Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,202 users have contributed to 42,384 threads and 255,447 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• Well done. Love to see a tease demo.

• Hi Dietz,

In another thread I recently read about the possibility to have a second microphone position (From your explaination I would guess that both positions can be blended/mixed together or routed to different output channels, right?) in the upcoming MIR pro. This sounds really like a fantastic feature!How tough will this be on the resources of the computer (will it demand considerably more RAM or is it primarily an issue of CPU power... or both)?

Same question concerning sending audio from the sequencer into MIR... I would assume this would be more a CPU issue that a RAM thing?

And finally... That new feature of VIPro2... that RAM buffer thing for SSD drives... is this relevant for usage within MIR (currently I am not working with SSD drives)? - the reason I ask this is that I always thought that within MIR there is no HD streaming anyway, as all VIs need to be loaded into RAM directly... so would this new feature have any effect on MIR performance anyway?

• Phew, many questions. ;-) I'll try to answer them as thoroughly as possible.

Re: Second Main Microphone: (This is one of the few features that's still under development, so the following description contains preliminary information. The actual implementation might be different.) - The plan is that the user will be able to select an additional microphone(-array) from the same Venue, most likely one that was positioned further away from the stage than the actual Main Mic. This secondary mic will have its own Ambisonics decoding parameters, also known as "Output Format" within MIR. As an exmple: Personally, I have achieved great results from an additional pair of cardoids pointed to the back of the hall, mixed in 10 or 12 dB quieter than the Main Mic.

The IR sets from both mic positions will be taken into account for the positional prerendering of the individual IRs for each signal source on the stage (or within any valid HotSpot area). This means that the CPU consumption of the actual convolutions won't change at all, just the prerendering will take a little bit longer. The amount of RAM used for the IR sets will increase, of course, but our developers have put quite some effort into optimizing that part, so chances are that MIR Pro's demands regarding RAM might be still lower than MIR's (under most circumstances).

Due to this concept, the secondary mic will have an own volume parameter, but this value will be the same for all instruments (like in the real world ;-) ...). Furthermore, it can't have a dedicated output of its own. Offering this feature would double the CPU load.

Re: Audio Inputs: This will put the same strain on CPU and RAM like any other source within MIR, minus the demands that an virtual instrument would have by itself (which might be a considerable difference, of course!), plus a little overhead for routing.

Re: SSD: You are right, MIR's IR-sets have to reside in RAM, but like I said before: MIR Pro will be highly optimized in this regard. IOW: While VI Pro 2 will benefit from SSDs, their positive effect for MIR and MIR Pro will be small.

BTW - for a (more or less) complete preliminary list of MIR Pro's features see also this thread: -> http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/28947.aspx

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Is a MIR Pro SE also in the works?  What might that look like, and would the restrictions remain roughly the same compared to the full MIR Pro (i.e. 32 instruments, limited fixed mic positions, etc.)?

Also, with all the changes to MIR, would it be possible to get decent performance in full MIR using a current generation Sandy Bridge chip, or would a dual processor setup remain strongly advised?

• System requirements won't change a lot for MIR Pro compared to now (->  http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1687/455/1666/1328.htm), at least not in terms of RAM and processing power. Windows 7 and dedicated audio-hardware won't be a prerequisite any longer, of course. :-)

We have had some discussions internally about the possibilities for a SE-version of MIR Pro, but there's no final decision made up to now.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

We have had some discussions internally about the possibilities for a SE-version of MIR Pro, but there's no final decision made up to now.

just hopping you will [;)]

MIR PRO with one or two room(s) [:D]

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

I did not dare to ask about MIR PRO SE, but please continue your internal discussions 😉

• :-D ... yes, we will do so. Thanks for your interest!

• MIR for Mac .. don't mind if it's Pro or not :P

• OK - any news on when MIR Pro might be with us.  I am looking forward to being able to use MIR within my DAW.....

• Hello How many licenses will MIR Pro come with? I would like the option of being able to use it on either my master or my slave PC. Thanks MOH

• MIR Pro will come with one license. You will have to swap dongles between the two machines.

As MIR is thought to be the final stage for mixdown (unlike a "reverb plugin"), this makes sense, I'd say. :-)

Kind regards,

• Hello Dietz. Is it realist to think that Mir Pro will be released this year? Thank you!

• Yes, definitely! Actually we planned to release MIR Pro earlier this summer, but then we had some additional ideas both for Vienna Ensemble Pro (which supplies the "framework" for MIR Pro) and MIR Pro itself . Beginning of autumn is a good guess fro today's point-of-view, I'd say.

Kind regards,

• Thank you again for your rapid answer Dietz, very appreciated! I'm really happy that it will be released this autumn, i can't wait for it! :p Maybe you could give me an idea about an other question? Do you have any idea when the string download section will be available? Is it planned to release one? Thank you!

• Dietz,

Is this true about both PC and Mac platform ?

Just eager... !

Alain

• last edited
    last edited

@Migot said:

Dietz,

Is this true about both PC and Mac platform ?

Just eager... !

Alain

Is what true? VE Pro has always been cross platform, and if MIR Pro works as part of VE Pro, I can't see that it would stop being cross platform. Or maybe you mean something else.

DG

• I think Migot meant MIR itself, which was Windows only up to now.

Yes, MIR Pro will be OS-X compatible from the very beginning.

Kind regards,

• October? November? December? =p

• I'm working on the manual already. 8-]