Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,752 users have contributed to 42,256 threads and 254,903 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• Ignore my post... Somehow I just overlooked half of what you typed. I know, I'm crazy... but still. I have my answer, lol Thanks!

-Sean

• Well, if I try to balance all the interventions, the best for now is to stay Sibelius 6. 2 (and Pro-Tools in my case) and wait for developments. The good thing is that have good tools, although you always want to improve. The other advantage is that they are there, known and controlled. In addition, VSL handles very well integrated with Sibelius. While working with that.

Thank you all.

• iscorefilm, I believe you already understood what I'm going to explain. I used VI because the setup was simpler (one instance per staff), but Notion failed when handling a large number of instances. When switching to VE, setup becomes more work intensive, having to setup the extra staffs and assigning midi-channels for each, but the crashes went away.

Now what I'm failing to understand is why you are using the midi-outs to communicate with the VST. Are you opening VE as standalone and then routing the midi to it? This should not be necessary. In "Score Setup", instead of going to External MIDI, go to VST Instruments, and choose Vienna Ensemble.This will create a staff with a VE instance linked to it, then you can create the extra staffs and distribute the 16 midi-channels. Make sure that your ruleset is configure to "plugin" instead of "midi-out", the plugin ID for VE is 1448299589.

• No, I understand all that. I worded it wrong. I called it midi, even though it's essential 8 'internal midi' channels to the VST.

I want more midi channels so I can keep VE running with my template loaded... this way I could go from Cubase to Notion and back when I need. Sadly I can't do that though. I know VE Pro will let people preserve an instance, but sadly I don't have it yet. [:'(] Soon, but not yet.

Although, I still doubt whether VE Pro will solve this problem also... as in Notion, I'd have a few instances of VEP, will the preserve function keep all of them preserved? Can I then tie them to Cubase after? I don't know. But I can't use the actual midi ports cause I have LoopBe30 installed on my system, because I needed at least 5 at first. No my template uses 9 midi ports (and is starting to grow again, lol)

Thanks for the VE ID.... that will definately help me, I'm sure of it. Sorry to pester you, but do you know anything about the VEP preserve bit? Any other thoughts that might help? 

Thanks!

Sean

• Sorry, I don't own VE PRO either and I'm waiting until I get a reasonable amount of free time before I demo it.

But, I don't understand why would you need to actually preserve the instances, won't saving and loading the viframes accomplish the same? Are you planning on working on the two programs concurrently? I'm having trouble understanding your pipeline.

• On a separate note, Notion released an update, which means the program isn't dead!

Here are the release notes from their site.

NOTION 3.2 Update Release Notes:

OSX Lion Compatiblity
    Fixes and Enhancements to Sample Library
    Support of New Sound Kits
    Compatibility with Progression for iPad
    Addition of iPad/Mobile Distortion VST
    Guitar Pro File Import (versions 3-5)
    UI Fixes and Updates
    New Score Layout, Page Margin and Printing Options
    Fixed lyrics tool to avoid collisions
    Score rendering fixes including TAB notation improvements
    Delete function fixed for TAB staffs
    Fixed playback of muted open notes on fretted instruments
    Arpeggio playback timing fixed
    Note on/Note off message timing fixed for VSTi plugins
    Fixed playback of Fermatas and Cesuras in NTempo Mode
    NTempo Vamp issues resolved
    Fixed false entrance after repeat bar
    Fixed Gliss Note Off in NTempo
    Made Sounds Update an optional process
    Importing of Brass and Woodwind sections with XML

This does give hope for the future!

• Yes it would accomplish the same thing, but with a few drawbacks. 1- loading time. I have to wait for my template to load each time; not horrible, but inconvenient when 'ideas' are running about in my head. 2- Different templates. I have 1 master template with everything in it. For Notion3 I have to have 8 mini-templates to accomplish the same thing. Load 1 template file for cubase, load 8 files for Notion3. It's a bit absurd in the end, as I see it anyway. 3- That's still only 8 midi ports essentially. I use 9 in my template. So now, I have to reduce my template. It's not a horrible problem, A limited template will still work for Notion3, but I'm not saying it's my favorite restriction either.

To me, if they simply allowed for as many midi ports as most software programs do, it wouldn't have been a problem. I just worry that I'm going to take the time to build a new template scheme for Notion, only to find that VSL releases a VSL-DAW or something, making all my efforts here a waste of time, Not good! lol

-Sean

• And this version sounds great. It's hard to have an objective view. Notion3 that this orientation is as perfect. In its implementation, in practice, I do not know. It would take a month's work and comparison, and I do not have the time. Overall, according to users, Sibelius 6.2 is still higher. That's true. But if Notion3 still evolving, with its customers, I think the composers would choose. There are some well thought choe at the base of Notion3.

• last edited
    last edited

@Tralen said:

On a separate note, Notion released an update, which means the program isn't dead!

Here are the release notes from their site.

NOTION 3.2 Update Release Notes:

OSX Lion Compatiblity

This does give hope for the future!

Hello

Where did you get this.

The version to download is 3.1.277

It does not say 64 bit and multiproc support !!!

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

Where did you get this.

The version to download is 3.1.277

It does not say 64 bit and multiproc support !!!

I saw on their sight, the current version now is 3.2.9927 for Notion3 - however - 3.1.277 is the latest version for Notion3 SLE. I'm fairly sure that this is the cause of the confusion.

-Sean

P.S. As to what features are in this update... I am not sure. I thought I saw a list somewhere, but the list wasn't very impressive. To me, there may be hope, but I'm not sure that this is enough of an indicator. If Notion does produce a serious update or Notion4, then I will be pleased. Until then...

• Claude,

J'aimerais prendre contact avec toi !

Je suis à Québec la ville...

Au plaisir

• Je suis à Métis sur Mer. Tu peux m'écrire directement sur cmb@claudemarcbourget.com

Au plaisir,

cmb

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on