Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,914 users have contributed to 42,263 threads and 254,948 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Hicks said:

But my main concern is the phase on velocity crossfading! It has been created while ago and since it seems that time haas changed and a lot of improvement have been found. Would it be possible to change the velocity crossfading to try to avoid the most the phase and the "multi" instrument effect (ie when using solo violin and riding the xfading and hearing two violins because samples are layering). Regards

This is a very real concern and I would hope that VSL is actively working on solving it. Phase aligning such a huge sample set is a really daunting task, so i would settle for just the legato and sustain samples. However, this would not suit the people who like to do all dynamic control with a continuous controller. This has always seemed counter-intuitive to me, as "one-shot" samples are perfectly suited to velocity control, but would those people be prepared to accept a compromise?

AFAIK the only sample library developer that allows you to cross-fade on solo instruments without phasing is Samplemodeling, and that is not really a sample library. I would imagine that phase aligning a few MB of samples takes far less time than a few hundred GB.

DG

Is it actually possible to phase align different samples? - certainly identical audio is straight forward but I find with non-identical audio files it is often possible to phase align at a specific point but then the waveform displays soon drift apart over a matter of tenths of a second.

And that is also ignoring the fact that even if you could phase align samples over their entire duration (by maybe re-building the sample structure?) then it will all be to no avail unless the respective loop durations are exactly the same length down to sample level.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

Is it actually possible to phase align different samples? - certainly identical audio is straight forward but I find with non-identical audio files it is often possible to phase align at a specific point but then the waveform displays soon drift apart over a matter of tenths of a second.

And that is also ignoring the fact that even if you could phase align samples over their entire duration (by maybe re-building the sample structure?) then it will all be to no avail unless the respective loop durations are exactly the same length down to sample level.

Julian

I think this is what the Garritan Strad, and then Samplemodeling have done.

DG