few holes in VEP 5 and in MIR

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I wish this were true. I too purchased the VEPRO 5 update almost exclusively for the event input feature. I've diligently followed the instructions in the manual and video, and wasted time scouring these forums for lack of better customer service and tech support options offered by VSL. I have an I/O utility plug in every server and corresponding event input track. It works splendidly UNTIL you make any changes in tempo. At that point event input tracks die like they have the plague, and VEPRO 5 hangs and freezes. I appreciate that programs have bugs and they take time to fix them, but can you offer any solutions other that actually work?

• The next update of VEPro5 will offer a solution for running multiple midi ports into one AU for Logic, by using an environment layer. Perhaps this solution might be better for you.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

The next update of VEPro5 will offer a solution for running multiple midi ports into one AU for Logic

Hmm... Sorry for being cynical, but wasn't that the sales pitch for VEP5 in the first place?

• The Event Input plugin works well for a large number of hosts. Logic just happens to be an extraordinarily nonstandard AU-host.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Logic just happens to be an extraordinarily nonstandard AU-host.

I understand that. However, I also do believe that it's an application that's being used daily in more than a couple of eccentric households. Like jbass27, I didn't hesitate to pay for that feature because I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the VSL research staff knew that.

I'm not asking for my money back because I still think that VSL sample libraries are the best in the business, and because I think that eventually some of my money will be invested in the further development of these libraries. I'll just be more careful with new VSL products next time.

• I think that the new Logic environment solution that will be available *very soon*, might be your best bet. We are trying to do what we can to get around the pitfalls and bugs of Logic, so please bear with us :)

• Hi MS

You said it use logic environment solution. Is it mean 'Environment Window'?

Is there something end user have to do with Envrionment setup?

If it's true... It's not a closed solution I think.

Im familiar with Logic environment setup but I'm afraid most users are not.

If possible please make more simple solution.

I know It's a really hard job to do.

It's almost make it possible with impossible thing.

Thanks

• Dont worry it is simple to make a Logic song with the Macro inside, so you use the song as it is or you import the layer that contains the VSL Macro in your song

If I use my 99 track tempate with using event input I have sometimes hangging notes.

The result I have now using 1/2 IAC and 1/2 Event input, is working quite well, it is using 2 processors in Logic instead of one, I just have the problem with the 5.0 instead of 5.1

Looks like VSL is taking too much time to read data comming from Logic or Logic take too much time to send data to VSL and it is forgetting some times  to send the "note off" messages, this is why I had sometimes hanging notes.

Spliting the trafic between IAC and Event input is a solution today, I DO NOT USE the VSL "surround instrument" to send midi to VSL, the 1st midi port is using the midi event plug-ins

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • That's fine, but what about in the meantime - its pretty absurd not to be able to change tempo without crashing - even when not using the event input plug (as I just discovered). You guys really missed the mark on this one. Logic is a mainstream DAW. Calling it eccentric and blaming Apple for problems with your new release is infuriating. I understand that new releases have bugs, but my patience and willingness to give you the beneift of the doubt goes out the window when I read nearly ten pages of forum threads that span a period of two months, and you're just now acknowledging that your "fix" is garbage. I honestly feel ripped off by VSL this time around, which is a shame because I was such a fan of VEPRO before. As I said, I'm sure you'll get in figured out, but in the meantime, do you have any functional alternatives to at least prevent VEPRO 5 from hanging and crashing Logic?

• My test song is changing tempo all the time, I have no crash, it is very relyable 

You do have some probems with your configuration.

Are you sure that you have the latest version of evry thing.

Best

Cyril

• last edited
    last edited

@moviescoring_30579 said:

Hi MS

You said it use logic environment solution. Is it mean 'Environment Window'?

Is there something end user have to do with Envrionment setup?

If it's true... It's not a closed solution I think.

Im familiar with Logic environment setup but I'm afraid most users are not.

If possible please make more simple solution.

I know It's a really hard job to do.

It's almost make it possible with impossible thing.

We have a limited set of tools at our disposals for overcoming the 16-channel midi limitation in Logic. We have developed the Event input plugin as such a solution, which works well for pretty much any AU host. For Logic, the solution with adding a few environment macros, is the best one possible. I would love to be a magician, but there is only so much one can do with a limited and rather buggy host.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

We have a limited set of tools at our disposals for overcoming the 16-channel midi limitation in Logic. We have developed the Event input plugin as such a solution, which works well for pretty much any AU host. For Logic, the solution with adding a few environment macros, is the best one possible. I would love to be a magician, but there is only so much one can do with a limited and rather buggy host.

It is becuase of this I finally upgraded my copy of Cubase to 6 so I could test the waters on the last project.  I have to say it did fairly well even on my old Mac Pro and the VST3 plugin has all the ports I could need.  ðŸ˜Š   I love Logic but despite the minor update to it the program does feel slightly abandonded or rather will slowly become perceived as entry level (and perception is 9/10ths of reality as they say bla bla bla).

Sorry rambling here I'll still be testing out the new solution when it becomes available.

Chris

• Don't want  to start a DAW war here but as  the Online Coordinator for EastWest, we  get lots of reports of issues with users of Play 3 that ONLY happen with Cubase so I am not  sure that it  is fair to say Logic is any buggier, just different bugs.

• No, I understand. Different bugs are for sure...

Chris

• Yep, fully up to date. As for the event plugin issue, for me the update isn't stable even when not using the event plugin tracks as a work around to Logic's 16 track limitation. Its in any project on any tempo change. I agree that this problem is bizarre to say the least. No problems with version 4, only with version 5. I'm just curious to see if anyone else runs into this problem.

• last edited
    last edited

@jbass27 said:

Yep, fully up to date. As for the event plugin issue, for me the update isn't stable even when not using the event plugin tracks as a work around to Logic's 16 track limitation. Its in any project on any tempo change. I agree that this problem is bizarre to say the least. No problems with version 4, only with version 5. I'm just curious to see if anyone else runs into this problem.

If you want, I can have a look to your song at to try it on my configuration.

Send it to "cb dot pub at numericable dot com" (if necessary remove protected midi data..)

Best

Cyril

• Thanks for the kind offer Cyril, unfortunately I can't send the project file as I don't own the material, its a "work for hire" gig that I'm working on. If I have a chance I'll open a new session and recreate the problem with a different cue, however, right not I've got my attention and time on rebuilding the session in version 4 so I can make a deadline. Thanks again. James