Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,620 users have contributed to 42,247 threads and 254,873 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Hi Paul,

good to meet you at the DV workshop in Clapham, London,

Looking forward to the release of all the new stuff, is there an ETA yet?

Best,

Nick

• I agree that divisi is probably one of the most important things VSL can focus on right now. However, VSL may be doing that. Those recording and those programming the software aren't the same though, so who knows when what happens? Personally, my preference would be a more fully extended library and dimension strings. That would be amazing. That and any more improvements to save time (with the same results, as mentioned before)... I'd sell my everything but my soul for! lol Where as a violin II would be outdated by this point. I'd consider buying it... but why waste money on that when the inevitable divisi will have to happen?

Legato trills may not be recorded, but I think I have easily emulated the sound with what I have. Sweeter pianissimo? Yes, big time! Real-time time stretching is an amazingly wonderful idea, but I fear the computing is not ready for it. I'd rather have the option to time-stretch myself to the tempo's, this way I can find the best sounding one. Imagine creating 20 different patches via time stretch. What would be more easily accomplished would be by having these 20 new patches, and having the software choose which one based on the tempo of the peice. Less automatic stretching, more automatic choosing which articulation would be nice in that regard. Scale Runs and crescendo's help build a more natural sounding performance. The more the merrier, imo.

Anyway, aside from getting off-topic a bit. I'd say that if VI 2.0 or future developement focused on ways of improving the time it takes to get the same or better results, the better. That's what most of us seem to want. I agree that VI 2.0's demoing of the sequencer feature seems to show a simpler, dumbed down approach. However, I think there are still uses for it for someone wanting to maintain 100% flexibility with their library.

Either way, looking forward to seeing this on my computer. I only wish I had it last week! [:D]

-Sean

• Hi Herb, 

This looks like another awesome development - but sorry to pester, but is the "CPU used when instrument off" issue going to be fixed in this coming release? Your team told me they hoped to be able to do so, no promises of course - but I wonder if there is any chance it will be done...?

• Replying to iscore film - although VSL never seems to really let anyone know what is coming next until it's done, I venture a speculative guess that divisi strings with a twist is well on the way and probably nearly here. Give it a few months. Again, just a guess.

I have to disagree with previous post about harmonisation intelligence - I think that is an excellent feature especially as a massive time saver with dimension brass (and other dimension libraries to come). First time I tried it out with DB, I was like, oh yes this is an enormous time saver. Also VSL does things with long term vision and engineers things to last. Some of the features may seem a bit trite to you now but I expect they are there for a reason and will be more obvious once future libraries are released. These guys are Austrians remember. They know what they are doing ;) They are always building the platform. Other things I agree with on though, more libraries, more articulations ;)  and more pianissimo, this is something I also have thought of - but having said that, have you played around with using the dynamics and expression sliders and even a bit of the filter? You can use those in combination to greatly soften pianissimo samples both in tone and dynamic effect - in fact it goes all the way to silence.

The biggest developments for me besides the divisi / dimension type libraries has got to be a modulated hybrid MIR. I don't mean hybrid like a convolution stage added on to an algorithm stage, I mean a modelled reverb drawn from a static convolution captured from a real room, but that breathes like an algorithm simulating a real room. In other words, there is no convolution except that it is the starting point, for direct, SR and tail... That has to be the holy grail right now... instrument placement without the (for me) dreaded static convolution effect. Although I think the Star Wars demo was exceptionally convincing...

• mpower88, 

I agree that it should be in the works. I don't doubt it. I just don't guess about when. I don't think any of the new features are bad, not at all. I only meant to state my preferences. I'm more in the middle, partially agreeing with the comments I responded to, partially liking what their doing. But ultimately, I won't know until I have VI-P 2.0 (Which I badly badly want right now! lol). The filter is good, also the muted string samples are good for pianissimo passages (and sometimes a combination of the two). I just hope Dimension Strings is as throrough, and hopefully more than the current offerings.

And yes, the Stars Demo's are incredibly convincing!

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

mpower88, 

I just hope Dimension Strings is as throrough, and hopefully more than the current offerings.

-Sean

Yep! If they do it in their usual style, there is no doubt they it will trump, surpass and leap frog the competition in one go. But we'll wait and see. It's still all completely speculation for now... but hopeful speculation... 😉

• Herb, If it's just around the corner..... any chance of just announcing a date? Is this corner looking more like a week, a month, 2 days? lol

-Sean

P.S. You could always just email me the latest beta build... I'd be HAPPY to try it out and give a review! [;)]

• Well, despite the variety of opinions, here (mine included) there seems to be a general consesus that some more strings sampes would be welcome. 

Of course you can soften with filters, but that does not produce that "magic" I am talking about when, as I said, you can hear a pin drop. There is a fantastic tension in the players themselves, an intense control that is required to deliver PPP in an authoritative way without loosing focus on the sound. It's a truly magic sound when it works. With and without mutes of course.

Also, divisi is a completely different thing from 2nd violins. We need divisi 1sts and divisi 2nds, with a different bunch of players with their different violins, seating position, mood, the bus that was missed to get to the session, everything. It's as important as violas, I say again.

I would prefer 2nd violins over divisi actually. Just.

If harmonisation helps sell more packages, then great by me. 

But also I think VSL need to up their game a little with the sample scripting. I can hear crossfades, or a slight clash as sample layers are swapped with the mod wheel. I think VSL should set the standard here. 

Also, being Viennese is a very good qualification for "knowing what you are doing" but I also "know what I am doing" and I am English. I might sound a bit like a pomous old guy here, but we must all remember to GET TO A REAL CONCERT from time to time. Hear the real stuff. Pick up a second hand violin from a junk shop and try and make a sound. Listen to how a (live) string quartet is a symbiotic living organism of sound that is constantly feeding back on itself. What I ask for (eg better pianissimo) is only scratching the surface.

I'll step off the box now, and  go back to work....

Best Wishes

B

• last edited
    last edited

@benbartlett said:

I would prefer 2nd violins over divisi actually. Just.

Best Wishes

B

Yes, I've said that too! Violins II is necessary, and more useful, before we get proper divisi from both sections!  

• I'm not saying Violin II would be unwelcome. But VSL coming out with Violin II at this point would be a gesture of 'hey people, we're behind and we're staying behind!'. While many of us VSL users feel that 'we have the best library' and such, not everyone agrees. VSL has to stay competative to stay in this business. I think Violin II would be a bad move. VSL producing a Dimension String library, with divisi would likely mean we'd have divisi AND a violin II. I know that's fairly obvious, but I think it's worth restating to make the point. Catching up would give us both. Violin II only gives us part of what other libraries already have, and doesn't give us everything they have.

I think when users say 'well, no one is even near VSL in quality... so those other divisi libraries got nothin!' they are underestimating the power of user preference. While I think VSL is hands-down the only decent library, other options exist and that's a fact. VSL is missing 2 HUGE portions of a string library. From what I and many others call 'the leader in this industry', anything less than a major upgrade would be unwelcomed by many, imo anyway.

-Sean

• Hello, I don't understand why you are looking for violins #2 ,I use twice the same matrix violins in different midi canal, I have no problems with it ...Can someone tell me what is wrong in doing this  ?

Of course divisis violins will be a nice thing to have [;)]

Thank you

• last edited
    last edited

@Pro-Arte said:

I don't understand why you are looking for violins #2 ,I use twice the same matrix violins in different midi canal, I have no problems with it ...Can someone tell me what is wrong in doing this  ?

I use the Violin patch with everything tuned to 420, then I adjust the semitones to put the right placement for pitches on the keyboard. Then I use humanize to make it closer to the correct pitch on average. 420 doesn't quite do it (which I've suggested they allow more flexibility on).

With that, it sounds surprizingly pretty good. But despite a good sound, it's still 'the same' sound. This eliminates using the same recording for the same note, but one still deals with a not quite 'timbrally' different enough sound. It's a good cheat and it works enough to have the effect. But it's nothing compared to a Violin II section. Divisi will be great though. I use different string sections to add more humanized control right now, to give a more full sound, to bring out certain frequencies for different sized sections, and to spread the space better. To me, as good as a power-panned 14 violin section sounds, panning the chambers in there also gives it more shape, imo anyway. Divisi would only add to this ability. So by all means, I prefer full on Divisi strings to just a Violin II section- but even just the extra section, despite the jimmy-rigged ability now, would be far better to have for realism. Different instruments and players means different sound.

-Sean

• You can still get phasing issues if you're not carefull, when manufacturing a Vln II. Then thing is, Violin II is not just different players, it's different fiddles too. Different instruments and bows. Even moving the microphones and recording everything again is not enough to create that 2nd section.

I think we are all agreeing really. If VSL come up with "Dimension Strings" or something similar, as a whole new product to swat off the competition, and if that included Vlns II then I, for one would happy. It's kinda what I was saying eralier - we need a new strings library, and it must have some basic features.

For me Vln II is one of those basic features. Divisi is another. 

I am not aware of any library that has a genuine Vln II (please correct me anyone) including LASS. The Vln II in LASS is made by "cleverly EQ'ing the firsts to avoid phasing problems" from the manual (not verbatim). To me that is a weakness of LASS - the ensemble feels empty somehow. A strength of LASS is an immediacy of sound, a sense that there is a session in front of you. But this could well be because of the (slightly complicated-to-use) divisi feature. VSL, however, can sometimes get a little "wall of sound ish" if that makes sense. Both Orch and Apass strings get a bit "blocky" when you build up the arrangement. Don't get me wrong - LASS is inferior for sure, on balance. No question. 

The best and most beautiful string library in my opinion is the Chamber Strings of VSL. Really precise progamming and bags of experience have gone into this library and it shows. It would be great to get this quality but perhaps at the scale of the (rather aging now) Ortchestral Strings library.

I hope VSL are reading this little thread....

Best

Ben

• Hi All,

Well, there is a new advertisement up on the VSL site for Vienna Instruments Pro. I'm really looking forward to this!

best to everyone!

Steve[:D]

• The new VE5 video just posted is really cool. It's nice to hear a more modern sounding demo to show off the flexibility of VSL. I'd like to see a bit more of this personally.

-Sean

• Wow that new video for VEPro 5 is fantastic....! [H] Love the titles!!! 

• First, I LOVE the new VI Pro 2.0 video!! Plus the new picture previews look great! Yes, I must admit. I did zoom in on that sequencer picture to see as much as I could! [;)]

I would like to comment that I think there are VERY REASONABLE times when Christmas presents can be given early. This one is one of those times! lol

-Sean

Oh, and VSL... You guys just rock! Plain and simple!

• Yeah, VSL for me is also the single best audio production and sample library company out there right now. I could live without everything else but not VSL ;-)

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Dear Forum Members,

I'm very happy to announce that Vienna Instruments PRO 2 is just around the corner! We've added a few very cool features, one of which you can watch and listen to in our new video:

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1877/1528.vsl

It's all played live, no sequencers or notation programs have been used, just Vienna Instruments PRO 2 and Vienna Ensemble PRO.

Enjoy!

best

Herb

Hello ,

thanks for inventing, developing & improving  all those wonderful  and helpful tools .

Best wishes to you and the whole VSL Team

Gerd Kaeding

• I second that. +1